Snowball Shootout Topic

Here we go again. 
7/23/2012 11:41 AM
It seems like the interest in this is pretty "meh" right now, so I thought it'd be fun to do a preview of the Upstate/Midwest matchups.  Before I even start, I'm pretty sure the Upstate is facing an uphill battle this time around.  I didn't want to get into gameplanning type stuff, just how I see the teams talent-wise.  Starting at #9...

9. Monmouth (RPI 8) @ Rochester (164)
Poor Rochester really isn't ready to be in the challenge, but was forced into service.  ahook took over a mess and only has 2 upperclassmen, so he needs more time to build.  I feel like I should call shenanigans on the Midwest having their best RPI in the #9 slot ;)  Should be 1-0 Midwest.

8. St Lawrence (67) @ Carroll (55)
Relatively even matchup.  StL has the better record coming in, but hasn't played anyone.  Carroll has played some tough games, but mostly lost them..5-4 overall.  I'd have to give the edge to Carroll because of much better defense.  2-0 Midwest.

7. Lake Forest (31) @ Chicago (125)
Not sure what to make of LF beating #2 RPI Augsburg by 10 and Chicago losing to them by 37.  But I think Chicago looks slightly better on paper, so I'll take them anyway.  2-1 Midwest.

6. Skidmore (27) @ Ripon (98)
I have to side with the skidmarks' top notch Per shooting here.  Plus Ripon hasn't beaten a top-100 team yet this season.  Evens the score at 2-2.

5. Grinnell (37) @ Hamilton (199)
I love Hamilton's defense, but the balance just isn't there right now.  Grinnell has been competitive or beaten the best teams on their schedule, and I think they take this one.  3-2 Midwest.

4. Case Western (140) @ Rose-Hulman (29)
Looks like a pretty even matchup on paper, although RHIT's schedule has been much tougher.  I'm a little concerned about CWR losing to a 200+ simmy last night, so I'd have to pick the defending champs here.  4-2 Midwest.

3. Depauw (25) @ Washington-MO (12)
A good matchup on board 3.  Depauw has blitzed through a light non-conf schedule, so it's not clear to me exactly how good they are.  WU has the #2 SOS and has only lost to very good teams.  I'm picking WU to hand Depauw their first loss of the season.  4-3 Midwest.

2. Brandeis (133) @ St. Norbert (56)
Neither team has really played much of a schedule.  Brandeis has dropped some games I thought they'd win, but did take Beloit to OT.  I have to pick the Norbs by a hair because of home court, but could go either way.  5-3 Midwest.

1. Beloit (20) @ Ren Poly (6)
This game wouldn't matter if things played out like I've picked, but it would make a great tiebreaker if things are tied up at 4-4.  Both teams beat Macalester by 10.  Beloit took down Hamline on the road by 3, with RPI losing by 1 in an exhibition.  Both teams have quality defense, but Beloit relies a lot more on TOs for offense.  If RPI can keep from giving away too many easy points, I think our better LP/Per and home court will be enough to eek out the W.  5-4 Midwest.
7/23/2012 1:49 PM
Give me 6-3 Midwest and 5-4 Minnesota.
7/23/2012 4:10 PM
Thanks for doing the preview, kb. I wish I had time to do one for Minnesota-Michigan.

This could be a very interesting Shootout. If things go as predicted, Upstate might lose for the second year in a row. Minnesota, on the other hand, is ranked first in conference RPI, and has a good chance to go from 4th best conference to 1st in only a few seasons. A Shootout win would make a statement.
7/23/2012 4:53 PM
Thanks for the preview, kb!
7/23/2012 6:06 PM
Goodluck snowballing everyone!!!!
7/23/2012 8:56 PM
Snowball Shootout Season 7

Championship Match- Minnesota vs. Michigan

1. Hamline at MBBC (89-74)
2. Finlandia at Macalester (71-73)
3. Augsburg at Calvin (74-57)
4. Adrian at St. Olaf (54-78)
5. St. Scholastica at Kalamazoo (96-77)
6. Marian at St. Thomas (56-60)
7. St. Mary's at Alma (67-54)
8. Hope at CCM (65-62)
9. GAC at Albion (84-63)

Michigan endures an absolute shellacking at the hands of Minnesota and loses 8-1.

