Perhaps the Board of Trustees should be more concerned with the school administrators who actively orchestrated the cover-up that allowed a sexual predator of minors to have unrestricted access to the campus campus facilities to commit his crimes, and spend less time worried about a power struggle against somebody who already announced his intention to step down.

Their actions reek of pandering to the national media, who have been almost universally assailing Paterno over the past couple of days.  His firing just seems like a knee-jerk reaction of "we have to do something RIGHT NOW" to present an illusion of "we're dealing with the situation".  But the fact that McQueary's status was not addressed last night seems to confirm that they have no clue on how they need to proceed.

Pedophilia, and particularly the heinous nature of Sandusky's cimes, is going to be a very sensitive subject.  I get it that even offering the slightest bit of support or "benefit of doubt" to anybody remotely aware of what happened here has the risk of being misinterpreted as an implied condoning of the action itself.  But it seems like there is far too much emotion in the discussions I've seen and heard, both on radio/TV, and on social media such as Facebook.  I think there's been a rush to judgement on exactly what Paterno was told and what he knew.

For all we know, after Paterno reported to AD Tim Curley what McQueary had told him, he may have been told (after some time) by Curley that "we looked into it, and the story is unfounded", i.e. the official cover-up story.  At which point Paterno moved on.  McQueary certainly doesn't seem to have further pushed the issue to anybody.

11/10/2011 10:21 AM
I don't think they're done by any means.   I get the feeling that ANYONE with ANY knowledge is going to find themselves seeking employment elsewhere.

It is entirely possible that Curley told Paterno "unfounded" and moved on.   Seems odd that McQueary would be on Paterno's staff after making unfounded accusations of pedophilia at one of his assistant coaches but, in some fantasy land, I guess you can buy that.   Paterno saying "I wish I had done more" doesn't help that case either. 
11/10/2011 10:28 AM
As I said earlier, Paterno should have stepped down, effective immediately, instead of announcing he'd quit at the end of the year.   EVERYONE knows that this would have been a media circus, with Paterno as lead monkey(and really not the guy you want answering off the cuff questions), for the rest of the season.   For the good of the university he professes to love, he should have walked away.
11/10/2011 10:30 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/10/2011 8:15:00 AM (view original):
They were waiting for 1 of 2 things.   Public opinion and Paterno to walk away on his own. 

As for McQuery, I don't see how he is on the sidelines Saturday.   However, I'd disagree that he wasn't shocked, regardless of how old he was, when he saw a man he respected and admired, sexually abusing a young boy.  Put yourself in his shoes.  Sandusky was a goddam linebacker coach at Linebacker U.  You'd think of him as a tough man who guzzles beer, eats the can and spits out nails.  There's no way anyone doesn't think "WTF am I seeing?  This isn't happening."   That doesn't excuse him for his inaction but split second reaction to something you'd never expect to see isn't a trait found in many people.   That's why athletes train and practice.  So they won't be surprised by anything they see.   Mike Tyson said "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."   Seeing that was a mental punch in the face.  You can't be ready for that.
I don't think the problem was that he didn't immediately kick the **** out of Sandusky, but rather that once he had time to gather his thoughts he just called his dad and told the coaches and left it at that.
11/10/2011 10:37 AM
I take Paterno's "I wish I had done more" statement more as a thinking-out-loud utterance rather than an admission of guilt.

I think we can all look back at situations in our lives in which something bad or unfortunate happened, and even though rationally we know that we took the best or most appropriate course of action based on what we knew at the time, in hindsight we may have some irrational "I should have done it differently" feeling.  That very well could have been the basis of Paterno's comment.  Keep in mind, he's an 84 year old, deeply religious man.  It's certainly understandable (to me) how he could make that comment without thinking of the implications of how it might be misinterpreted.
11/10/2011 10:39 AM
Covered several time previously when everyone was all "I'D HAVE BEAT THE **** OUT OF HIM IF I'D SEEN IT!!!!!!"
11/10/2011 10:40 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/10/2011 10:21:00 AM (view original):

Perhaps the Board of Trustees should be more concerned with the school administrators who actively orchestrated the cover-up that allowed a sexual predator of minors to have unrestricted access to the campus campus facilities to commit his crimes, and spend less time worried about a power struggle against somebody who already announced his intention to step down.

Their actions reek of pandering to the national media, who have been almost universally assailing Paterno over the past couple of days.  His firing just seems like a knee-jerk reaction of "we have to do something RIGHT NOW" to present an illusion of "we're dealing with the situation".  But the fact that McQueary's status was not addressed last night seems to confirm that they have no clue on how they need to proceed.

Pedophilia, and particularly the heinous nature of Sandusky's cimes, is going to be a very sensitive subject.  I get it that even offering the slightest bit of support or "benefit of doubt" to anybody remotely aware of what happened here has the risk of being misinterpreted as an implied condoning of the action itself.  But it seems like there is far too much emotion in the discussions I've seen and heard, both on radio/TV, and on social media such as Facebook.  I think there's been a rush to judgement on exactly what Paterno was told and what he knew.

