Question for those who like math. Topic

Doesn't matter.    Spread out over a variety of seasons with a variety of pitchers and catchers in a variety of worlds makes it pretty difficult for the high PC catchers to get all the "good" chances while the low PC catchers only get the "bad" opportunities.

And results aren't biased.  
12/6/2011 6:02 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/6/2011 6:02:00 PM (view original):
Doesn't matter.    Spread out over a variety of seasons with a variety of pitchers and catchers in a variety of worlds makes it pretty difficult for the high PC catchers to get all the "good" chances while the low PC catchers only get the "bad" opportunities.

I just crunched some numbers and they said that you should partake in a bowl of dickeating.

Since we know that they're unbiased, I'm pretty certain that we can all agree that it's the correct course of action for you.
12/6/2011 6:05 PM
While your results aren't biased, your formula is flawed.   Try again. 
12/6/2011 6:09 PM
oops, you're right.

apparently there was a small rounding error, the correct course of action was for you to eat 10 bowls of dicks.

you better get started!
12/6/2011 6:11 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/6/2011 6:02:00 PM (view original):

In order to truly isolate the effect of PC, you need to disregard data where PC has no effect, otherwise you'll skew the results towards lower era numbers and give PC too much value. I'm willing to bet that about 1/3 of all innings pitched are by pitchers with pitches above 80, think about bullpens. Of course I could be wrong about that estimate.
12/6/2011 6:18 PM
I guess I'll try to explain it again.  I wasn't looking to put an exact number on it(you may have saw where I said I could be off by 0.012 per 1 point of PC).  I was looking for a pattern.  The pattern presented itself and it appeared to be about 0.012 per 1 point of PC.    It was checked over 20+ seasons with various catchers with various pitchers on various teams.    The pattern is there. 
12/6/2011 6:35 PM
PC is essentially ballpark factor modifier.  70 is neutral.  100 takes the 1B factor down a full point, 40 takes the 1B factor up a full point.
12/6/2011 6:40 PM
Where did you see that? This is the first I've heard that. I have seen admin post that it modifies the pitchers pitches.
12/6/2011 6:57 PM

I have never seen admin state that it modifies pitches.  I got my information from the fact that I made it up, because everyone else seems to be making **** up in this thread as well.

12/6/2011 7:03 PM
I didn't make anything up.  The numbers are what the numbers are.
12/6/2011 7:59 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/6/2011 7:59:00 PM (view original):
I didn't make anything up.  The numbers are what the numbers are.
obsolete and worthless to begin with

thanks for your expert contribution!
12/6/2011 8:11 PM
I assume, from your bitter response, that you checked the teams I mentioned and found them to be 100% accurate.

Or your bowl of dicks got cold before you finished them.
12/6/2011 8:16 PM
So I ran the numbers for my starting pitching staff in GAP to check up on Al's theory.

The correlation coefficient between standard deviation of pitch ratings and points of averaged saved by the higher PC catcher is -0.54 lulz

that's how you have fun with small samples.
12/6/2011 8:26 PM
of course, my methodology, which is infinitely more precise than miket or death's, still is seeing wild swings in the value of PC every time i analyze a new pitcher.

you really do need a huge sample for this to work.  i'll save this one in google docs and supplement it on a rainy day
12/6/2011 8:28 PM
Checking one team in a partial season is a little less of a sample size than 20+ seasons spread out over 4 worlds.

Just sayin'.
12/6/2011 8:34 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9 Next ▸
Question for those who like math. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.