OT: Changes for Next Release Topic

Use this thread to post any changes you want addressed in the next release (no matter how far away that may be). 

Confere
nce Alignments—I don't see why we still must use 12 team conferences in HD. I understand that they don't want to give some conferences advantages because they have a higher number of teams (which equals more postseason $), but if we want realism, that is how it works so why not make other adjustments to compensate for that (I will get to those changes). 

The more realistic it is, the more enjoyable the game will be. Teams already have certain advantages that come with baseline prestige and this is an advantage that can be compensated for so I see it as a necessary change they need to make. Marquette and DePaul should not be in the Horizon and South Florida shouldn't be in the Sun Belt. This is a problem at the lower divisions as well. 

Also, while you may think that the small conferences would suffer, don't think that so fast, because smaller conferences would be splitting less cash; therefore compensating for the lesser chance they have at putting multiple teams in the NCAAs or NIT. 

Preseason Tournaments—The CBE Classic, Maui Invitational, Diamond Head Classic, Puerto Rico Tip Off, Coaches vs. Cancer Classic, Preseason NIT and Old Spice and Charleston Classic draw large national attention and deserve to be in the game (likely with altered names). Obviously inserting all tournaments could be too much for the Dev. Team, but how about we extend the period between Non-Conf. and Conf. play and put in 5 to 10 tournaments, with three rounds each. 

Now, the organization of this could cause controversy, but I think there is a simple solution; teams apply for tournaments during recruiting, much like they schedule exhibition games. You can only apply for one tournament obviously and there could be certain qualifications for tournaments (i.e. Team must have made NIT previous season, team must have made NT previous season, team must have A- to A+ prestige, team must have D- to D+ prestige, team must be in conference with B- or higher prestige). 

By the end of recruiting, the top 8 teams which applied for each get a spot in that tourney and winners of tournaments get some bonus cash to make it worth their while. (Nothing huge, maybe 3k to 5k for winning a big tournament and $500 to 1k for smaller tournaments). 

New Interface—I think we would all appreciate a fresh interface. They talked about this last time they had an update, but didn't take any action (besides in the forums). I believe that giving the menus a well-needed new look would go a long way in convincing users that the Dev. Team cares about doing the small, simple things to make us happy. 

Recruits—I think we can all support a new system of recruit generation. We don't need huge changes that would throw off the whole balance between old and new recruits, but evening out the range of recruits from top to bottom of DI is harshly needed. As it is, you need to load your classes at low-level DI to make a run in the NT and it requires a great recruiter, and some luck, to actually bring up a program to consistent respectability. 

The "Rich Get Richer" system isn't working and evening out recruits would do a great job in making up for the changes I want in Conference Alignment. If you aren't tired of watching high prestige teams swoop in and "poach" lower prestige teams' recruits (Not what I oppose. In fact, I embrace this as part of the game) with ease, and then leaving these teams with no other solid recruits, then you are likely at an A prestige school or you're just selfish because you want to ensure that you make the Elite 8 every season and that you don't have to worry about the George Mason's, or Butler's, or VCU's making deep runs and kicking you out. 
Job Applications—It should be easier to move up in DI, but it should also be easier to get fired. No team should keep a Sim AI as coach unless there is no reasonably successful coach willing to move up. I'm sure you guys have some good idea's on how to fix this. 

I'll give two examples of situations that make no sense in the areas of Hiring and Firing. 

Hiring Logic—I will use myself as an example because I know which jobs were available to me every season. Coming out of DII, I was reasonably successful. See below. 
44 car_crazy_v2 17-12 9-2 7-8 1-2 12-4   54 B NT At-large Bid
NT (1st Round)
43 car_crazy_v2 18-13 8-4 7-7 3-2 10-6   41 B NT At-large Bid
NT (1st Round)
42 car_crazy_v2 20-10 10-5 8-3 2-2 11-5   47 B NT At-large Bid
NT (1st Round)
41 car_crazy_v2 13-16 5-5 6-10 2-1 8-8   97 C+  

After departing from this school, I was qualified for D+ DI schools and obviously anything below that. But after two seasons at DI, where I made a NT, I still wasn't qualified for the majority of D+ jobs, meaning that schools looke
d at me worse than they had when I was coming out of DII. See the improvement my team made in my two seasons below. 

46 car_crazy_v2 20-9 10-4 9-3 1-2 13-3   62 C Conf Champion
NT At-large Bid
NT (1st Round)
45 car_crazy_v2 16-12 8-5 7-6 1-1 10-6   178 D+  
44 Sim AI 14-14 5-8 8-5 1-1 7-9   173 D+  
43 rajunrhino 14-13 9-4 5-8 0-1 10-6   175 D+  

In real life, if a coach made that sort of improvement in two seasons, schools would jump all over him, and I'm sure there are other, better examples out there. 
Firing Logic—Here is a case where a coach intentionally bombed and ruined his program, but he should have been fired before it got to this point nonetheless. See below. 