For all we know, after Paterno reported to AD Tim Curley what McQueary had told him, he may have been told (after some time) by Curley that "we looked into it, and the story is unfounded", i.e. the official cover-up story.  At which point Paterno moved on.  McQueary certainly doesn't seem to have further pushed the issue to anybody.

Yes - that seems likely.  "We looked into it and didn't find anything.  In an entirely unrelated matter, Jerry doesn't have his keys anymore, can't have his camps here anymore, and can't bring kids around the facility."

I can get the argument for Joe, even though I do believe he has culpability.  But the notion that any point he was told "nothing happened" seems pretty out there.
11/10/2011 10:42 AM

I think Paterno's "wish I'd done more" as more of a half-*** apology than anything else.  In retrospect, I bet a lot of people are wishing they'd have done more.   But you have to ask is it because their balls are in a noose now or because they have felt bad about this for 10 years?   Let's not just give Paterno a pass because he's old.  I'd venture that he really didn't want this to affect his program or legacy back then and didn't want it to do the same now.  As I've mentioned before, if Sandusky was a trusted friend, he probably didn't want to believe such a thing.  Fully understandable.   But just doing what you're legally required to do doesn't seem like nearly enough.

11/10/2011 10:45 AM
Posted by AlCheez on 11/10/2011 10:42:00 AM (view original):

Yes - that seems likely.  "We looked into it and didn't find anything.  In an entirely unrelated matter, Jerry doesn't have his keys anymore, can't have his camps here anymore, and can't bring kids around the facility."

I can get the argument for Joe, even though I do believe he has culpability.  But the notion that any point he was told "nothing happened" seems pretty out there.
I think it was probably more along the lines of we looked into, there was some inappropriate contact, we took Sandusky's keys and barred him from being around kids on our campus, and we told the Second Mile.
11/10/2011 10:54 AM
FWIW, no one gets a pass from me.   This apparently wasn't a one-time incident.   It spanned years.   And Sandusky was still a fixture at Penn State long after the first accusations and after he retired.  A DA heard a confession and nothing happened.   None of the children's parents came forward, not even the one who was with the DA when Sandusky confessed, and made it public.   The entire thing reeks of wrongness, cover-ups and looking the other way. 

Lots of people at fault.   Being a highly-respected football coach who has done many great things doesn't get you a pass.
11/10/2011 10:57 AM
I feel like I can honestly say that nothing would stop me from taking action in McQueary's situation. Would I have confronted Sandusky? Probably not, but I would have called the cops immediately. If you're scared, do it anonymously - "There's a man raping a kid in the showers at Penn State. Send a cop now!"  Doesn't take much.

That being said (and by no means do I want to defend McQueary), the culture of smalltown USA and a school like Penn State has been mentioned. Maybe McQueary was a coward, maybe he watched too many movies, but is it possible that he almost viewed the school as a "mafia" with JoePa as the Godfather?  It may sound crazy to those of us on the outside, but perhaps he had extreme thoughts like "If I out this guy, maybe they kill me to avoid taking the school down".  As much as I don't want to defend the guy, we don't know what kind of irrational fears or thoughts were going through his head at the time.  Then maybe after a little while, when he's thinking more rationally again, he realizes "Damn, I'm inside this thing now. I better just keep my mouth shut and carry on."
11/10/2011 10:58 AM
That's hard not to believe after he was spot-on in April.
11/10/2011 11:16 AM
Posted by moranis on 11/10/2011 10:54:00 AM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 11/10/2011 10:42:00 AM (view original):

I think it was probably more along the lines of we looked into, there was some inappropriate contact, we took Sandusky's keys and barred him from being around kids on our campus, and we told the Second Mile.
How would anyone consider that a proper response to a child being molested?  At this point I'll even allow for the possibility that McQueary didn't say it was a rape at the time, because it doesn't matter once we get here.

It's that whole aspect of it that keeps me from holding Paterno blameless despite the fact that he fulfilled his legal obligation.  I'd be inclined to give him a pass if the upper administration completely swept it under the rug and made McQueary out to be a liar - he didn't see anything and he's got as much or more reason to believe the administration as he does McQueary.  But the university took actions that clearly indicated that they believed something had happened, actions that clearly fell short of the appropriate response to the alleged offense.  From that point on, I consider Paterno and anyone else aware of the accusation and the response to have some level of culpability for what happened afterwards, albeit more of a passive culpability. 
11/10/2011 11:20 AM (edited)
Posted by gomiami1972 on 11/10/2011 8:27:00 AM (view original):
very classy move by the PSU students to riot. 
F-ing idiots!
11/10/2011 11:19 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...20 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.