trading draft picks Topic

Posted by shobob on 1/18/2012 7:05:00 AM (view original):
I would always veto a deal involving draft picks.  As a commish, I'd like to thank ovechkin for drawing my attention to three owners that I'll never let in.
OH NO! didnt you sign up for Thome knowing WIS would disband the league after 5 years if they didnt have enough original owners, and then LEAVE after 3 days? get off your high horse you dumbass
1/18/2012 7:21 AM (edited)
You're trying to link things together that can't be linked. It didn't "start" with anything. I call out virtually every one of nordiques trades, because almost all of them are shady. If you were the one trying to trade players who don't exist yet, I'd question you as well.

What's interesting to me is how vivid your memory is of a WS that you didn't play in. Although you are incorrect, nordique never offered a "good series" comment to me. He doesn't like me because I call out his BS trades, and I'm fine with that. I'm also curious as to why you're defending this guy so loudly.
1/18/2012 7:31 AM
im defending this league, because you are obviously trying to call it out. I want my league to fill next year, no thanks to you.

You offer no information on the actual trade, or the draft picks involved.

and what the hell do i have to do with a trade between NY and KC?

1/18/2012 7:51 AM (edited)

'Tard world.  Get out and don't look back.

1/18/2012 7:59 AM
Posted by nauds3000 on 1/18/2012 4:46:00 AM (view original):
Ok, lets just start this off by stating the obvious.

1) Ovechkin was whooped by Kansas City in last years world series.

2) Don't you find it odd that the only person in WC complaining about the trade is Ovechkin?

3) This all started when Kansas City tried to trade Wiki Santanya for Blake Bryant. Where Ovechkin stated that Wiki Santanya was too valueable to trade for Bryant and got the league to veto the trade.

4) The trade in question involved, Mel Colbrunn for Wiki Santanya, Timothy Workman and Omar Mota. It also includes Kansas City's #35, #50, #51, #54 and #80 draft picks in this years draft.

4) Do you see anything in the fair play guidelines saying you cant trade draft picks? In fact this happens in almost every single major sport.

5) Kansas City has honored previous trades in the past which involved draft picks, including a trade with myself.

Bottom line is, Ovechkin is a sore loser. After last year's world series Kansas City congratulated him on the world series and instead of returning the compliment. Ovechkin went on to say how "Sad" his team was in the locker room.

Good riddance Ovechkin, go find another league to stink up
1) None of that is remotely persuasive. Future draft picks are not part of a trade. They represent a future trade.

2) The fact that you think it's persuasive makes me think you're either his friend in real life or an alias.

3) We are all dumber for having read that.

4) No one said trading future picks was explicitly against Fair Play guidelines. Neither is trade rape. That what the veto is for.

5) Enjoy your tardy world.
1/18/2012 8:06 AM
I figured there was no way this would happen but, since it has, here's the problem:

nordique has 0 HS and 0 College scouting.   Therefore, what he sees is minimal.   So how will the other owner get value?  I guess he could say "Rank these guys in this order."    Know what that is?  Collusion.   You can't share scouting info.   So, if you don't want to collude, he's just getting random players.  How in the hell can anyone determine if that's fair and approve?
1/18/2012 8:25 AM
we won't know until the actual draft takes place, I know both of these owners and can say with certainty neither of them would collude
1/18/2012 8:29 AM
So maybe the trade waits until the actual draft takes place?

Seriously, how will nordique rank players?   Will the other owner give him a list or not?

That trade will either be collusive or very stupid.   For one owner and the entire world for allowing it to happen.
1/18/2012 8:33 AM
4) Do you see anything in the fair play guidelines saying you cant trade draft picks? In fact this happens in almost every single major sport.

The funniest thing about this post is that the 1 sport that does not allow it is baseball. If you are going to try to equate this to real life you could not do a much worse job than that.
1/18/2012 8:35 AM
the trades already been approved, there is no waiting until the actual draft takes place. Nordique got Santanya with 0/0 scouting last year. So I guess NY has to pray. What makes anyone think that Colbrunn is any good in the first place? Looks like a slightly above average 3B to me
1/18/2012 8:36 AM
FWIW, I'm not sure I'm on board with my statement of "So maybe the trade waits until the actual draft takes place?"

I'm just saying, if they absolutely, positively have to trade picks like they did, that's a far better option.   It still reeks of a collusive enviroment but, at the very least, the other 30 owners would know who's getting traded.
1/18/2012 8:37 AM
Posted by nauds3000 on 1/18/2012 8:36:00 AM (view original):
the trades already been approved, there is no waiting until the actual draft takes place. Nordique got Santanya with 0/0 scouting last year. So I guess NY has to pray. What makes anyone think that Colbrunn is any good in the first place? Looks like a slightly above average 3B to me
It could have waited.

I didn't even bother to look at the players.   That's not the issue.  The issue is trading players that no one has seen.   Players that will be drafted by an owner with 0/0 scouting.

As far as Santanya, maybe he got lucky.  Maybe someone told him to rank him.    Maybe this trade has been in the works for a couple of seasons.   
1/18/2012 8:39 AM
obviously the better situation is to wait until the draft actually takes place before seeing if it's a fair deal. Yet in many sports future draft picks are traded ALL the time. I don't see HBD as any different
1/18/2012 8:40 AM
You should look at the players, this trade is nothing special. And I had 20/20 scouting when Colbrunn and Santanya were drafted
1/18/2012 8:42 AM
HBD is modeled after MLB.   As was previously noted, MLB doesn't allow for the trading of draft picks. 

It's a bad deal in a world that doesn't care enough to stop it.
1/18/2012 8:42 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...32 Next ▸
trading draft picks Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.