I always loose against pressing teams and/ or teams with a slow down offense. My offensive style is up tempo. Against other teams i have no problems. So is there any secret beating pressing teams? Can you make adjustments to overcome the press defense?
6/9/2011 2:28 AM
It depends on how you team is setup.  Show us your team and we will judge.
6/9/2011 7:48 AM
Posted by turnabouts on 6/9/2011 2:28:00 (view original):
I always loose against pressing teams and/ or teams with a slow down offense. My offensive style is up tempo. Against other teams i have no problems. So is there any secret beating pressing teams? Can you make adjustments to overcome the press defense?
I don't recall a slowdown/pressing team winning a title in the same league as me in a very long time.  I noticed in ur team "turnabouts" u used the WW way too often.  IMO, u basically should never need to use the WW in the nba sim.
6/9/2011 6:50 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 6/9/2011 6:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by turnabouts on 6/9/2011 2:28:00 (view original):
I don't recall a slowdown/pressing team winning a title in the same league as me in a very long time.  I noticed in ur team "turnabouts" u used the WW way too often.  IMO, u basically should never need to use the WW in the nba sim.
unless you somehow are able to get a $5M salary player for only $239k
6/9/2011 7:54 PM
rim shot
6/10/2011 11:10 AM
What is the WW? I'm a noob, sorry haha.
6/10/2011 8:44 PM
Waiver Wire

You can make changes after the season start by dropping players and picking up players off the WW.  However you lose $ with each transaction so it really shouldn't be used.  The only time it would ever make sense is if you have some glaring weakness (like just way too few rebounds) and you can make one move to improve.  Really though you should just spend more time building the team to avoid that mistake in the first place. 

If you need to make WW moves then your team is really already doomed for anything beyond barely making the playoffs.  Giving up $ is effectively giving up strength thus weakening the overall power of your team.
6/10/2011 8:49 PM
This is a true story:

There was a guy in the last OL I played in who just flat out dominated everyone by using the WW.

He didn't draft enough minutes, his rookies couldn't pick up the slack, and/or he didn't know how to manage his bench properly. So whenever his players got fatigued, he would hit the WW, pick up new guys, and play the crap out of them. He must've made over 40 or 50 transactions. It looked like turnabouts team where you had to scroll way down to see the bottom of the list of guys dropped.

But then one day, the WW closed and he couldn't pick up any new players. Oh no!

In the end, his team dropped like a rock, he missed the playoffs, and I laughed my *** off.
6/10/2011 10:24 PM
true story:

Guy uses the waiver wire, picks up a $5M+ salary player for $239k, proceeds to turn his team around, end up with a first round bye, knock me out in the 2nd round, get $5 off his next team and talk **** for the entire playoffs - or until Malone knocked his *** out - about it.

lol - he called me a scrub.
6/10/2011 10:53 PM
Wow, you get all kinds in the OLs, I guess..

I kinda want to join another OL just to hear some fools talk ****. and then when they lose I'll laugh and laugh and laugh some more.
6/10/2011 11:37 PM
Posted by ashamael on 6/10/2011 10:53:00 PM (view original):
true story:

Guy uses the waiver wire, picks up a $5M+ salary player for $239k, proceeds to turn his team around, end up with a first round bye, knock me out in the 2nd round, get $5 off his next team and talk **** for the entire playoffs - or until Malone knocked his *** out - about it.

lol - he called me a scrub.
Yeah only thing worse than his cheating was his trash talk while doing it.  Anyone eliminated by a team over the cap should get a free team automatically.  Shameful that wasn't done.  I'm glad he got knocked out (I think we all wanted that) though it still corrupts the whole league.  I swept my way to the Finals so I feel strong about my team but Malone had to face a guy over the cap.  He swept his first opponent but lost two games to the cheater.  I am up 3-1 on him but he is dealing with more fatigue.

I think my team is amazingly strong but I have little doubt that if our teams were 100% fatigue and matched together the teams would be split close to 50/50.  Obviously I want to win but I can't help but think if I was in Malone's shoes I would be ****** about having to face an over the cap team. 

When you start to consider even further that means that Ash probably shouldn't have been eliminated so maybe Ash challenges Malone and stretches fatigue for that winner even still.  So that lets me "off the hook" but what that does is make Ash & Malone the  absorbesr of the glitch/error/cheat/bs.  As such I feel strongly that Ash should get a free team even if no one else does and that Malone should get one as well if he does ultimately lose to me.
6/11/2011 3:27 AM
That last 2 paragraphs are speculation - fact is, everyone in the league had to play the guy, as u said ("...corrupts the whole league"). The cheater took advantage of a mistake made by WIS.

That affects playoff positioning for everyone, not just owners in his conference or owners who had to play him in the playoffs.

Every single owner in the league should get credit for a free team, except for him. How they did not is absurd and a travesty.
6/11/2011 3:49 AM
I don't disagree at all with what you say.  If WIS gave everyone a free team I would think it more than justified.  I think it is clear at this point that WIS isn't going to give everyone a free teamthough since they gave out the $5 credit.  I guess I was just stating what I feel is the minimum they should do.
6/11/2011 4:01 AM (edited)
Thanks for the comments about the ww.

But what i really want to know is what players/ what strategy do you need to win consistently against pressing teams? And on the other side which players do you want to have playing press by yourself?

Thanks for coming answers!
6/11/2011 6:35 AM
Sorry turnabouts, got a little off topic...
When teams press, a few things may or may not happen. This is according to the WIS FAQ:

Press - more turnovers/steals, more fouls, gives up more easy shots.

So to answer your first post, yes - you can try to experiment with the coaching options and make different adjustments - in other words if you are running uptempo all the time and pressing teams are always beating you, try something different. But there is no "secret" to beating pressing teams.
It also could be that those teams pressing you are just better. 

You really need to just play around with the coaching options against different types of teams and coaching styles to get a feel for how it works.
6/11/2011 7:58 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.