Broncos - Ware's the defense? Topic

Every team in the NFL has made the playoffs at least twice since the last time the Bills made it, and most teams have made it twice since the last time the Browns were there. The Redskins and Rams also don't look like they'll be going anywhere anytime soon.

But as far as the Bills and Browns go - according to you, E, every front office puts the absolute best team on the field each year that they can, and every team has a chance to win it all - so how do we have two teams that have gone 10+ years without a playoff berth?
1/24/2012 10:52 AM
Why did you have to group me with jtpops?   We were on the same side this time.

As far as being difficult, I simply ask people to elaborate what they mean when they make a seemingly stupid comment.   I'm sort of a humanitarian in those cases because I'm giving them a chance to clarify rather than assume they're just stupid.  When someone says "He can't be an effective QB if he can't complete 55% of his passes", I want to know why 55% is magical.  Why 53% is just totally unacceptable?  Stuff like that.
1/24/2012 10:54 AM
You and jtp are bff's these days, you always agree with each other.
1/24/2012 10:55 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/24/2012 10:52:00 AM (view original):
Every team in the NFL has made the playoffs at least twice since the last time the Bills made it, and most teams have made it twice since the last time the Browns were there. The Redskins and Rams also don't look like they'll be going anywhere anytime soon.

But as far as the Bills and Browns go - according to you, E, every front office puts the absolute best team on the field each year that they can, and every team has a chance to win it all - so how do we have two teams that have gone 10+ years without a playoff berth?
Because they suck at putting together good teams?

If the Bills didn't care about winning now, why are they paying Fitzpatrick $9M/year?  It's not like he's the QB of the future, he's just their best bet of winning in the short term.
1/24/2012 10:57 AM
And I did elaborate - E just didn't like my reasoning.

I didn't say anyone wants to lose, but do I think some F.O.'s are content to lose? Yes. Look at the Bengals. Even this year - they were supposed to finish last and struck gold with Dalton and Green. When the season started though, Brown's refusal to work things out with Palmer seemed like a huge blow to that team.

But if every team is putting forth their best foot to win, no team should go more than 5 years without contending/earning a playoff spot. The Lions were contentedly mediocre for a decade before they actually started drafting smart and developing good talent the last couple seasons. As I said, E, we may not get it because we believe in winning as the ultimate goal - but there are "business men" running some of these teams who put money first and don't care so much about the wins as long as that money is coming.
1/24/2012 10:58 AM
Bad front offices, especially where drafting and free agency are bungled year after year and doubly especially in a day and age when one bad top five pick(contract) can set your franchise back 5 years.  Do you think Al Davis and the Raiders didn't want to win?  So all of a sudden Cinci wants to win...so they draft Dalton and AJ Green....or did they just finally get it right?
1/24/2012 10:59 AM
Posted by deanod on 1/24/2012 10:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/24/2012 10:52:00 AM (view original):

Because they suck at putting together good teams?

If the Bills didn't care about winning now, why are they paying Fitzpatrick $9M/year?  It's not like he's the QB of the future, he's just their best bet of winning in the short term.
Some would argue paying Fitz that kind of dough ISN'T trying to win. It's possible that a team would throw that kind of money at a guy to make it appear to fans that they're trying, while they short change the rest of the team. Who knows? There are many examples of teams who didn't put a great roster together (ie: this year's Bengals and Broncos) who still made the playoffs. No team should go 10 years without getting there, no matter what.
1/24/2012 11:00 AM
Sigh, you should just keep your sports opinions to yourself like 100% of the time.
1/24/2012 11:03 AM
Posted by The Taint on 1/24/2012 10:59:00 AM (view original):
Bad front offices, especially where drafting and free agency are bungled year after year and doubly especially in a day and age when one bad top five pick(contract) can set your franchise back 5 years.  Do you think Al Davis and the Raiders didn't want to win?  So all of a sudden Cinci wants to win...so they draft Dalton and AJ Green....or did they just finally get it right?
Not what I said. I said Brown made a decision that could have really hurt his team, but fortunately Dalton turned in a ROTY-worthy performance.
1/24/2012 11:03 AM
Posted by deanod on 1/24/2012 11:03:00 AM (view original):
Sigh, you should just keep your sports opinions to yourself like 100% of the time.
SHouldn't you be celebrating with your Cam Newton blowup doll, now that he's going to the Pro Bowl?
1/24/2012 11:05 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/24/2012 11:03:00 AM (view original):
Not what I said. I said Brown made a decision that could have really hurt his team, but fortunately Dalton turned in a ROTY-worthy performance.
I'm just telling you why these teams have sucked for a lengthy period.  It has zero to do with not wanting to win.
1/24/2012 11:08 AM
You realize that the Bills are a loltastic example, since they traded a 1st round pick for Drew Bledsoe and his gargantuan contract following a 3-13 season during their non-playoff streak, right?  Was that them resigning themselves to losing?
1/24/2012 11:10 AM
Posted by deanod on 1/24/2012 10:55:00 AM (view original):
You and jtp are bff's these days, you always agree with each other.
Not this time.  He's arguing a retarded point.   I can't side with that.

"The Broncos are going to try to win next season.   Not like the dozen teams I listed who are fine with losing!!!"

See, that's retarded because GMs/coaches aren't kept around when they lose.  I think that's part of the reason Fox/Elway won't get behind The Great Tebow.   THEY don't think they can win with him.   So they would rather use someone else.    In truth, I think putting Elway in the front office was a stupid, stupid move by Bowlen that might indicate he has no desire to win.  Elway has no track record as a talent evaluator but he's a goddam hero in Denver.   If he Matt Millens it, how long does Bowlen HAVE to keep the legend around?   Far longer than he should.
1/24/2012 11:22 AM
Elway thinks Tebow sucks, so that's a checkmark in favor of his talent evaluation skills
1/24/2012 11:31 AM
Posted by The Taint on 1/24/2012 11:08:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/24/2012 11:03:00 AM (view original):
I'm just telling you why these teams have sucked for a lengthy period.  It has zero to do with not wanting to win.
I never said teams don't want to win. I said they're content if they don't. If a team does something for 5-10 years that clearly isn't working, that should be a very good indication. It doesn't take that long to see something isn't working. A team that wants to win, after 2-3 years would say "damn, this approach really isn't working - we need to make the necessary changes to our approach so the sucking stops."

The Bills and Browns, to name the recent examples, have been doing things the same crappy way for a decade or more - that indicates that they really don't care if they keep getting the same results.
1/24/2012 11:31 AM
◂ Prev 1...176|177|178|179|180...190 Next ▸
Broncos - Ware's the defense? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.