47 marengom 0-0 0-0 0-0 0-0 0-0   0 -  
46 wisefella99 0-27 0-9 0-17 0-1 0-16   294 B-  
45 wisefella99 0-27 0-18 0-8 0-1 0-16   322 B-  
44 wisefella99 18-9 14-4 4-4 0-1 8-8   133 B  
43 wisefella99 9-18 7-10 2-7 0-1 5-11   162 B+  
42 wisefella99 7-20 4-12 3-7 0-1 5-11   179 A-  
41 wisefella99 17-12 10-2 6-8 1-2 8-8   35 A+ NT At-large Bid
NT (1st Round)
40 wisefella99 17-13 12-3 4-9 1-1 9-7   63 A+ PI (2nd Round)

Now this is obviously a coach with experience and success, but when you take and A+ prestige school and fail to make the NT one season and then have two consecutive losing records, you should be fired, regardless of past success. As I said though, there are probably better examples so feel free to share them. 
7/11/2011 12:08 AM
too many of these changes are in the nature of change for the sake of change - "fresh look" - no need for that

and some of these sound like the usual over reaction stuff

there are a number of changes that seem pretty easy to make and which have been discussed in places like the suggestion forum that should come before any huge changes and before any cosmetic changes

for example, the last thing we need is a new system of recruit generation - which would lead to the need for a series of adjustments to that system - what we DO need is an adjustment that narrows the gap between elite recruits and the next step - see any of OR's explanation of his take

preseason tournys - great, but not a core need

check the suggestions forum for a number of simple improvements that could enhance the game

7/11/2011 12:25 AM
Isn't this what the Suggestions Forum is for?
7/11/2011 2:14 AM
good ideas, but there is a better chance of Lebron being clutch then these happening.
7/11/2011 2:42 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/11/2011 2:14:00 AM (view original):
If you are having trouble finding the Suggestions Forum, it is probably because you were not made aware of the new name:  Idea Graveyard.

That said, I would like an improved experience from the play-by-play, e.g. a 'live' box score, maybe a shot chart, the kind of thing you see on ESPN while the game is happening.  The play-by-play is where I spend a lot of my HD time and would appreciate some improvements in that experience.
7/11/2011 9:23 AM
Posted by _hannibal_ on 7/11/2011 9:23:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/11/2011 2:14:00 AM (view original):
If you are having trouble finding the Suggestions Forum, it is probably because you were not made aware of the new name:  Idea Graveyard.

That said, I would like an improved experience from the play-by-play, e.g. a 'live' box score, maybe a shot chart, the kind of thing you see on ESPN while the game is happening.  The play-by-play is where I spend a lot of my HD time and would appreciate some improvements in that experience.
Agreed.  A shot chart would also make it much quicker to gameplan, because you know exactly where your opposition takes its shots from. 
7/11/2011 10:44 AM
I'd say Seble is still more likely to look in the Suggestions forum than here.  Just because people stopped posting in it doesn't mean it isn't still the most conspicuous place to make suggestions from his perspective.
7/11/2011 10:45 AM
are we sure seble still exists?
7/11/2011 11:20 AM
Posted by childplease on 7/11/2011 2:42:00 AM (view original):
good ideas, but there is a better chance of Lebron being clutch then these happening.

Im just curious as to your definition of clutch? It seemed he was pretty damn clutch when he dominated Chicago and Boston.  According to 82games.com he is the most "clutch" player in the NBA?  Or is he not clutch because a team which shut him down in the regular season the last two years was able to do so again in the finals and unlike Kobe who gave away one finals and almost a 2nd to Boston last season, he's able to defer to teammate?  OR is it that Dallas hit 50% of their 3s which had they not he woulda won the title and it wouldnt be an issue?

7/11/2011 11:33 AM
If you watched the fourth quarter of any of the last five Finals games, you know exactly why he's being accused of not being "clutch".  He shrank from the moment on the biggest basketball stage in the world.  Dude couldn't get rid of the ball fast enough late in those games.  He acted like he was allergic to the damn thing.
7/11/2011 12:16 PM
Posted by mmt0315 on 7/11/2011 11:33:00 AM (view original):

Im just curious as to your definition of clutch? It seemed he was pretty damn clutch when he dominated Chicago and Boston.  According to 82games.com he is the most "clutch" player in the NBA?  Or is he not clutch because a team which shut him down in the regular season the last two years was able to do so again in the finals and unlike Kobe who gave away one finals and almost a 2nd to Boston last season, he's able to defer to teammate?  OR is it that Dallas hit 50% of their 3s which had they not he woulda won the title and it wouldnt be an issue?

As a former Lebron fan, I constantly argued with people over this. It was just meant to be a joke and really dont want to get into details about the matter. But he did not play well in the Finals and was definitely not clutch there.

His ego/decision was probably the worst thing that he could have done. From a pure basketball standpoint, Lebron is one of the best overall.  He just doesnt have the killer instinct when it comes to winning when it is necessary (in the Finals).
7/11/2011 12:17 PM
Conference alignment to mimic RL: Sorry, I don't like this idea at all. Going away from 12 teams per conference means significant logistical and programming changes, and would indirectly affect a ton of other elements, from scheduling to recruiting money to fairness of post-season bids (winning a 7-team CT would obviously be a lot easier than winning a 14-team CT). Plus, wouldn't you then also have to do this for D2 and D3? This could be incredibly frustrating for less-experienced players, esp newbies.

Imo, this is a case where realism has to take a back seat to what's best for the players of this game.
7/11/2011 12:20 PM

Don't you dare bring Kobe into this!
:)

7/11/2011 12:59 PM
Conference realignment isn't going to happen, and, even so,  it's about #1378312823 on the list of things that need to be corrected.
7/11/2011 1:00 PM
Posted by usc4life on 7/11/2011 12:59:00 PM (view original):

Don't you dare bring Kobe into this!
:)

No need to bring up the rapist and homophobe in here.
7/11/2011 1:12 PM
12 Next ▸
OT: Changes for Next Release Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.