Biggest Pitcher Bargains Topic

Bump
7/4/2014 3:01 PM
Posted by seels on 12/8/2011 10:59:00 PM (view original):

Nice list, but I'm not sure going purely by dollars is the best way to do it.  For example I bet there are $400K pitchers worth twice as much as they cost.

This statement is somewhat true, What Zubinson said is true if you use pitchers in a generic way without scouting in a mindless rotation. Pitchers such as 475k Kirby White (.188 .OAV) which is better than Joss. Have more value per inning. For example on opening day of a season in a non-homerun park against a team that hits minimal homeruns, I'll use White and promptly waive him. His quality start only cost 47 and one half THOUSAND DOLLARS (the cost of waiving him and picking up someone of similar value). 50 starts like this only cost 2.4 mil dollars(Joss's cost is a whopping 12.7mil). Whereas Joss used in a conventional sense would cost you approx. 250 THOUSAND DOLLARS per start. (12.7mil/50starts). The use of the waiver wire presents many mathematical anomalies.This is why Innings pitched minimums are definitely nessesary, in leagues without them it is easy to take this effect to its extreme as you can with the waiver wire spend as little as 25 million on pitching with quality starts just as these in an 80 mil cap league.
7/8/2014 10:43 AM (edited)
Posted by crimsonblue on 7/8/2014 10:43:00 AM (view original):
Posted by seels on 12/8/2011 10:59:00 PM (view original):

Nice list, but I'm not sure going purely by dollars is the best way to do it.  For example I bet there are $400K pitchers worth twice as much as they cost.

This statement is somewhat true, What Zubinson said is true if you use pitchers in a generic way without scouting in a mindless rotation. Pitchers such as 475k Kirby White (.188 .OAV) which is better than Joss. Have more value per inning. For example on opening day of a season in a non-homerun park against a team that hits minimal homeruns, I'll use White and promptly waive him. His quality start only cost 47 and one half THOUSAND DOLLARS (the cost of waiving him and picking up someone of similar value). 50 starts like this only cost 2.4 mil dollars(Joss's cost is a whopping 12.7mil). Whereas Joss used in a conventional sense would cost you approx. 250 THOUSAND DOLLARS per start. (12.7mil/50starts). The use of the waiver wire presents many mathematical anomalies.This is why Innings pitched minimums are definitely nessesary, in leagues without them it is easy to take this effect to its extreme as you can with the waiver wire spend as little as 25 million on pitching with quality starts just as these in an 80 mil cap league.
The problem with this strategy is that you will get screwed once the transaction deadline hits and likely be eliminated in short order in the postseason.
7/8/2014 2:07 PM
I've never had a problem, Check out my Backman Turner Overdrive team uncleal which I've used this strategy to hopefully gain a favorable TOC slot by sheding salary, Your assuming I'm talking about leagues with transaction deadlines like OL's. That's why I included the statement that innings pitched minimums are nessesary, which are present in OL's.
7/8/2014 3:01 PM
Holy Cow ! crimsonblue, you used, by my count 31 pitchers for exactly one start each on that team, and three others for two starts apiece, plus Milacki for three starts. 

You also seem to be employing a Starter 3A and 3B strategy with two guys most of us usually only use as Setup men or occasional postseason starters. 

I am in awe. You may be my new WIS guru, though I am unworthy. 
7/8/2014 6:05 PM
Thanks for your kind words Prof, there are other owners such as Lazerhawks and Mixtroy and others in their own way that employ this so it's not a revelation to everyone and those two win a lot of games. The waiver wire gets labeled as being wasteful, but there are numerous strategies that actually glean assets as well under certain league parameters.
7/8/2014 6:39 PM
Posted by crimsonblue on 7/8/2014 3:01:00 PM (view original):
I've never had a problem, Check out my Backman Turner Overdrive team uncleal which I've used this strategy to hopefully gain a favorable TOC slot by sheding salary, Your assuming I'm talking about leagues with transaction deadlines like OL's. That's why I included the statement that innings pitched minimums are nessesary, which are present in OL's.
Even leagues that have "no transaction deadline" in practice do have one at the last day of the season, so you still will run out of starts come the playoffs...
7/9/2014 3:02 PM
I disagree, for example, the team i just mentioned, is now in the LCS, and is the most rested even though i've shed 11million dollars via the wire. The biggest mistake people make is that they don't shorten their rotation in the playoffs, i know that's the reason why my playoff winning% up until recently has run higher than my regular season win%. Surely the competition isn't worse in the playoffs. Even if you have to sacrifice some games and start marginal pitching down the stretch to come into the playoffs rested its well worth it. You can get by with one less guy in your rotation in the playoffs. I seldom draft relief pitchers, so i'm usually working with 11 or more posible starting pitchers in the playoffs so there are plenty of starts.
7/9/2014 6:45 PM
◂ Prev 12
Biggest Pitcher Bargains Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.