Posted by wrmiller13 on 11/8/2011 9:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/8/2011 2:06:00 PM (view original):
He's also a human.  I haven't read the grand jury report but it sounds pretty goddam sick from what I'm hearing.  Saying "I followed proper procedure" probably isn't good enough when one of your employees is apparently using the facility to prey on young boys. 

I can actually understand Paterno's reluctance to even believe one of his trusted coaches was doing such things.   But, at some point, you have to do more.

Herm Edwards put it right this morning when talking about the grad assistant.   He said(paraphrased) "If you witness something like that, it's your responsibility as an adult to protect the child.   You have to say "I may get in a fist fight.  I may get beat up" but you have to do something."    I think the same applies to Paterno and anyone else who knew of the situation.  You have to do something.
Agreed.  Not sure how another man, walking by, and witnessing what he supposedly witnessed, can just keep on walking.  Regardless of whose *** ends up getting kicked, you gotta step in and stop whatever was happening.
And that is why his story isn't credible.  I mean seriously if you saw an old man have anal sex with a 10 year old boy in a shower, you wouldn't just keep walking and do nothing.  I mean it just doesn't make any sense.
11/9/2011 11:21 AM
So, you're saying he made up a story about Sandusky and "lucked out" when it turned out years later that he was found to be a child molester?
11/9/2011 11:34 AM
That's what he testified to doing.   He put his situation(the desire to get into coaching) above the situation he witnessed. 
11/9/2011 11:34 AM
We all know there are potentially hundreds of millions of dollars riding on this whole fiasco and there has been since the first incident years ago.
So a cover-up at some level ensued, that much is now evident. Money issues were at the heart of the decision.

So why could they not come to terms w/ Sandusky distancing himself as far as possible from the university? Why was he allowed to remain a part of the school?
In that office years ago when that conversation took place, w/ whom we'll never know, why was a plan not put in place for Sandusky to quietly, over time get out of the area?

If he moved to the midwest to "branch out" his charity, at least it would have looked better pr-wise?

I wonder what each side had on the other for PSU to allow that pedophile to remain and roam his target grounds?

Just like moranis has suggested, some things are coming to light that just do not add up or make sense?

11/9/2011 11:48 AM
From PSU's standpoint, they didn't need/want the PR nightmare they would ensue with a pedophile coach being exposed.   As to why they just didn't say "Never show your face at this university again" instead of just taking away his locker room keys, I don't know.    It's entirely possible that the powers that be just didn't fully believe what the GA told them.  Or didn't want to believe.    I think it's entirely possible that his silence was bought with a coaching job.   THAT makes all the sense in the world.
11/9/2011 11:53 AM
Like I said yday, McQueary is a ***** and put his career first, ladderclimber to the nth degree....
Splitting hairs here, but it would be one thing if he saw the pedophile and a student in the shower. Possible consensual act.... But a pre-teen? Nope.....

At that moment, he worried about his future in his sport if he became a whistleblower, sure at the time he'd have been a hero of sorts.
But ultimately McQ feared football's version of the code of silence. He broke it and never would have gotten a job. And no he could not have stayed at PSU, it would be a recruiting issue and constant reminder. 
11/9/2011 12:05 PM

I think there are always going to be things that take place inside these football subcultures that don't make any sense to those outside them.  In the case of McQuerey specifically, the guy grew up in State College.   Sandusky would have been a legend/icon to him long before he played or coached there.  Along with the various career concerns, and the simple shock of seeing this, I don't think it's at all implausible for him to have seen what he says he saw and done nothing in the moment.

None of that is to excuse the inaction in anyway, but moranis's idea that the lack of action gives his story a lack of credibility is silly.

11/9/2011 12:15 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 11/9/2011 11:34:00 AM (view original):
So, you're saying he made up a story about Sandusky and "lucked out" when it turned out years later that he was found to be a child molester?
I'm sure he saw something inappropriate, just not to that extreme level
11/9/2011 12:34 PM
I took moranis's statement more as "something's fishy here" in the  re-telling of the story.  As in "we're  being told a whitewashed version", as opposed to a fabrication issue.

Something went down, but the details in the current version just don't seem to be right.
Either way (and I agree McQ probably revered the pedophile) he could have done something more than call his father and go home, right? After all he was a grad student/assistant, not a recruit or a freshman. And just like getting a DUI (oh it was the first time I EVER drank and drove), I believe there had to be other instances of odd behaviours.....
C'mon it takes a load of ego/brashness for Sandusky to assault a child in the shower on Campus?
11/9/2011 12:36 PM
Posted by moranis on 11/9/2011 12:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 11/9/2011 11:34:00 AM (view original):
I'm sure he saw something inappropriate, just not to that extreme level
And, in your mind, to what end is he embellishing the story now?
11/9/2011 12:38 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 11/9/2011 12:37:00 PM (view original):
And, in your mind, to what end is he embellishing the story now?
I have no idea, but it just doesn't make sense that anyone would let a child be raped.  
11/9/2011 12:39 PM
Quoting Jay Bilas, "This has been a conspiracy of cowards."

Well said....
11/9/2011 12:41 PM
Posted by moranis on 11/9/2011 12:39:00 PM (view original):
I have no idea, but it just doesn't make sense that anyone would let a child be raped.  

I think it makes more sense that he would fail to act due to one or a combination of any number of fears than it does that he would start lying about what he saw in front of a grand jury 7-8 years later.

11/9/2011 12:45 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 11/9/2011 12:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 11/9/2011 12:39:00 PM (view original):

I think it makes more sense that he would fail to act due to one or a combination of any number of fears than it does that he would start lying about what he saw in front of a grand jury 7-8 years later.

If your son told you he saw someone raping a 10 year old boy, what would you do?  I mean seriously, it just isn't credible that that many people, including McQueary's father, wouldn't have called the police if they had been told of a child rape. 

It just doesn't make sense. 

Perhaps McQueary is embellishing now because Victim #2's family spoke to him and need corroboration, maybe he felt bad about how he handled it so he is being over zealous now, maybe his memory is fuzzy but he heard of a rape and thinks that is how it happened, etc.  Plenty of reasons people embellish stories after the fact.

11/9/2011 12:50 PM
Ever been to Happy Valley? PSU is a city. The university IS the town. JoPa is a deity. The program is penultimate. And everyone knows it.
I am not conducting a witchhunt, just stating facts. The school is alot different than a Boston College or a FSU. The "extreme" rural location does help foster these ideas. Hurt PSU, hurt the town...

Maybe alot more people WERE told, but for the good of the Blue and White, it WAS whitewashed....
11/9/2011 12:56 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...20 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.