trading draft picks Topic

Well, to be fair, ovech could be a troublemaking loser.   I looked at the league's owners and I don't know jack about any of them(which seems pretty damn impossible to me). 

But, on the flip side, this particular situation stinks all to hell.   So, regardless of previous exchanges between the parties involved, ovech is on the right side of the road for this.
1/18/2012 11:21 AM
ovechkin, I saw where you said about not going to CS because it's not specifically banned.  I wouldn't let that stop you.  The fair play guidelines aren't an exhaustive list of everything you can't do, just examples.  As has already been stated, HBD is not MLB, but they did implement the MLB rules about not trading picks and not being able to deal drafted players for a year (well, in HBD not quite a year, but you can't deal them in the season you draft them) so I can't imagine they'd be okay with this.  They probably wouldn't intervene here, but it might result in further clarification to the fair play guideline examples going forward.
1/18/2012 11:21 AM
+1 to what AlCheez said
1/18/2012 11:25 AM
Al, I actually submitted a ticket this morning.  I don't think they'll do anything, but I hope to at least put this on their radar.  Promising draft picks in future trades isn't really something they can enforce, I think it would have to be up to the league to veto any future deal that isn't quite even.  But you're right, it might lead to them clarifying some of their guidelines. 

Mike, I'm no more of a troublemaker than you are.  Which doesn't necessarily mean that I'm not a troublemaker. 
1/18/2012 11:32 AM
Just saying that we don't know what's transpired in that world before this thread started.    The guy screaming and calling names might not be the "bad" guy.

Yet, again, you're 100% right on this one.
1/18/2012 11:50 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/18/2012 11:50:00 AM (view original):
Just saying that we don't know what's transpired in that world before this thread started.    The guy screaming and calling names might not be the "bad" guy.

Yet, again, you're 100% right on this one.
Might not be the only bad guy, perhaps.  But I do think the personal attacks, insults, juvenile behavior, pointless gloating after the trade went through, etc certainly makes, by online baseball game standards*, nordique a bad guy.

*He may feed the homeless in his spare time and be a great guy in real life.  Who knows.
1/18/2012 11:55 AM
Very true, you can't see trades that have been vetoed in the past, or TC's, or WC from previous seasons, so it's impossible for you guys to know if this is typical behavior for nordique.  Fair enough. 
1/18/2012 12:01 PM
Posted by ovechkin008 on 1/18/2012 11:32:00 AM (view original):
Al, I actually submitted a ticket this morning.  I don't think they'll do anything, but I hope to at least put this on their radar.  Promising draft picks in future trades isn't really something they can enforce, I think it would have to be up to the league to veto any future deal that isn't quite even.  But you're right, it might lead to them clarifying some of their guidelines. 

Mike, I'm no more of a troublemaker than you are.  Which doesn't necessarily mean that I'm not a troublemaker. 

Well, the reality is WIS can't/doesn't proactively monitor for virtually anything in the fairplay guidelines - it has to be reported.  So, if you and anyone else who doesn't like this leaves the world, and the people who come in are okay with it, it will probably continue unimpeded, even if the guidelines get clarified.  But then the next person in your shoes will have something to point to.  It's not like this is something that can be done in secret.

I just don't see any way WIS is going to be okay with this, there's so many reasons why it's a bad idea.  And it can "work out" a bunch of times, it only takes it going bad once to really screw things up.  And if a world is going to be okay with it, they have to be okay with it period.  So yeah, maybe this time the guy dealing the picks is a long term owner who people feel they can trust to make good on it.  Can the guy in his first year in the league trade his picks?   If yes, you're setting yourself up for disaster.  If no, you're tilting the playing field.

1/18/2012 12:04 PM (edited)
gjello, I don't always think that that is true, but I think I agree in this situation.
1/18/2012 12:02 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 1/18/2012 12:04:00 PM (view original):

Well, the reality is WIS can't/doesn't proactively monitor for virtually anything in the fairplay guidelines - it has to be reported.  So, if you and anyone else who doesn't like this leaves the world, and the people who come in are okay with it, it will probably continue unimpeded, even if the guidelines get clarified.  But then the next person in your shoes will have something to point to.  It's not like this is something that can be done in secret.

I just don't see any way WIS is going to be okay with this, there's so many reasons why it's a bad idea.  And it can "work out" a bunch of times, it only takes it going bad once to really screw things up.  And if a world is going to be okay with it, they have to be okay with it period.  So yeah, maybe this time the guy dealing the picks is a long term owner who people feel they can trust to make good on it.  Can the guy in his first year in the league trade his picks?   If yes, you're setting yourself up for disaster.  If no, you're tilting the playing field.

It was actually done in secret before this.  Or it at least was not announced to the masses.  I looked through the trade history, and you could see where nordique had made trades with owners one season, and then shipped off players who had been drafted that season during the following season.  The question is whether the situation has come up where he makes a trade with an owner, promising draft picks the next season, and then that owner doesn't renew.  If it's not announced in the WC, then nobody knows this was part of the deal.  It's impossible to know if that has happened before, but it's certainly plausible. 
1/18/2012 12:14 PM
I find it somewhat amusing (though perhaps just a mear coincidence) that nauds was debating on this thread every other minute.  Then he gets called out as a potential alias to nordorque and we have yet to hear another word.  Just another thing that makes me go Hmmm...
1/18/2012 12:18 PM
Posted by ovechkin008 on 1/18/2012 12:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 1/18/2012 12:04:00 PM (view original):

It was actually done in secret before this.  Or it at least was not announced to the masses.  I looked through the trade history, and you could see where nordique had made trades with owners one season, and then shipped off players who had been drafted that season during the following season.  The question is whether the situation has come up where he makes a trade with an owner, promising draft picks the next season, and then that owner doesn't renew.  If it's not announced in the WC, then nobody knows this was part of the deal.  It's impossible to know if that has happened before, but it's certainly plausible. 
If it was done in secret and both ends of the deal got through without issue, I'd say there are deeper issues in the world.
1/18/2012 12:21 PM
I'd be hesitant about staying in that world. Sounds like too much under the table dealing. This isn't Survivor, so those kinds of "alliances" ruin this game, they don't make it.
1/18/2012 12:28 PM
TARD WORLD!!!!!!!!  SOUND THE RED ALERT!!!!!!
1/18/2012 12:36 PM
I've left two worlds because I didn't like the way some of the other owners chose to play the game, and the way some of the other owners seemed to not only condone but encourage their actions.  And what happened in those worlds was much less egregious than what's going on here.
1/18/2012 12:37 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...32 Next ▸
trading draft picks Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.