Broncos - Ware's the defense? Topic

The Raiders ran all over them.    Denver had like 35 yards rushing.    That's fine if you've got a top-flight QB.   Denver doesn't. 
9/13/2011 4:13 PM
And yet a wet ball slipping out of Orton's hand was likely the difference in the game.  When you run wild like that over a team and only win 23-20, the other team obviously did something right.

Which is another reason I keep Orton starting.  The Broncos had a middle of the pack offense last season...their defense was horrible. Their defense looked strong last night, holding the Raiders to FGs on three of those drives, twice on very short fields and once on a booming line drive by Janikowski. If their defense has indeed improved (and I'm not saying they have, there is still a lot to prove), then Orton and that offense give them a good shot to stay in/win some key games.

9/13/2011 4:32 PM (edited)
QBs are absolved of all blame if the ball is wet? 

First, it's the Jason Campbell-led Raiders.   Zach Miller is gone so he has Heyward-Bey and Ford as his big "weapons".   Ford is a game-breaker but he's not a top-flight WR.   So, with that devastating air threat, there's no reason any team should defend the pass.   As you should know, running teams don't put 40 on the board very often.  
9/14/2011 8:01 AM
BOBBY BRADY WOULDA HAD NEW WET-BALL RULE INSTATED
9/14/2011 8:15 AM
Posted by antoncresten on 9/14/2011 8:15:00 AM (view original):
BOBBY BRADY WOULDA HAD NEW WET-BALL RULE INSTATED
No...he would have thrown for 500 yards again.
9/14/2011 8:51 AM
I feel very confident in saying this week's game will be an easy win for Denver, despite last week's struggles. Their last game against Cincy was the epic 2009 opener when Stokley caught a last second deflected pass and took it 80ish yards for the game-winning TD. Hopefully this will help the Broncos right the ship a bit before they start facing the big boys.  This year's schedule is brutal with the NFC North, AFC East, and (as always) the Chargers twice.

Interesting note of the week: Kyle Orton is third among active QBs in career redzone TD-INT ratio at 53-3.
9/14/2011 11:25 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 9/13/2011 4:32:00 PM (view original):
And yet a wet ball slipping out of Orton's hand was likely the difference in the game.  When you run wild like that over a team and only win 23-20, the other team obviously did something right.

Which is another reason I keep Orton starting.  The Broncos had a middle of the pack offense last season...their defense was horrible. Their defense looked strong last night, holding the Raiders to FGs on three of those drives, twice on very short fields and once on a booming line drive by Janikowski. If their defense has indeed improved (and I'm not saying they have, there is still a lot to prove), then Orton and that offense give them a good shot to stay in/win some key games.

Was that fumble the difference in the game? Rather than a 90-yard punt return making it close only for the Broncos offence to mess up drive after drive with turnovers, penalties or poor throws? Orton finished completing about 50 per cent of his passes. Unless you can pound the rock, that won't get it done in the modern-day NFL. We've been down this road before, you and I.

I'm guessing you've come around to accepting my point during last season about Josh McDaniels being an arrogant and out-of-his-depth punk who mismanaged his relationships with key players. Eventually you'll understand why Tim Tebow was a wasted pick and the Broncos won't win with Orton.

On the positive side, it does look like Denver might have a decent shot at landing Andrew Luck.
9/15/2011 4:43 PM
I always agreed with you on McD.  I think he got a worse rep than he deserved, but he was out of his element. It was his first HC job and it went to his head.  He needs someone to keep him in check till he's a little more disciplined.

I don't fault him at all for the Cutler situation.  I fault him for the Marshall situation, though  Marshall certainly did his part to make things worse. I agree Tebow was a wasted pick.  Why do you think I'm arguing for Orton to be the starter? He's the best option they have.  I think Quinn has the best tools of all three, but he just doesn't seem to have the patience and intelligence (as far as grasping an offense) that Orton does. Though I wouldn't complain if Quinn got a shot after how he looked in the pre-season.  I'd rather see him in there over Tebow if they do make a switch.
9/18/2011 3:29 PM
Andre Goodman has got to be one of the worst CBs I've ever seen.  He's slow and repeatedly gets beat on passes, and at least 5 times in the first two games, he's contacted a ball carrier short of the first down, only to have the ball carrier blow by him or drag him for the first down.
9/18/2011 5:09 PM
Closer than it needed to be, but a solid win.  Defense came up big when they needed to, this time putting the clamps on a final drive.  Orton with another fumble, but efficient as usual, completing 60% of his passes, with 2 TDs and no INT.  Considering Lloyd and Royal were both hurt, I'd say that's impressive. Decker stepped up huge.

Tebow lined up as WR most of the game, but I don't think he had any passes thrown his way.  Von Miller is looking strong.
9/18/2011 7:25 PM
Denver looks like it was able to run the ball much more effectively this week.
9/18/2011 11:05 PM
Denver needs to clone Von Miller.
9/19/2011 9:07 AM
Posted by willgibson on 9/18/2011 11:05:00 PM (view original):
Denver looks like it was able to run the ball much more effectively this week.
They were, because Knowshon was hurt.  McGahee should be their #1 back.
9/19/2011 9:32 AM
Who have they played? wow beating Cincinati ..Raiders opened gaping holes in their defense that Oprah couldve scored on a couple runs
9/21/2011 7:41 PM
Here's hoping the Titans have to rely on Hasselbeck again this week, otherwise the Broncos are likely screwed.  Johnson will shred them.
9/22/2011 6:01 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...190 Next ▸
Broncos - Ware's the defense? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.