The long awaited WIS mea culpa...updates coming... Topic

Agreed. I found this site via CBBCL, which I'm pretty sure counts as word of mouth, or something akin to it. 
8/5/2013 11:39 AM
Posted by tarvolon on 8/5/2013 11:39:00 AM (view original):
Agreed. I found this site via CBBCL, which I'm pretty sure counts as word of mouth, or something akin to it. 
I found the site completely by accident. I was looking for a place to run some college basketball simulations, and this was one of the results Google spit out.
8/6/2013 12:18 PM
Posted by wildcat98 on 8/6/2013 12:18:00 PM (view original):
I found the site completely by accident. I was looking for a place to run some college basketball simulations, and this was one of the results Google spit out.
Similar for me I was searching for a football sim and I found GD but it was bball season so then decide to give HD a try and the rest is history.
8/6/2013 12:34 PM
Lance McAllister used to have a team here. He talked about it on his radio program and got me interested
8/6/2013 12:50 PM
Posted by patsrule755 on 8/6/2013 12:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wildcat98 on 8/6/2013 12:18:00 PM (view original):
Similar for me I was searching for a football sim and I found GD but it was bball season so then decide to give HD a try and the rest is history.
Can you imagine how fast things would explode here if they ever, you know, advertised the damn games?
8/6/2013 1:00 PM
I came via Sim League Baseball; once upon a time that game was advertised on MLB.com
8/6/2013 1:16 PM
I first discovered WIS in November 2001 when I was buying/playing Lance Haffner sports simulation games, which were really rather horrible DOS versions.  They promised Windows versions of the games in 2002 and it never happened lol.  I only ran a few exhib basketball teams with/on WIS back then, I forgot about it, then re-stumbled upon it in May 2003, when I bought my first team.  I was in email discussions with TK to do sales for WIS back in late 2003 because I thought WIS was "the best website no one's ever heard about", but eventually I was turned down.

A few people have wondered how this game/site would have fared had ESPN bought it (they were in the running apparently) as opposed to FOX Sports, and I personally think it would be eons better/further along than it is currently.  FOX Sports has just never given 2 ***** about this site...apparently they've put a lot of time/resources into other avenues, which is funny because, again, their fantasy sports products are far and away the worst of any of the major outlets...figures though, right?

8/6/2013 2:06 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 8/6/2013 2:06:00 PM (view original):
I first discovered WIS in November 2001 when I was buying/playing Lance Haffner sports simulation games, which were really rather horrible DOS versions.  They promised Windows versions of the games in 2002 and it never happened lol.  I only ran a few exhib basketball teams with/on WIS back then, I forgot about it, then re-stumbled upon it in May 2003, when I bought my first team.  I was in email discussions with TK to do sales for WIS back in late 2003 because I thought WIS was "the best website no one's ever heard about", but eventually I was turned down.

A few people have wondered how this game/site would have fared had ESPN bought it (they were in the running apparently) as opposed to FOX Sports, and I personally think it would be eons better/further along than it is currently.  FOX Sports has just never given 2 ***** about this site...apparently they've put a lot of time/resources into other avenues, which is funny because, again, their fantasy sports products are far and away the worst of any of the major outlets...figures though, right?

I wish that you'd gotten that job.  One of WIS's major issues is its utter lack of anything resembling real marketing/sales. The customer service (at least on the HD side) is awful as well. The only thing that saves HD is that there are no other viable options for anything similar.
8/6/2013 2:52 PM
A fantasy sports guy on espn.com linked to the Boston Sports Guy, who wrote about having teams on this website. I joined August 31, 2001. Then I've been on and off the site through deployments.

When I first got here, the majority of folks were local Cincinnati people.
8/6/2013 2:54 PM
I think the programmers do the CS, which is rather ridiculous I guess.  I don't feel like they're put in position to succeed, but by the same token, I don't feel like any of the programmers have "shown up" or broken the mold that they've been cast in either.
8/6/2013 2:58 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 8/6/2013 2:58:00 PM (view original):
I think the programmers do the CS, which is rather ridiculous I guess.  I don't feel like they're put in position to succeed, but by the same token, I don't feel like any of the programmers have "shown up" or broken the mold that they've been cast in either.
Well, that explains the distinct lack of "basketball literacy" that I've sensed in all my interactions with customer service.
8/6/2013 3:07 PM
Don't know if anyone else has, but I submitted a ticket with a link to tzentmeyer's original thread and a fairly polite, "So how is all this going?" Will report back whatever response I get.
8/6/2013 4:58 PM
Heh. I'd bet you'll get a "we're so busy, but after GD updates and creating more fox sports NFL games no one gives flip about, we'll be back to HD."
8/6/2013 5:01 PM
Posted by acn24 on 8/6/2013 4:58:00 PM (view original):
Don't know if anyone else has, but I submitted a ticket with a link to tzentmeyer's original thread and a fairly polite, "So how is all this going?" Will report back whatever response I get.
Now THAT will be interesting to see...
8/6/2013 5:01 PM
I really would enjoy hearing that myself
8/10/2013 10:13 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
The long awaited WIS mea culpa...updates coming... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.