Usage - How do I use this stat to build teams? Topic

I'm finding that 110%+ usage (while running up-tempo) is working MUCH better than the 101-105 range when it comes to fg% fatalities & turnover troubles.

Take that for what it's worth.

(the above post has nothing to do with felon's post.  re: felon's post... that makes no sense as to why it would do that, but we're talking about WIS here, so making no sense is their forte)

2/27/2014 10:57 PM
ok -here's what I'm trying to get my head around - if you are on the edge of either the team or individual penalty during the game - as for instance my Lakers squad that was probably at 9 usage points for about 10 minutes a game - can that impact the overall performance of players who otherwise should not have experienced either penalty (as with every starter above)

say for instance an individual hits his penalty moment during the course of the game, does every possession thereafter suffer for it even given sufficient balance on the floor on those possessions

like (forget my Lakers example) if any given player for whatever reason takes 3 shots in 70 seconds who wouldn't otherwise take 3 shots in 3 minutes is he screwed for the rest of the game?
2/27/2014 11:59 PM
Interesting theory. It makes (WIS) sense. What about the opposite: i.e. team has too many usage points or too much cumulative usage on floor, but bring in a low usage player off bench- does that then propel your other 4 guys to better than average performance? Likely not, but just a thought.
2/28/2014 1:00 AM
One of the problems with that Laker squad (as I pointed out in another thread) is that there's no proper backup for Karl Malone.  It really puzzles me why you would've built a team like that.  I only see one player-season that I would've used.
2/28/2014 5:54 PM
so here's a random thought as pertains to the individual penalty - some portion of the real life usage # comes from FTAs, you never achieve IRL #s in FTAs in the sim which a) nerfs a players effective usage (which you paid for) AND forces him into more FGAs which then triggers his individual penalty modifiers - thoughts?
4/22/2014 1:35 PM (edited)
Posted by felonius on 4/22/2014 1:35:00 PM (view original):
so here's a random thought as pertains to the individual penalty - some portion of the real life usage # comes from FTAs, you never achieve IRL #s in FTAs in the sim which a) nerfs a players effective usage (which you paid for) AND forces him into more FGAs which then triggers his individual penalty modifiers - thoughts?
Yes.
4/22/2014 3:37 PM
I kind of want to say that you could throw out usage tiering and just focus on FGA/m such that if you always have 95+ FGA/48 on the floor you're probably in good shape for both team and individual penalties (in other words thanks to seble's inability to think in a straight line we've had this entire element handed to us backwards aka tail wagging the dog)
4/22/2014 4:14 PM
yeah, or make the penalty much more forgiving
4/22/2014 11:05 PM
Posted by felonius on 4/22/2014 4:14:00 PM (view original):
I kind of want to say that you could throw out usage tiering and just focus on FGA/m such that if you always have 95+ FGA/48 on the floor you're probably in good shape for both team and individual penalties (in other words thanks to seble's inability to think in a straight line we've had this entire element handed to us backwards aka tail wagging the dog)
I don't think that would be right either- remember that there are less fouls, ergo, less fta, in the sim. I'm pretty sure the difference is made up in more fga. But your theory does make more sense than the usage tiering idea we've had for the past few years.
4/22/2014 11:47 PM
well, my issue is this:  what sense does it make to have something called a "possession penalty" when the penalty is only happening because of FGA.  If a player's RL usage is 25% and what he does in the sim is 24-26%, he shouldn't incur a penalty because those possessions were more FGA (and almost always, turnovers) than fta.  I would say that the penalty is fine, but with all of my testing over the past year, I've determined that I believe the penalty is too restrictive.

And the double penalty of team & individual has always been dumb.  The principle with which they explained it makes some sense, but if you just have the individual penalty it accomplishes the same thing.

I gave up trying to convince admin of anything years ago, though.  I also gave up on giving them money.

4/23/2014 3:36 AM
Yeah, I agree, only having the individual penalty would work. It would still have a negative impact on team performance, due to increased turnovers. The way it is now with both indiv. and team penalties is like double jeopardy (getting tried for the same crime twice), something we as the people of America are protected against by the Constitution. Another philosophical rebuttal to the system: "The sins of one should not impact the lives of many".

It's funny that you don't have to pay for this anymore, and that, in essence, WIS is paying you to play this game. Just keep winning so they can keep paying your bills and the rest of us can benefit from your knowledge. 
4/23/2014 10:00 AM
Actually, technically, I think the rest of us are paying for ash to keep playing.
4/23/2014 1:24 PM
lol! good one, brad.

4/23/2014 4:07 PM
seems to be a rather good investment, at least for new owners like myself 
4/23/2014 11:54 PM
bump
7/20/2014 2:15 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...15 Next ▸
Usage - How do I use this stat to build teams? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.