At risk of boasting excessively about my own conference, I want to take a second to highlight just how lopsided this championship was. Minnesota scored 683 total points while Michigan scored 571. Minnesota outscored Michigan by an average of 12 points per game. You probably would expect that sort of point differential in a challenge between Upstate and SUNYAC, but not two "Big Four" conferences. Ridiculous.

It will be interesting to see if this year is just an aberration for Minnesota and Michigan, or an actual shift in power.  Regardless, us Minnesotans will relish this Championship domination for a while. 

Consolation Match- Midwest vs. Upstate

1. Beloit at RPI (79-89)
2. Brandeis at St. Norbert (75-91)
3. Depauw at Washington (MO) (66-87)
4. CWR at RHIT (55-57)
5.  Grinnell at Hamilton (62-60)
6. Skidmore at Ripon (78-89)
7. Lake Forest at Chicago (55-68)
8. St. Lawrence at Carroll (59-64)
9. Monmouth at Rochester (90-71)

Midwest wins 6-3.

Upstate loses a challenge for the second year in a row. However, killbatman posted a 8-1 record in his series predictions. That must count for something, right? 

Next season Minnesota will face Midwest in the Championship. Michigan will take on Upstate in the Consolation Match. 

Thanks again to everyone for your participation!
7/25/2012 8:12 PM (edited)
What a crazy, upside-down season this has been so far. Minnesota at the top of the Big Four and Upstate at the bottom? Madness. It should be interesting to see how each conference fares in the postseason. As of right now, though, Upstate only has two "Locks" for the NT and two bottom-end "Bubble" teams. USA South may end up sending more teams to the NT than Upstate. Oh where has that infamous Upstate dominance gone? 

Speaking of the postseason, I have compiled some stats about each conference's postseason success and will post them soon. Hopefully these stats will help us compare the Big Four more effectively, and add more fuel to the ongoing debate over best conference. 

7/25/2012 2:56 AM
Congratz Minnesota. 
7/25/2012 9:06 AM
Congrats Minnesota.  And take good care of the fabled Snowball, cuz we're coming to take it from you next season. 
7/25/2012 11:04 AM
Here are the final Midwest Conference rankings for next season's shootout:
1-Beloit
2-St. Norbert
3-RHIT
4-Lake Forrest
5-Carroll
6-Ripon
7-Grinnell
8-Monmouth
9-DePauw
7/26/2012 11:46 AM
Minnesota rankings:

1.  St. Scholastica
2.  Bethel
3.  St. Olaf
4.  Hamline
5.  Augsburg
6.  Macalester
7.  St. Mary’s
8.  St. John’s
9.  St. Thomas

7/30/2012 3:20 AM
MIAA Rankings:

1. MBBC
2. Calvin
3. Finlandia
4. Eureka
5. Hope
6. Adrian
7. Albion
8. Marian
9. Kalamazoo
7/31/2012 9:01 AM
Snowball Shootout Season 8

Championship Match- Midwest vs. Minnesota

1. Beloit at St. Scholastica
2. Bethel at St. Norbert
3. RHIT at St. Olaf
4. Hamline at Lake Forest
5. Carroll at Augsburg
6. Macalester at Ripon
7. Grinnell at St. Mary's
8. St. John's at Monmouth
9. DePauw at St. Thomas

Consolation Match- Upstate vs. Michigan

1. Washington (MO) at MBBC (slot #9)
2. Calvin at RPI
3. Brandeis at Finlandia
4. Eureka at Chicago
5. Case Western Reserve at Hope (slot #4)
6. Adrian at Hobart and William Smith
7. St. Lawrence at Albion
8. Marian at Skidmore (slot #5)
9. Hamilton at Kalamazoo

The schedule is now finalized. As always, please let me know if there are any scheduling conflicts or any errors in the above schedule. 

Thanks to everyone for your participation!

8/14/2012 11:51 AM (edited)
Upstate rankings:

1. Washington
2. RPI
3. Brandeis
4. Chicago
5. CWR
6. HWS
7. St Lawrence
8. Skidmore
9. Hamilton
8/1/2012 2:45 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...19 Next ▸
Snowball Shootout Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.