Bah, replace the board then replace the President.  Penn State administration needs a reboot.
7/27/2012 9:17 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/27/2012 8:04:00 AM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 7/26/2012 4:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/26/2012 3:11:00 PM (view original):
Yes, PSU should fight long and hard against the sanctions.   That will sit well in the court of public opinion and should get them back in good graces in no time flat. 

PUT JOPA'S STATUE BACK!!!!!  IN A MORE PROMINENT LOCATION!!!!
That wasn't my point at all.  My point was the President of Penn State secretly met and negotiated a settlement without informing the Board of Trustees so that he could protect the football program.  That is exactly why the NCAA came down so hard on Penn State to begin with.  There is clearly not a culture change at the school and procedures, protocols, etc. were clearly not followed.  And if Erickson was doing this, what else has he done and what else has he kept from the Board of Trustees.  What happens the next time an issue with the football program arises?  Does Erickson tell the Board or does he just act on his own. 

If I'm on the Board of Trustees at Penn State, I would call for Erickson's immediate firing because he clearly didn't learn from his predecessor. 
There are times when too many voices slow and confuse the process.   The NCAA wanted to lay down some sanctions.  They were not going to wait for PSU to meet, discuss, disagree, discuss, meet again, disagree, discuss and finally let the NCAA know what they'd accept.   Sometimes someone has to take charge.   Erickson did.   If the BoT doesn't like it, I'm sure it's within their power to send him on his way.
Oh I don't doubt the NCAA wanted one voice, my only issue is that Erickson should have let the Board know and the Board should have determined who that one voice was going to be. 

And why couldn't the NCAA wait.  There was no immediate need to rush in a decision.  The Freeh Report was out for like a week, another week or two wasn't going to hurt anything.
7/27/2012 9:26 AM
When he was made President of PSU, he was made that one voice.

If the plan included the ability for the current players to move, they needed to move now.  If I'm not mistaken, most college teams start fall practice next week.   Essentially the players have been given a week to make a decision.   Waiting another week or two doesn't leave them many options.  They're already behind as they didn't have spring practice with the new team.  The NCAA was doing everything within their power to not punish the current student-athletes.
7/27/2012 9:37 AM
That's just silly.
7/28/2012 12:15 AM
Zoinks!  LSU kicked Honey Badger off the team and all of a sudden the SEC is a leader in Morality and Purity. 

Well maybe not.  Still, I'd say the Penn State fiasco has already had (and will continue to have) an effect on the college football landscape.
8/10/2012 3:54 PM
Posted by cydrych on 8/10/2012 3:54:00 PM (view original):
Zoinks!  LSU kicked Honey Badger off the team and all of a sudden the SEC is a leader in Morality and Purity. 

Well maybe not.  Still, I'd say the Penn State fiasco has already had (and will continue to have) an effect on the college football landscape.
Did the same with Perriloux in 08.

Les Miles has shown twice now, you WILL follow the rules or you WILL be dismissed regardless of talent level or impact on the team's NC goals.

Hats off to him and LSU
8/14/2012 4:01 PM
Let's not pretend that the Honey Badger didn't have a replacement.    He does.   It's easier for the LSUs of the world to kick a player off the team.   Jefferson got into a bit of trouble last season.   As I recall, he was the QB against Alabama in January. 

Spurrier kicked his starting QB off the team last season for a failed drug test.  Let's just say I don't think that happens if he didn't think Connor Shaw was ready.
8/14/2012 4:20 PM
But with Perriloux, that FORCED LSU to start Lee/Jefferson, and probably to the detriment of both, as neither were ready. Lee never fully recovered from the shell shock of all of those pick 6's.

Jefferson's trouble was questionable. He was released and his charges were reduced to a misdemeanor. Had the grand jury not lessened the charge, I don't think you'd have seen Jefferson back.
8/14/2012 4:30 PM
Lee and Jefferson were both SR's. If they weren't ready then, they never would be.

I seriously doubt the Penn St thing had anything to do with LSU disciplining players.

Oklahoma kicks players off the team and suspends players quite frequently.
8/14/2012 4:52 PM
Typical.

08 they were true freshman...
8/14/2012 5:12 PM (edited)
LSU has standards?

News to me.
8/14/2012 5:35 PM
Gotcha
8/14/2012 6:13 PM
Well, Garcia was simply a ****-up SR starting QB for a top 10 team.   Spurrier showed him the door for failing a drug test during the season.    Now, if you want to say a CB/PR has a bigger impact on a team, I guess you can.    You'd be wrong but you could say that. 

LSU, like all big programs, have enough talent to overcome the loss of one player.    It's nice that Miles sent the Smokin' Badger away but let's not pin a medal on his chest.
8/14/2012 7:15 PM
Honey Badger was on his last chance with LSU, he had been caught several times before.  You only get so many chances.

LSU will be fine, they have plenty of talent on the defensive side of the ball.

8/19/2012 7:13 PM
◂ Prev 1...15|16|17|18|19|20 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.