What Is A "Fair Share" When It Comes To Taxes? Topic

There is a big difference between WW2 and this crap.The people you refer to choose to be there.Start drafting a few and see what happens.
I will admit I was wrong as far as them serving. However, I don't believe they should be there either. There mission should be over,Bin Laden is dead.

8/4/2011 6:58 AM (edited)
Your theory is stupid.   Go find another one. 
8/4/2011 9:42 AM
Posted by antoncresten on 8/3/2011 5:15:00 PM (view original):

REPLACE THE POOR STIFFS WHO'VE FOUGHT THE WARS FOR OIL WITH THE CHILDREN OF THE WEALTHY!

GIVE ME BACK MY LAND!

CUT OUT ALL COLD WAR ERA WEAPONS SYSTEMS!
STARVE THE MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX!
NOT AMERIKAN KIDS!

I WANT MY LAND BACK, TOO!!!

I'M ALSO PART INJUN, MY REDSKINNED BROTHER!!!!
8/4/2011 9:43 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.

HGWHD!!!!

8/4/2011 10:05 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/4/2011 9:42:00 AM (view original):
Your theory is stupid.   Go find another one. 
So in 72 years one of our rich citizens offspring has died in a war and my theory is stupid? I think not!
8/4/2011 12:05 PM
No, it's stupid because some people think it's an honor to serve their country.   You're pretending as if only the poor and downtrodden join the military because they have no other options.  

Some could say you're insulting every person in uniform right now.   Maybe you should apologize for being a dick.
8/4/2011 1:18 PM
And yet if you took a poll of current enlisted personnel at E5 and below you will find the motive for enlistment is no other options in at least 52% of the cases.
8/4/2011 1:25 PM
If you're enlisting in the military because you "have no other options", I'd say you're being rather myopic.

8/4/2011 1:29 PM
I would not disagree with you but that is not the point is  it?
8/4/2011 1:39 PM
It sort of is the point.   Of course, for people who think that way, it may also be true.  If you're so dumb or unmotivated that you think "I can't get no job.  I guess I better join the military", you're going to have problems in the job market.   And, of course, when they get out, they still have the same problem. 
8/4/2011 1:44 PM
You are over simplifying it. It is not that they lack the motivation as they look at it as an opportunity to earn and learn a trade. At least that was the experience of a number of troops in my command. The military has done a great job convincing a lot of kids in high school that there are educational opportunities in the service. The reality may not match the promise but that is a whole different subject.
8/4/2011 2:02 PM
That hardly translates to "have no other choice".

Post secondary education; you have the choice of money (university/college), or time (military).

And this is where you get into the philosophy side of the argument; I feel that the government should make that accessable to all. That's "the greater good"; the next generation that runs the country is educated.

There's lots of options on the how. Up here, it's alright. If you don't have the $$$, government lends you the $$$ interest free, and pay it back at fairly reasonable terms when you get out. I'd loosen that up even more.
8/4/2011 2:33 PM
It is their perception that they have no other choice. Just because you and I can see other options does not change the reality of the situation. Our lives are run by our personal perceptions and not someone else's reality.
8/4/2011 2:39 PM
Well, your multi trillion dollar debt is made from perceptions as well.
"We have no choice but to spend a shitload of money to fight terror"

We had a perception up here in Canada too; "you guys are crazy. You're big and scary too. We'll politely decline that insanity, but here, have some softwood..."
8/4/2011 3:08 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...44 Next ▸
What Is A "Fair Share" When It Comes To Taxes? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.