Francona = scapegoat Topic

Also, and I forget who it was but a long-time coach or owner(Al Davis, Parcells, LaRussa, Jimmy Johnson?) said "Eventually, the players stop hearing the message.  When that happens, it's time to go."   They went on to say the lifespan of a coach was 8-10 years. 
10/4/2011 2:50 PM
Im not saying it wasn't time for Francona to go, I get that players weren't thrilled with him.  But to blame him for not making the playoffs isn't right.

I also believe AL manager might be the easiest job in professional sports.
10/4/2011 3:23 PM
I think a lot of players were thrilled with him.   They got to do what they wanted because he wasn't a "Quit being a dick" kind of guy.
10/4/2011 3:31 PM
I assume that means you don't consider hockey a professional sport......and I don't believe that managing in places like Boston or New York could ever be considered easy

I still can't believe the mistake-saddled GM is still employed here
10/4/2011 3:31 PM
coaching option not picked up = lame duck coach = douchebag players get to act how they wanted to all along
10/4/2011 3:32 PM
Hockey's easy?

I would consider being the manager in Boston or NY harder than other AL cities, yes.
10/4/2011 3:33 PM
Well, I'm sure deciding whether to let a pitcher hit or use a pinch hitter is mind-numbing but I'm pretty sure filling out a line-up card is about the easiest part of a MLB coaching job.   It's how you deal with guys who are ****** that they're hitting seventh, or not at all, that matters.

Billy Martin once said "There are 5 guys who like you and 5 guys who hate you in that locker room.  The key is keeping those 5 that hate you away from the 15 that don't care either way."    Or something like that.
10/4/2011 3:41 PM
I always thought that quote was Casey Stengel.  I get the feeling Billy didn't do a great job of that, but got the most out of his players in other ways.

All I'm really saying is, if the Sox want to blame the Sox's pitching woes in September (the reason they blew that lead) on Francona, I think they're very mistaken.
10/4/2011 4:06 PM
Perhaps. Maybe it was Martin quoting Stengel quoting Berra quoting Mack.

I don't think anyone is putting all the blame on Francona.  But it's a lot easier to move him and bring in the Larry Bowa-type than it is to trade the malcontents.
10/4/2011 4:25 PM
Don't be silly.  I'm sure Sox management is sitting back now saying "Well, Francona's gone, we're all set for next year."
10/4/2011 4:34 PM
Hockey is incredibly complex to coach.  In-game stuff goes so fast that you'd best be on your toes and know WTF you're doing.  It's easy to tell good coaches from bad ones.
10/4/2011 5:29 PM
nope.

bag of pucks.

dump.

chase.

trap.

look at me, I'm a hockey coach.....
10/4/2011 6:02 PM

AND A DAMN GOOD ONE I MIGHT ADD!

10/4/2011 6:13 PM
Heh.  Nice try.
10/4/2011 6:18 PM

Well, yeah, edso only has a starter mullet but, other than that, he's got hockey down.

10/4/2011 6:19 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Francona = scapegoat Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.