Posted by MikeT23 on 11/9/2011 1:53:00 PM (view original):
Most is a majority.   I think those who'll walk past a situation that doesn't affect them, could put them in danger but they should help anyway is way more than 51%. 
for most things that is probably correct, but not for child rape.  It is so reprehensible that the vast majority of the population would do something.
11/9/2011 2:01 PM
I can agree w/ you Mike that more than 51% will turn a blind eye/feign not seeing something if it puts them on the line.
It is often way too hard to do the right thing.

But some instances call for something bigger than yourself.

Even if it is "anonymous" calls to the police or the Philly/Pitts papers....
11/9/2011 2:11 PM (edited)
Posted by moranis on 11/9/2011 2:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/9/2011 1:53:00 PM (view original):
Most is a majority.   I think those who'll walk past a situation that doesn't affect them, could put them in danger but they should help anyway is way more than 51%. 
for most things that is probably correct, but not for child rape.  It is so reprehensible that the vast majority of the population would do something.
Please refer to my 1:19 post.
11/9/2011 2:07 PM
Posted by edsortails on 11/9/2011 1:59:00 PM (view original):
again...you see a domestic dispute, maybe you walk on by (as we know, putting yourself into one of these situations can end up with two people that were at odds joining forces to turn their anger on you)....you see a 10 year old boy being forced into sexual slavery, you at least call 911 right then and there if not jump in and slam your foot a mile deep up the perverts runway
I've been debating giving an example but this post begs for it.   I once saw a man beating the snot out of woman at a bus stop.   It was probably 6-8 seconds before I got there, stopped and grabbed the man.   I had time to decide IF I wanted to be involved or just let nature take it's course.  Obviously I stopped but I'd be lying if part of my decision wasn't based on "Can I handle myself if he turns on me?"   I don't think I'm a coward but I do think the same thought process would go thru my head a quarter of a century later.   I think it's human nature to look out for #1 first.  Even if it's just a brief thought that runs thru your head.  Acting without thinking isn't commonplace.

The woman punched me in the ear and yelled "Let him go!" after I pulled him off of her. 

No good deed shall go unpunished.   
11/9/2011 2:09 PM
She probably figured she'd get an even worse beating after you made him mad.
11/9/2011 2:11 PM
No good deed goes unpunished....

That recalls Claire Booth Luce and my gradeschool arguments w/ my teachers. Catholic school of course..
11/9/2011 2:15 PM
I'd say a caught and surprised naked man sporting a boner fresh from the cub would make an easier target to subdue than a wife beater that is already in rage mode...
11/9/2011 2:33 PM
I'd say I had considerably less admiration and respect for the wife beater than McCreary had for Sandusky.
11/9/2011 2:42 PM
McQueary was what 24, just removed from his Division 1 playing career.  Sandusky was an old man who was naked.  Anyone that thinks McQueary feared for his own safety is nuts.  Fearing for his job sure, but his safety, give me a f-in break. 
11/9/2011 2:45 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/9/2011 2:09:00 PM (view original):
again...you see a domestic dispute, maybe you walk on by (as we know, putting yourself into one of these situations can end up with two people that were at odds joining forces to turn their anger on you)....you see a 10 year old boy being forced into sexual slavery, you at least call 911 right then and there if not jump in and slam your foot a mile deep up the perverts runway
I've been debating giving an example but this post begs for it.   I once saw a man beating the snot out of woman at a bus stop.   It was probably 6-8 seconds before I got there, stopped and grabbed the man.   I had time to decide IF I wanted to be involved or just let nature take it's course.  Obviously I stopped but I'd be lying if part of my decision wasn't based on "Can I handle myself if he turns on me?"   I don't think I'm a coward but I do think the same thought process would go thru my head a quarter of a century later.   I think it's human nature to look out for #1 first.  Even if it's just a brief thought that runs thru your head.  Acting without thinking isn't commonplace.

The woman punched me in the ear and yelled "Let him go!" after I pulled him off of her. 

No offense, but a wife-beater can't hold a candle to a child rapist.  Therefore, I would hope to God that more than 50% of the male population would have actually done something in this case.
11/9/2011 3:35 PM
Posted by moranis on 11/9/2011 2:45:00 PM (view original):
McQueary was what 24, just removed from his Division 1 playing career.  Sandusky was an old man who was naked.  Anyone that thinks McQueary feared for his own safety is nuts.  Fearing for his job sure, but his safety, give me a f-in break. 
Sandusky was 55, a football/fitness lifer and played DE in college. It's also been stated a demanding charismatic person.
My pop, a similar athletic background and charisma, at 55 could have whooped most of my brother's friends in their early 20's.

So it's not exactly like George Burns was standing there.... Either way, hop on that cell phone and call some people....
11/9/2011 3:41 PM
Posted by bhouska on 11/9/2011 3:35:00 PM (view original):

No offense, but a wife-beater can't hold a candle to a child rapist.  Therefore, I would hope to God that more than 50% of the male population would have actually done something in this case.
His scenario would also be far more dangerous to the onlooker then what happened here.  I mean you have no idea if the random wife beater has a weapon, is a skilled fighter, is crazy enough to kill you, you have know idea what the wife would do, etc.  You have a naked man more then twice your age in a government controlled access facility where the victim is a young naked boy (and thus also not a threat).  The risk of physical harm to yourself is almost non existent in that situation whereas it certainly is not with the random wife beating stranger.
11/9/2011 3:44 PM
Posted by bhouska on 11/9/2011 3:35:00 PM (view original):

No offense taken.  But you'd be wrong if you think half the male population would involve themselves in a confrontation of any sort not involving a family member.
11/9/2011 4:21 PM
Clearly we need to schedule an award ceremony for Mike. His medal is long overdue.
11/9/2011 4:58 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...20 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.