Just curious....anyone tried below 10 before? 

What was your number and how did it go?
6/14/2011 7:55 AM
A few owners use 0 and swear by it.
6/14/2011 8:14 AM
Of the two categories with injury ties, Medical is the one you could skimp on if you wanted.  Here's the rationale:

Training PREVENTS injuries in the first place.  The higher your training budget, the less likely you are to see injuries of any kind to your players.
Medical limits severity of injuries.  So, once you do get an injury of some kind, the duration and ratings hit and ratings recovery rate are all effected by the Medical budget.

As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

So, the owners who swear by a $0M medical budget will espouse the importance of only recruiting players with high health ratings.  Since the injuries you do get are likely to be severe, you really want them to be as few and far between as possible.  High health would be especially important for any prospects (players you need to stay healthy for several years in order to give you value) or when signing an FA to a multi-year deal.    
6/14/2011 10:11 AM
Do those guys counter that with a 20MM Training budget?  I find it hard to justify the risk of a 0 medical budget for the benefit it provides.  It affects playing time and ratings for your entire organization.  So for your ML team, your players take a ratings hit and you lose their production on the field.  For your prospects, that ratings hit and loss of playing time takes a huge chunk out of what that player could have progressed into.  And for what, 3 $6-7MM players, or 2 $9-10MM players?  Being out for 1 month compared to 3 months is a big difference.

But I guess that's not the question at hand.  I, too, would be interested in what the experience is with a low medical budget.
6/14/2011 10:11 AM
I won't divulge other owner's strategies(even if I know them) but the 0 medical owners get there and stay there.    So, if nothing else, it's an indication that it can, and does, work. 
6/14/2011 10:24 AM
Posted by mhulshult on 6/14/2011 10:13:00 AM (view original):
Do those guys counter that with a 20MM Training budget?  I find it hard to justify the risk of a 0 medical budget for the benefit it provides.  It affects playing time and ratings for your entire organization.  So for your ML team, your players take a ratings hit and you lose their production on the field.  For your prospects, that ratings hit and loss of playing time takes a huge chunk out of what that player could have progressed into.  And for what, 3 $6-7MM players, or 2 $9-10MM players?  Being out for 1 month compared to 3 months is a big difference.

But I guess that's not the question at hand.  I, too, would be interested in what the experience is with a low medical budget.
Yes, sorry.  At least the 0 Medical folks I knew always countered it with $20M training.  Kind of required if you're going to go that low with Medical.
6/14/2011 11:51 AM
I'll weigh in since I'm one of the zero medical owners. I do concentrate on players with 90+ health and move training to $20M right away. My team in Hamilton has a team injury rating of 93, has played 143 games and hasn't missed a single game with injury all season. ( $14M training  on the way to $20M / $6M medical on the way to zero )

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Tacoma Timber Franchise Profile

When it does backfire, it's usually pretty awful. Instances are few and far between with high health players but they do happen. Here's one with $6M medical on the way to zero. My closer got hurt for 300+ days, will never gain back the points, and had 98 health to start. Also it probably cost me the playoffs since I finished 1 game back and his replacement had a 5+ ERA.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Derrek Borowski
6/14/2011 1:27 PM

I dont mean this to be mean, and it will sound that way, but are there any zero medical owners with a winning record?  And it would take some time to get high health players through a system so ideally I would like to see someone with a large sample size. 

6/14/2011 4:27 PM
Assuming he still does it:
leppykahn
  Owner Profile
Send Sitemail
  Block
Overall Record: 8055-6687 (.546)   Total Seasons: 91
Post Season Record: 183-185 (.497)   Division Titles: 33
Best Season Record: 120-42 (.741)   Playoffs: 48
Worst Season Record: 59-103 (.364)   World Series Titles: 4
Record vs. MikeT23: 38-47 (.447)    

And hbdgirl seems to be doing pretty well this time around too.
6/14/2011 6:04 PM
Thanks guys!
6/14/2011 6:11 PM
I'd rather have a few fender benders throughout the season than any that end in death...20/20 only...You get almost all the rating points back(sometimes even more ;)) and your players miss minimal time.. success imo~
6/15/2011 4:31 AM
It's just resource allocation. 
6/15/2011 8:57 AM
I'm running 20/20 medical and training for the first time this season and I'm pretty pleased with the results. My overall player health rating is an  80 which is dead average in my league. Most injuries I have had are 3 to 5 days and haven't even required a DL stay. However after reading this I will probably take medical down a bit next time around just to free up some resources.
6/18/2011 11:08 AM
Bump for ksho.
6/20/2011 9:25 AM
7/11/2016 12:45 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.