What does it say if USC wins the national title this year?  Coming off big time probation and still under a loss of scholarship penalty. 

8/19/2012 7:15 PM
Debatable if USC even deserved the sanctions they got.

What does it say? It says a two year postseason ban and the loss of some scholarships isn't going to have much of an effect on the most successful football school in the most populous state.
8/19/2012 11:10 PM
put me in the category that usc didn't exactly deserve what they got.  for that matter how in the heck is any college coach suppose to stop one of his players from taking money.  it is impossible to police all your players.  if reggie bush doesn't get greedy and pays his first agent the money he owed him none of the use stuff would of become public knowledge.
8/20/2012 3:38 PM
Posted by cravedogg on 8/20/2012 3:38:00 PM (view original):
put me in the category that usc didn't exactly deserve what they got.  for that matter how in the heck is any college coach suppose to stop one of his players from taking money.  it is impossible to police all your players.  if reggie bush doesn't get greedy and pays his first agent the money he owed him none of the use stuff would of become public knowledge.
well they got hit with lack of institutional control which means it was more than just a player taking some cash.  I mean look at Ohio State, it didn't even get hit with that and there were multiple players getting improper benefits.  There must have been something with Bush that should have alerted the school something was going on.  I think it also doesn't help that the basketball program had issues at the same time.
8/20/2012 5:03 PM
What, exactly, is the NCAA supposed to do when a player is getting paid?   Wouldn't every program say "It's impossible to police all these guys"?

I agree that it's damn near impossible.  However, when someone gets caught, you have to punish the program.   And it needs to be a pretty severe punishment in order to discourage other schools from letting it happen.
8/20/2012 5:29 PM
The Ohio St punishment was ridiculously light in comparison to what got handed to USC. The inconsistency with the rulings the NCAA makes is terrible.
8/21/2012 12:12 PM
Bush was taking a lot more than free tats for autographs.    I don't think the two situations are comparable.  And, as has been mentioned, there was a concurrent problem with the basketball program.
8/21/2012 12:19 PM
9/1/2012 3:26 PM
Indeed.
9/1/2012 5:16 PM
Its going to be a long season.  And its going to get worse before it gets better.  Remember, PSU students are allowed free transfer until the beginning of next year.  They went the solidarity route this year because there just wasn't enough time for most players to go to another school, learn the system, and make an impact.  If this is what the current team is going to provide, I'd expect a mass exodus after the season is over.  In a couple years, they might be excited to lead Ohio at halftime.
9/2/2012 8:40 AM
Penn State will lucky to fill a 1/3 of their stadium by the middle of next season
9/2/2012 12:02 PM
hmm...
10/6/2012 11:46 PM
"They can take away my life, they can make me out as a monster, they can treat me as a monster, but they can't take away my heart. In my heart, I know that I did not do these alleged disgusting acts,"

10/8/2012 7:49 PM

Anyone predicting gloom and doom for PSU this year should probably delete their post.

The rest of us will lol at Silas Redd while you do that.

11/26/2012 4:35 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/24/2012 9:10:00 AM (view original):
From a football standpoint, they got crushed.  Essentially recruiting is dead for the next three years.  With the expected exodus of the lower classmen(why would they stick around knowing they'll never win or play in a bowl?), PSU is looking at 3-9 seasons for the next 5-7 seasons. Then they can start rebuilding the program.  But it will never be the same as it was in the 80s.   Of course, after this season, they'll still make a lot of money because PSU fans are still going to be PSU fans.   They may curse Sandusky and even speak ill of Paterno but alumni and State College residents aren't going to turn their back on the program.

From a human standpoint, nothing was really going to "enough" or actually "undo" the damage.  The people involved in the cover-up will go to jail, if they don't take the easy way out and die first, but that doesn't change what happened.  The victims always have to live with the crime.
you mean like yourself.
11/26/2012 4:39 PM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19|20 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.