Acting like he didn't say "What did you witness?" is also a bit of a stretch.   I actually think his recent "state of mind" at press conferences might buy him some leeway("I don't know!!!") but he's not walking away unscathed.  Best case scenario is he walks away this week with a "For the good of the program, I'm going to resign as this recent matter is too much of a distraction."    And the GA who witnessed the act should do the same thing.
11/8/2011 3:48 PM
Posted by moranis on 11/8/2011 3:41:00 PM (view original):
As my grand jury testimony stated, I was informed in 2002 by an assistant coach that he had witnessed an incident in the shower of our locker room facility. It was obvious that the witness was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the Grand Jury report. Regardless, it was clear that the witness saw something inappropriate involving Mr. Sandusky. As Coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators.

That is from Paterno.  Acting like he knew what was in the Grand Jury testimony 10 years later is a gigantic stretch.  Blaming Paterno for not looking into further is also a stretch when he had no idea what happened, other then something inappropriate.  Maybe he thought Sandusky was merely around when the kid was showering, inappropriate sure, but not exactly the end of the world and certainly not what allegedly happened.  The Grad Student should have gone to the police and the University should have done a better investigation and banned Sandusky from the facilities, but a brief mention of something inappropriate by a grad student assistant to Paterno without more shouldn't be the downfall of Joe Pa. 
You say brief mention like he tossed it out there on the sideline during a practice.  He called him and then went to his house on a Saturday morning and even Paterno referred to him as distraught over what he saw.   We obviously don't know, but if that's what happened and Joe didn't get the facts at that time, it's because he didn't want them.
11/8/2011 4:07 PM
how do you pass this up the chain before you know the facts?

if the GA goes to paterno, and states "i have some serious info you need to know". does paterno stop him and request the GA first speak to school officials.

11/8/2011 4:42 PM
I refuse to believe that Paterno didn't talk with Sandusky about this.  If someone who is obviously very bothered by what they (think they) saw calls and makes special arrangements to come to my house, then tells me something about a friend who I've been close to for over 30 years, there is no way I am not going to ask that friend why I was being told this.
11/8/2011 4:44 PM
Yeah, "My GA saw something with Sandusky.  Don't really know what" doesn't make a lot of sense.   Unless, like AC stated, he didn't want to know.   Which might be possible as he didn't want to hear anything about his trusted assistant.   If I'm not mistaken, there were a lot of player problems with the law that Paterno claimed to have no knowledge of.   I do get the feeling he's been doing a lot of delegating over the last few years. 

That still doesn't let him off the hook if the GA said "Sandusky, 10 year old boy, shower, naked" in the same sentence. 
11/8/2011 4:47 PM
The only thing I can think of that would help me feel remorse for Paterno.  Let's say he's a close friend of Sandusky.  Your GA, who you don't know well, tells you this.  It's possible, thinking he knows Sandusky well, that he does not believe his GA.  If someone I didn't know well told me they saw one of my friends doing something as outrageous as this, it's possible I don't believe them.

I do blame Paterno for not doing more, and he should lose his job.  But it's very possible Paterno was in a tough spot morally, and it's impossible to say how any of us would have reacted.   McQueary saw this incident.  He needs to make sure Sandusky is arrested.
11/8/2011 4:53 PM
From the grand jury report:

Joseph V. Paterno testified to receiving the graduate assistant's report at his home on a Saturday morning. Paterno testified that the graduate assistant was very upset. Paterno called Tim Curley ("Curley"), Penn State Athletic Director and Paterno's immediate superior, to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the graduate assistant had seen Jerry Sandusky in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy.

"I don't know what they were doing" doesn't work.   Maybe a follow-up call could have been made.
11/8/2011 5:00 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/8/2011 4:47:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, "My GA saw something with Sandusky.  Don't really know what" doesn't make a lot of sense.   Unless, like AC stated, he didn't want to know.   Which might be possible as he didn't want to hear anything about his trusted assistant.   If I'm not mistaken, there were a lot of player problems with the law that Paterno claimed to have no knowledge of.   I do get the feeling he's been doing a lot of delegating over the last few years. 

That still doesn't let him off the hook if the GA said "Sandusky, 10 year old boy, shower, naked" in the same sentence. 
you forgot to list 'penetration'.
11/8/2011 5:02 PM
Posted by dwise89 on 11/8/2011 1:47:00 PM (view original):
Sadly Joe Paterno isn't a trustee, president, or board member. He is just a coach. No different than a cross country, volleyball, golf, swimming, soccer, basketball, or hockey coach. He followed proper procedures laid out by supervisors and because of their poor judgement in putting the schools image first his career will be ending in shame rather than glory. It's frustrating to see the best football coach in the history of college football to go down like this. Thanks for all the memories, national championships, undefeated seasons, etc.
Yeah- and he completely freaking failed as a human being.

Kids RAPED?

Penn State has lost any honor or repsect they had.
11/8/2011 6:25 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/8/2011 2:06:00 PM (view original):
He's also a human.  I haven't read the grand jury report but it sounds pretty goddam sick from what I'm hearing.  Saying "I followed proper procedure" probably isn't good enough when one of your employees is apparently using the facility to prey on young boys. 

I can actually understand Paterno's reluctance to even believe one of his trusted coaches was doing such things.   But, at some point, you have to do more.

Herm Edwards put it right this morning when talking about the grad assistant.   He said(paraphrased) "If you witness something like that, it's your responsibility as an adult to protect the child.   You have to say "I may get in a fist fight.  I may get beat up" but you have to do something."    I think the same applies to Paterno and anyone else who knew of the situation.  You have to do something.
Agreed.  Not sure how another man, walking by, and witnessing what he supposedly witnessed, can just keep on walking.  Regardless of whose *** ends up getting kicked, you gotta step in and stop whatever was happening.
11/8/2011 9:58 PM
Step 1 in the books..................Paterno just announced he is going to step down at the end of the season...
11/9/2011 10:02 AM
Penn St should get teh death penalty here in football.
11/9/2011 10:23 AM
From reading the report, it seems to me that red flags should have been raised with anybody who knew Sandusky.  He apparently showed up to more functions, games, outings with young boys than he did with his wife!

How could anybody be blind to that fact???  So for Paterno to not believe the GA because he has been "friends" with this psycho predator is outrageous.

11/9/2011 10:57 AM
I'm not sure that's fair.   There are lots of men who do plenty good with mentoring youth.   Not all are pedophiles.   Sandusky was a LB coach at Linebacker U and a family man.  I don't think anyone would have reasonably expected him to prey on boys.
11/9/2011 11:13 AM
Posted by cpdpoet on 11/9/2011 10:02:00 AM (view original):
Step 1 in the books..................Paterno just announced he is going to step down at the end of the season...
Classic Joe...done on his own terms...

God forbid he stepped away NOW and removed the distraction from the team.  Really goes to his thinking on Sandusky.  Couldnt have anything derail the drive to get past Bowden and Robinson.

He is a me guy plain and simple.
11/9/2011 11:26 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...20 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.