Broncos - Ware's the defense? Topic

Tebow makes more things happen ,they need to let him start and keep playing him thru his mistakes ..Fox is useless
10/10/2011 6:41 PM
The last play of the game will define Tebow's career.    He'll keep a play alive, make it exciting, throw a wobbly duck, two defenders will miss it because they're tired of running around and it will bounce off a receiver.    Broncos lose.
10/10/2011 6:44 PM
Poor Jesus Freak.
10/10/2011 6:51 PM
He is an exciting guy, give him that.
10/11/2011 12:42 AM
Tebow looked really confused on that play, doing a complete 360 in the pocket.  However, he will get better. I doubt he's used to the pace of the game yet from sitting on the bench.  That being said, his legs are going to help this team a lot. With Fox's playcalling, they need a QB that can move. He keeps opposing defenses a lot more honest than Orton could.

Interesting timing on the official announcement of Tebow as starter today, after Fox said Sunday they likely wouldn't decide till after the bye. There's speculation the Dolphins are interested in Orton again after Henne went down. Broncos aren't sure they'd want to face Orton in his first game as a Dolphin, but a trade before next week's deadline is possible.
10/11/2011 1:33 PM
He wasn't confused.   He just knew he couldn't run it 30 yards like he did in college.   The knock on him is, that no matter how hard he works, he'll revert back to what he knows.   The wobbly passes are bad mechanics.   So, when things break down, he's going to do exactly what he did.   Now, of course, Jimmy Claussen supposedly has perfect mechanics.   That's not working out so well.  Given the choiced of perfect mechanics or play-making ability, you'd think "play-making ability" would come out on top.   But Vick certainly seems to suck.
10/11/2011 2:15 PM
It's hard for Vick to do well when no one else around him is doing their jobs well.  When he throws for 400 yards and runs for 75 more and they still lose, that's not his fault.

As for Tebow, I maintain he'll get better. Will he ever have perfect mechanics? Not even close. But it seemed on Sunday, every time pressure came, he started to scramble and find a way to run. Once he gets more confidence in his O-Line, and more comfortable in the pocket, he'll look pass first, run second.  That'll take at least a few weeks to settle in.
10/11/2011 2:23 PM
I wouldn't bet that Tebow will look to pass first, run second at any time in his career.  He seems like a running QB in his nature and that really doesn't seem to change.  I'm also not saying that is necessarily a bad thing, as a lot of the running QB's try to become more pass first and it really messes up their game and their production.  As long as Tebow wins, I don't think it really matters how he does it, he just has to do it, and only time will tell if he can.
10/11/2011 2:29 PM
You can't blame all of Vick's turnovers on someone else.    He is throwing the ball directly to the D.  

I think he'll get better too.  Some of the talking heads keep saying "He'll never be an elite QB."  So what?   How many of those are there?  If he can hit open receivers, keep the ball out of defenders' hands and make the occassional play with his legs, he'll be fine.    Every QB can't be Brady or Manning.   I think Broncos fans would be fine with 17 TD, 9 interceptions and a playoff berth pretty much any season.  Most fans would.
10/11/2011 2:31 PM
Do you think that last scenario is likely in Tebow's case?  He's basically got a slightly watered down version of Vince Young's skillset.  Now, he seems to have a much better head on his shoulders and the determination to improve, but I don't know that you can really learn to pass at the NFL - and if he doesn't demonstrate he can beat you with his arm, defenses will eventually figure out how to take away his running game.
10/11/2011 2:53 PM

That's why I like him in Fox's system. Fox's offenses run a lot and don't take deep shots much.  Tebow can handle a short passing game, with an occasional deep ball. They're definitely going to need an AP/CJ type back at some point though, to really take the pressure of Tebow. 

As for his run first mentality, that may never completely change, but right now, it's like he's looking for the first reason to run. "Damn, that lineman is getting close, better take off"..."Oh, my primary receiver is covered, better run."  That part, I believe, will change.  He'll keep the itch to run, no doubt, but he can be taught to sit in the pocket for an extra second or two and evaluate all his options. We'll see what happens.

And PS: VY has nothing on Tebow at this point.

10/11/2011 3:26 PM
I think it's far more likely with him than VY.   I believe Tebow is far more likely to eat it rather than throw it into a group of defenders.   Had he been inside the 20, he wouldn't have thrown that last pass.  I think he tucks it and runs.   I think he was smart enough to know he's not making the end zone.   And while I doubt he processed this info in a matter of seconds, I think he knew if he gets tackled at the 6 in that situation, he's probably not starting a game.
10/11/2011 3:26 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/11/2011 3:27:00 PM (view original):

That's why I like him in Fox's system. Fox's offenses run a lot and don't take deep shots much.  Tebow can handle a short passing game, with an occasional deep ball. They're definitely going to need an AP/CJ type back at some point though, to really take the pressure of Tebow. 

As for his run first mentality, that may never completely change, but right now, it's like he's looking for the first reason to run. "Damn, that lineman is getting close, better take off"..."Oh, my primary receiver is covered, better run."  That part, I believe, will change.  He'll keep the itch to run, no doubt, but he can be taught to sit in the pocket for an extra second or two and evaluate all his options. We'll see what happens.

And PS: VY has nothing on Tebow at this point.

That's easy to say now, when you've got 5 years of VY's career to look at, while Tebow can still be viewed as more of a work in progress.  But VY was and is superior with his feet, and both guys came into the league with questions about their mechanics and accuracy throwing the ball. 

I agree with Mike - he stands a much better chance than VY of becoming a game manager-type QB because he's got a better head on his shoulders, but I still don't know how likely that is.  If he doesn't really develop as a passer (and again, I question how much that can really happen once you get to the NFL), it's going to be hard to build a successful offense around him - and I think you'd be stuck trying to win in the same mold as the Titans did.

10/11/2011 3:49 PM
I don't think anyone is going to outwork Tebow.  I'm not sure if he has the mental aptitude to be a serious pocket passer.   I don't know what his wonderlic was but I've heard it wasn't much better than VY's 6.  But he's not going to say "I think I'd live to learn how to read defenses" when he's 33.
10/11/2011 4:10 PM
I'm starting to feel bad for Quinn at this point. I think he's got a little something left in his tank, but no opportunity to show it.
10/11/2011 8:08 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...190 Next ▸
Broncos - Ware's the defense? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.