Unusual Recruiting Occurrence Topic

That was the point of the initial ticket.  Which prompted the response that I should always call my D3 recruits first...  Anyway, I asked them to look at it again and they didn't respond in spite of responding to the first ticket amazingly quickly.
6/14/2011 7:21 PM
And you can't call them, either. I was very frustrated with them a few months back and asked if I could call and speak to someone because it would be a lot quicker than typing everything out and they said no, submit a ticket.
6/14/2011 7:24 PM
wait, when this happened to me it happened to me at Muhlenburg when I had an A prestige.

So the whole concept of "lower d3 prestige" is bogus... this is a bug/glitch and they are refusing to address is correctly     
6/14/2011 10:05 PM
its cause cs is usually horible.  Half the time I dont think they have ever even played the game
6/15/2011 10:26 AM
Looks like they still refuse to address it:

6/14/2011 2:43 PM dahsdebater
This recruit (http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/RecruitProfile/Ratings.aspx?rid=2054531) shows up on my D3 recruiting list, but he's rejected all my recruiting efforts. Only cost me $200 since the only things I actually got charged for were the scholarship offers, but it really threw a wrench in my recruiting plans. What's going on with a D3 recruit who rejects even my phone calls?
6/14/2011 3:49 PM Customer Support
Thanks for the note. The 1 rule for recruiting at D3 and for recruiting with lower prestige schools is PATIENCE, we can not stress that enough. Once you have a good recruiting watch list, figure out who you want more than others knowing that you won’t get everyone you want and that many of your best players on the list will go to a better school than yours. At the very first recruiting cycle you send all of your D3 players a phone call and that is it. What happens when you send a phone call is 1 of 4 things. He will either reject your call which will wind up costing you no money. You’ll know this happened because you won’t get a response from him and he will cost you nothing This means he is not interested, don’t spend another cent on him. Second he could give you a mean response, something like oh if this is the coach from Juniata don’t bother leaving a message. This means he has no interest and you should remove him from your list and move on. Third he could say Juniata sounds pretty good tell me more or something positive like that, this means he is interested and will respond to your effort. The 4th thing you may get is a backup message, something like you are a fallback option for me stay in touch. This means he still thinks he can go to a better school but if he doesn’t get an offer than he will consider you. This is where pulldowns and dropdowns come in. When you get that message leave him on your list and just wait. If you see him consider another school then get rid of him. If he doesn’t get the attention he will eventually send you an email saying he loves you now and wants to know more. That is when you can recruit. An average effort on a player who you wind up not battling for will look something like this- keep in mind this is just a sample and can vary by coach or player, this is not a secret formula for landing a player a. First cycle phone call with backup message b. Eventually you hear back that he is now interested c. Send him a campus visit and scholarship offer d. He either comes back considering you or he needs more effort e. Repeat until you are on his list f. Once you are on his list and nobody else is you don’t have to do anything else, the only way you can fall from a player’s list is if another school outspends you so much that you get knocked off. There is no reason to keep sinking money into a player that is going to sign with you. Battles of course are a different story So again to conclude, find guys with good cores and good potential, call them and hope for a backup message, and then wait.
6/14/2011 4:06 PM dahsdebater
Thanks very much, but I know how to recruit. And what you described is exactly what I should be doing with my D2 recruits. Not D3. Anyone showing up on my D3 recruiting list should be recruitable.
6/15/2011 10:45 AM Customer Support
Jacob,

He should currently be recruitable for you, but since he has interest from a DII school it's going to be difficult to sign him.
6/15/2011 1:36 PM dahsdebater
This is exactly my point. He should be recruitable. He rejected everything including a phone call? Can you not see the recruiting history? He rejected HVs, 2 scholarship offers, and finally a phone call. He's not only not ready to talk to me, but he isn't even a dropdown/pulldown option. But he shows up in the D3 search.
6/15/2011 4:40 PM Customer Support
I think what happened is that Chaminade built up interest last season, but may not have shown up as considered until later on when other schools began recruiting him. A player is going to be difficult to sway if he has interest from a higher division team, which is why he rejected your efforts.
6/15/2011 6:08 PM dahsdebater
He was considering Chaminade from the get-go (prior to the second cycle, anyway, which was the first one I hit). And he STILL appeared on my D3 list even as he was rejecting even my phone call. I understand that it costs more to recruit a player out from under a D2 school, but any player showing up on my D3 recruiting list and rejecting my phone calls is definitely a glitch.
6/15/2011 8:21 PM Customer Support
Whether he shows up on your search is not related to what schools he's considering, so if Chaminade was there then that explains his lack of interest.
6/15/2011 9:25 PM dahsdebater
Is there any chance that you can pass this on to the programmers/developers? In the past this kind of thing never happened, and recently it has happened to several owners. It definitely feels like a glitch. Thanks.
6/16/2011 9:48 AM Customer Support
I'm not sure what you mean. It's always been a part of recruiting that a player will be harder to sign if he's getting serious interest from a higher division school.
6/16/2011 1:59 PM dahsdebater
Yeah, harder to sign I could understand. Rejecting my phone call is not "harder to sign," it's "impossible to sign."
6/16/2011 4:12 PM Customer Support
There haven't been any changes in this area for a very long time. Thanks for the feedback...we'll take it into consideration for improving the game.

