I completely agree that McQueary needs to go, but I highly doubt that giving him the axe would have stopped the riots.
11/10/2011 2:24 PM (edited)
yeah, pretty sure the logic was that he's iconic enough to overlook his enabling sexual abuse of children, which is retarded.
11/10/2011 2:43 PM
Even I'm not iconic enough to overlook enabling sexual abuse of children.
11/10/2011 7:34 PM
So I was wondering about the 1998 case that was never pursued by district attorney Ray Gricer.

Why would he not pursue this case?

The answer may never be known as, apparently, he disappeared from the face of the Earth in 2005.

The obvious conspiracy theories will arise. 

What a bizarre twist to this sickening story.
11/11/2011 8:49 AM
I've heard an unsubstantiated rumor that the Presidents of Northwestern, Iowa, and Indiana are essentially pushing for the conference to remove Penn State as a result of this controversy and that similar internal discussion have occurred at all of the other Universities in the conference.  The other Presidents and administrators are appalled and disgusted by the wide reaching, depth, and breadth of the conspiracy and cover-up in virtually all areas of the Penn State administration.

Also, I have heard (again an unsubstantiated rumor at this point) that there is at least one other faculty member being investigated for similar conduct, a former football player has come forward privately saying he witnessed abuse and was forced to transfer from the university, that the police were notified of some abuse and asked by the university to sweep it under the rug, that the FBI is investigating the local police for taking bribes, and that Sandusky has a ton of dirt on the University and may/will talk (for the right price - both criminally and financially was the impression I got). 

If any of this becomes more then unsubstantiated rumors, Penn State as a whole is in a hell of a lot of trouble.
11/11/2011 10:36 AM
I fear that only the tip of the iceberg has been revealed thus far.  When it's over, I doubt if any D1 athletes (or anyone else for that matter) will be looking at venturing into Happy Valley for four years.
11/11/2011 10:58 AM (edited)
Posted by all3 on 11/11/2011 10:46:00 AM (view original):
I fear that only the tip of the iceberg has been revealed thus far.  When it's over, I doubt if any D1 athletes (or anyone else for that matter) will be looking at veturing into Happy Valley for four years.
I too have my suspicions... quite simply, what if this gets worse?  It's quite possible that it is.

11/11/2011 10:53 AM
I think there are a lot of rumors floating around right now.   If you just stick with what we know, the powers that be slapped Sandusky on the wrist after several incidents, PSU still has a lot of problems.
11/11/2011 12:21 PM

Going with the "sticking with what we know" theme, I would encourage anyone who's commented so far or will comment on this issue to very carefully read the grand jury report.

Having done that, and without a "horse in race", so to speak, I'm inclined to agree w/ tec regarding the probable knee-jerk firing of Paterno.  The grand jury report does not say what the GA said to Paterno, or even what he said to his own father after he witnessed the incident.

The BoT may have more to go on than we do, and Paterno had to go after his own "I should have done more" comment.  For Paterno, the red flag to me is why was he not involved with the GA's inteview w/ McQueary later?  That reeks of the "I don't want to know or find out anymore than what I know now".  I have very little doubt that his pursuit of his legacy was a part of his thinking.

Most of what we say beyond the grand jury report is speculation, including saying what we would do if we were in a similar situation.  Context, as always, is king, and while it doesn't excuse the "ought" in what we do, it has a huge impact in how react to things.  We all read of families who support their children, even when they've comitted heinous acts.  They don't do it because they are cowards.  They do it because they are blinded by the emotions invested.  Rationality goes out the window to varying degrees when you're outside the confines of hindsight and forum chatter.  This scandal will ruin the lives of many.  Had McQueary done the right thing, his life and many others may have been ruined anyway.  Rational thought and action is understandably absent, though certainly not excused.  We all say what we would have done, but none of us are living within that environment, where the program is your life.  It's easy for us to say what each person should have done because we don't have the investment that those people did.

At the danger of sounding like an excuse maker, after reading the grand jury report a few days ago, it makes me sick.  My immediate thought is that this should be a "death penalty" dagger to their program.  An investigation to find out the extent of the cover-up(s) should be launched immediately.

And for the life of me, why is McQueary still employed?  He doesn't deserve the death threats he's getting, but c'mon.  He needs to be gone yesterday.  And the PSU students need to put the blame where it belongs:

1.  Sandusky (obviously)
2.  McQueary, Paterno, Curly and the other guy, the president (the entire group of them)

11/11/2011 12:49 PM
And why are they even playing a game tomorrow? Oh yeah, $$$$$$$$$$.  Penn State does not deserve a penny of the money they made on football over this last decade.  And they should have to forfeit tomorrow's game.
11/11/2011 1:02 PM
I assume there has to be "probable cause" when firing football coaches just like in the real world.  Otherwise, lawsuits follow, blah, blah, blah.    If we're ASSUMING McQueary went thru the proper channels, there may be no grounds for a firing(morality aside).   We are not talking about a "face of the university" with a contract like JoPa(who I am assuming will be paid in full), we're talking about a grad assistant, at the time, who became an assistant coach.   I'm not sure why he should be fired from a legal standpoint. 
11/11/2011 1:02 PM
That said, he obviously has a contract.  Eat it and let him go.   He certainly shouldn't show up on the sidelines for PSU again.   The distraction alone can't be good for the school or the program.
11/11/2011 1:09 PM
The rumor is that they want to keep McQueary in their hip pocket to avoid a possible lawsuit from him, as he followed proper procedures.
11/11/2011 2:04 PM
That's kind of what I'm thinking.  Defamation of character.     Especially if he's on record with "Sandusky was sodomizing a young male" and not some "horsing around" BS that's being tossed around. 
11/11/2011 2:10 PM
I don't think PSU is worried much about a lawsuit from McQueary but more about what he might say if he no longer has ties to the university.
11/11/2011 3:07 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...20 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.