Building better teams: Habits & Thought Processes Topic

ok but what if your starting 5 averages efg 55% has a creb of 45/95 = 140  combined asg 0f 70% with usage of 32 19 18 26 10 and meets a team with a starting 5 efg% of 50 and a creb of 35/85 =120 with usage of 25 25 20 18 18 and blah blah blah

and yet your team shoots 44% from the field while your opponent shoots 48% from the field - you turn the ball over 21 times (on half court settings) to his 14 (without him pressing), you commit 27 pfs despite the fact that none of his main usage guys have more than 5 ft48m (and you aint pressing)

and whatever else

challenge me, I can post the actual nonsense - you know what Im saying... what about that?
1/19/2012 9:10 PM
A clearly superior team will almost always win a 7 game series, but can obviously lose an individual game.  Ashamael, this post is excellent.
1/19/2012 9:56 PM
ash as usual good info. would you go over calculating TO%. and wouldn't def. stops both team and individual be an important factor.  Who keeps
that stat and I don't think the sim engine uses it.  It would skew RL players defensively as you've pointed out Shot Blockers always have very high
ratings which is not always the case.  Bill Russell doesn't get enough credit and I'm sure Wilt would crush Manute like a bug (way too skinny).  thanks
again Fox should hire you as a game consultant.     
1/19/2012 10:23 PM
would this formula be good for individual as well as team totals?  would the aggregate avg. of team be similiar to the off usage % which uses the tier/pts.
ex.  80 - 100 team D aggregate = 8 pts.
       60 - 80  "    "    "     "     "      =  6
etc. etc.
thnx,
seap
1/21/2012 1:53 PM
Thank you for all the great information you offered in your post.  I am appreciative and have a question.  You mentioned that Rodman had a RL usage % of 10.7 (which is indicated under each players profile) but Rodman had an actual of 13.1% in the league action.  How did you calculate this 13.1%?  Thanks in advance for your reply.
1/25/2012 11:14 AM
I bet you do well in the stock market.
1/25/2012 5:14 PM

I tried calculating my players actual usage % using the formula posted in FAQ and in this post (FGA + FTA x .44 + TO/Min played.  Each player came out with high numbers such as 43, 47, 85.   I am assuming that the .44 is taken times the FTA and not FTA plus FGA.  What am I doing wrong? 

1/26/2012 3:42 PM
There's some interesting info in this thread, so let me start by thanking the vets for getting us all up to speed.  I have some questions related to rebounding.  The Knowledge Base indicates:

Every missed field goal attempt in a normal possession is rebounded. Rebounding looks at the real-life offensive and defensive rebounding percentages of all ten players on the court, though the shooter and his defender generally have less of a chance, especially in the case of a three-point attempt. We look at each one-on-one matchup for this situation (shooting team is still considered offense) to determine if one player has a better than average advantage over his opponent. These players will get a boost to their percentages, while their opponents will see their percentages drop. We then look at all ten modified percentages. The chance that an individual player has of getting the rebound is relative to how his percentage compares. If the ball is rebounded by an offensive player, there is a chance for a put-back. Assuming no put-back, the possession restarts. If the ball is rebounded by a defensive player that team begins its possession on offense. 

What I am trying to understand is how the sim determines who goes up against who?  Is it what position that player plays, or the position that player defends?

Example:

I have LBJ (PG) and Damon Jones (SG) in my backcourt.  My opponent has Nate McMillen (PG) and MJ (SG).  My opponent has the ball and his PF takes a shot and misses.  Since LBJ would obviously be defending MJ rather than McMillen I assume that when the SIM is doing its calculation it would show Damon Jones (SG) guarding Nate (PG) and LBJ (PG) guarding MJ (SG).  Am I correct in my assumption, or does it not take into account who is defending who and just calculates based on the position they are playing? 
2/2/2012 5:00 PM
Thanks for clarifying, Ash.  If rebounding matchups are based on who is defending who, then you don't necessarily need to start LBJ at PG to take advantage of his rebounding %'s, but you would need him to defend the PG, in most cases of course.
2/3/2012 11:13 AM
Actually you would want him there on offense because then you can put better rebounders at the other positions (not to mention having an outstanding efficient scoring/passing machine at PG).
2/3/2012 11:35 AM
Good point, sly.  I guess to fully take advantage you would want LBJ playing PG, assuming you have good rebounders at SG and SF.
2/3/2012 12:27 PM
there are a few occasions where it's okay to put LBJ at SG ... but rarely (if ever) at SF.
2/3/2012 1:37 PM
08-09 Kidd at PG and 09-10 LBJ at SG...
2/3/2012 2:25 PM
I like 09-10 Kidd better, but yeah... Kidd is pretty much the exception.
2/3/2012 4:17 PM
The only reason I use 09-10 is because he is in the bottom usg% tier with similar stats as 09-10 for less money.
2/3/2012 4:50 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...11 Next ▸
Building better teams: Habits & Thought Processes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.