6/16/2011 9:55 PM
I've just had the same experience - both with a recruit showing up as DII but rejecting ship and coaching saying I have no shot.  And same experience with customer service....well, getting no service.  Unfortunate.  Lesson is you can't assume that a guy will drop to you without a phone call first.
6/16/2011 10:08 PM
Posted by davisdynasty on 6/16/2011 10:08:00 PM (view original):
I've just had the same experience - both with a recruit showing up as DII but rejecting ship and coaching saying I have no shot.  And same experience with customer service....well, getting no service.  Unfortunate.  Lesson is you can't assume that a guy will drop to you without a phone call first.
No, that's not the lesson. This is not about "dropping" this is about a D III school trying to recruit a D III prospect. dahs, I'm stumped...  don't know what to suggest.
6/16/2011 11:13 PM
What I like is that they specifically said "he should currently be recruitable for you," he wasn't, and yet they deny that there is an issue.  Even though it wasn't working how they said it should be.  Their words.
6/16/2011 11:39 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 6/16/2011 11:39:00 PM (view original):
What I like is that they specifically said "he should currently be recruitable for you," he wasn't, and yet they deny that there is an issue.  Even though it wasn't working how they said it should be.  Their words.
Maybe you should ask them to clarify exactly what that means.  Perhaps when they begin to explain it they will see your problem.
6/17/2011 8:31 AM
Awesome.  I've got the same problem now.

My player is not considering me and I was foolish enough to try to recruit him and scout him at the same time.  So I'm out $1200 for this recruit which for D3 is nothing to sneeze at.  (Fortunately I started with $20k since I'm in the most radical kick-*** D3 conference ever, but if I had just one open scholly and this happened to me, I'd probably blow a gasket.  Heck, I kind of am right now.)
6/24/2011 2:27 AM
Posted by kujayhawk on 6/24/2011 2:27:00 AM (view original):
Awesome.  I've got the same problem now.

My player is not considering me and I was foolish enough to try to recruit him and scout him at the same time.  So I'm out $1200 for this recruit which for D3 is nothing to sneeze at.  (Fortunately I started with $20k since I'm in the most radical kick-*** D3 conference ever, but if I had just one open scholly and this happened to me, I'd probably blow a gasket.  Heck, I kind of am right now.)
I'm in the same kickass conference, and I have 1 open scholarship and it happened to me too. Only cost me $700 though.
6/24/2011 2:43 AM
You BETTER both send tickets...
6/24/2011 2:57 AM
Filled out a ticket, got the same response .... this is something that has been in the game forever and nothing is wrong.

So since WIS isn't going to address this as a problem, I figured I better give up on getting the player and go after another.

Naturally the substitute recruit also refuses to take my phone call and rejected my scholly.  Awesome for me, this recruit actually takes a home visit just to tell me he's never going to sign with Thomas.  (What?!?)  So I really blew a ton of cash on this one.

6/25/2011 2:32 AM
My most recent response from CS indicates that before you commit to expensive recruiting options, you need to first make a phone call or send a letter and see what happens.  If you get a favorable response, then you can do that.

This is really good advice that applies to all of you coaches that are getting recruits to commit in the very first cycle of recruiting -- YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!
6/25/2011 4:00 PM
Posted by kujayhawk on 6/25/2011 4:00:00 PM (view original):
My most recent response from CS indicates that before you commit to expensive recruiting options, you need to first make a phone call or send a letter and see what happens.  If you get a favorable response, then you can do that.

This is really good advice that applies to all of you coaches that are getting recruits to commit in the very first cycle of recruiting -- YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!
hahah funny     

6/26/2011 12:36 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Unusual Recruiting Occurrence Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.