Building better teams: Habits & Thought Processes Topic

Posted by savoybg on 7/29/2022 9:25:00 PM (view original):
In that league where I am in the conf semis, one hall of famer owner claimed that my third round pick of 72 Archie Clark was a "terrible pick." He made the all star team and had a 32 MVP score, good for about 27th on the MVP list. I took him with the 64th pick.
I had to read this more than once to make sure I read it right. You are bragging because your guy finished “about 27th” in the MVP voting? What if he actually finished about 28th? Would you be just as keen on him? Of course, we don’t know for sure that he finished about 27th, since they only list the top 25. Maybe, just maybe, he was in a 14 way tie for 32nd in the MVP voting.
7/30/2022 12:35 AM
Posted by savoybg on 7/29/2022 4:50:00 PM (view original):
So you define "a dice roll" as a shot attempt or going to the line?

It's also a "dice roll" when you turn the ball over.

A steal has nothing to do with an extra anything for your team. It's totally a defensive occurrence that ends the opponent's possession or "dice roll" in the best possible way for your team. It is NOT part of gaining possessions.
Yeah, see, this is why I said at first I wouldn't engage with you and you were just a troll. I've seen your act before over & over again. As for the last correspondence quoted post & my final correspondence with you in this thread: You are gaining a competitive advantage when your opponent's possession ends without a shot. You do this ten times in a game, and that's ten times he didn't get a shot as a result. If they do it twelve times back to you, then that's twelve times you didn't get up a shot and are now behind by a potential 2 die rolls of the most important die roll there is: taking a shot. You want more shot attempts than your opponent (actually, you want more shot makes than your opponent, but it's easier to do that if you have more shot attempts as well).

I will no longer engage with you because you are the definition of an attention-seeking troll & are spamming a guide thread with non-sense. Redlining all of your posts from this point out as well as all of this irrelevant, off topic nonsense you've spewed.
7/30/2022 5:51 AM (edited)
but oh my dear god what a post:

I have WON SOMETHING. a division title. I don't put all that much stock into the playoffs in sim leagues. They are basically a crap shoot. We had 3 upsets in 4 series in the first round in that league, including a 41-41 team sweeping a much better team, and a really good team with number one pick in the draft 1972 Kareem getting shockingly swept by the 6 seed.

7/30/2022 5:52 AM (edited)
This post has been reported and is pending review by site staff.
Posted by savoybg on 7/30/2022 9:41:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Midge on 7/30/2022 12:35:00 AM (view original):
Posted by savoybg on 7/29/2022 9:25:00 PM (view original):
In that league where I am in the conf semis, one hall of famer owner claimed that my third round pick of 72 Archie Clark was a "terrible pick." He made the all star team and had a 32 MVP score, good for about 27th on the MVP list. I took him with the 64th pick.
I had to read this more than once to make sure I read it right. You are bragging because your guy finished “about 27th” in the MVP voting? What if he actually finished about 28th? Would you be just as keen on him? Of course, we don’t know for sure that he finished about 27th, since they only list the top 25. Maybe, just maybe, he was in a 14 way tie for 32nd in the MVP voting.
How long have you ben playing this game? When you look at the league leaders in a different category than MVP score you can still see each player's MVP score. The guys in the top 25 all had 33 or more points and Clark had 32 points, so he was actually tied for 26th although I'm sure that number was rounded off. SO he was tied with 3 other guys, so he finished somewhere between 26th and 29th. Pretty good for the 64th pick in the draft which was called "a terrible pick" by one of the other owners.
Longer than you. I was just taken aback that someone would brag about having their player finish 27th in the MVP race. I regularly play in the ODL, the 52 Draft, and Savage, and I have never seen Archie Clark drafted. I don’t know what your draft was. Was it a Baltimore Bullets only league? Maybe it was a great pick. Maybe he should have gone late second instead of mid third. Without knowing context I can’t say if it was a terrible pick or not. By the way, just because someone is a Hall of Famer, it doesn’t mean that they are good, it just means they have spent some money buying teams.

I do hope you’re having fun playing in leagues here and continue playing. Keep on posting.
7/30/2022 2:54 PM
serious address - if you have an actual MVP candidate there is a decent chance your team is not very balanced or good - 1 guy doing too many things (unless it is Wilt) is possibly a bad sign
7/30/2022 3:17 PM
Man oh man... the SLBk forum has been popping off. Wtf?

Anyway, semantic arguments really benefit no one. If you can understand the general principals in this thread, that is all that really matters.
7/31/2022 12:33 PM
This was an interesting backread - anyone have screenshots?
7/31/2022 4:13 PM
The "guy who started this thread" has helped numerous owners, myself included, with this material. If you actually read it you might stop with the incessant, embarrassing claims that show you haven't a clue of how this sim actually works. I mean FFS, in pushing for more injuries and randomness, you compared yourself to the first abolitionists and Marvin Gaye. And you think Ash is childish?

Keep this up and you will alienate yourself from everyone in this small community. In record time I might add.

I back Ash's actions 100%
7/31/2022 7:37 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11 Next ▸
Building better teams: Habits & Thought Processes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.