Posted by potter444 on 4/10/2012 4:34:00 PM (view original):

Went to a restaurant that my friends and I have been going to for years.  I have a lot of good memories there but the place has been on a long downward slide.  

Felt like the customers ran the place because it was a lively group and it has an absentee owner.  The food was pretty good and the atmosphere was a lot of fun.  The cook, however, was never the type to glad-hand with the clientele and he never seemed too interested in being there anyway.  He eventually changed the menu pretty drastically and then left shortly thereafter.  Not sure if he quit or was fired.  My friends and I joke that maybe he intentionally made a bad menu just to stick it to his boss on his way out the door.

Anyway, we still hang out there.  Not really sure why.  My family and friends have gotten me way too many gift certifcates at this place and a man's got to eat I suppose.  Don't know how much longer I'll be hanging around after I burn thru those.  Pretty quiet usually and, frankly, it's like a ghost town on most days.  The place is cavernous now (about 10,000 square feet) as they were perpetually expanding the place when times were good.   Times changed though and there are now a couple vacant places on both sides. 

We were talking the other day that if the restaurant took over both spaces and blew out the walls, my ten friends and I could each have our on window seat.  Jim, my high school buddy whose is usually pretty quiet, took a sip of coffee and said, "Really?  The only reason I come here is to hang out with you clowns.  What fun is it to sit by yourself...especially eating this slop."  Jim went back to eating---or really, poking at, his breakfast.  My friends looked at each other and sat in silence.  I looked around and realized the place was empty---and really quiet.

I was killing some time before we left and I looked outside the window.  People were passing by.  Running, walking their dogs, pushing toddlers in strollers.  A whole world outside.  My friends and I sat some more in silence.  We paid the bill and left. 

Good story bro.
4/10/2012 4:36 PM
Whent back to my home town. Every thing is like that there. Freinds have all gone too. Only memeries are left. Sad. The high school still puts out one of the best football teams in Ohio though.
4/10/2012 4:42 PM
"The alternate history of GD"  by Potter...Nice Read....
4/10/2012 5:40 PM
2 cents from a newbie (with HBD exp.) wanting to get started.  I agree with the concept of putting something in place that allows for the generation of a new league on a semi-regular basis. As someone who really wants to get into this for the long run it is daunting to jon such long standing worlds. I also understand the dilema of having partially full leagues. Seeing both sides of the coin I think something that allows the top X percentile of retired coaches get their pick based on previous performance and then open things up for the rest. I am sure this woudl not only encourage new coaches but also build a little excitement and motivate the long standing members to clsoe out the previosu league strong to jackey for position and have new cahllenges.
4/18/2012 11:31 AM
Posted by hamhr on 4/18/2012 11:31:00 AM (view original):
2 cents from a newbie (with HBD exp.) wanting to get started.  I agree with the concept of putting something in place that allows for the generation of a new league on a semi-regular basis. As someone who really wants to get into this for the long run it is daunting to jon such long standing worlds. I also understand the dilema of having partially full leagues. Seeing both sides of the coin I think something that allows the top X percentile of retired coaches get their pick based on previous performance and then open things up for the rest. I am sure this woudl not only encourage new coaches but also build a little excitement and motivate the long standing members to clsoe out the previosu league strong to jackey for position and have new cahllenges.
Do you work in Human Resources at Farmers Johns?
4/18/2012 11:55 AM
Posted by potter444 on 4/10/2012 4:34:00 PM (view original):

Went to a restaurant that my friends and I have been going to for years.  I have a lot of good memories there but the place has been on a long downward slide.  

Felt like the customers ran the place because it was a lively group and it has an absentee owner.  The food was pretty good and the atmosphere was a lot of fun.  The cook, however, was never the type to glad-hand with the clientele and he never seemed too interested in being there anyway.  He eventually changed the menu pretty drastically and then left shortly thereafter.  Not sure if he quit or was fired.  My friends and I joke that maybe he intentionally made a bad menu just to stick it to his boss on his way out the door.

Anyway, we still hang out there.  Not really sure why.  My family and friends have gotten me way too many gift certifcates at this place and a man's got to eat I suppose.  Don't know how much longer I'll be hanging around after I burn thru those.  Pretty quiet usually and, frankly, it's like a ghost town on most days.  The place is cavernous now (about 10,000 square feet) as they were perpetually expanding the place when times were good.   Times changed though and there are now a couple vacant places on both sides. 

We were talking the other day that if the restaurant took over both spaces and blew out the walls, my ten friends and I could each have our on window seat.  Jim, my high school buddy whose is usually pretty quiet, took a sip of coffee and said, "Really?  The only reason I come here is to hang out with you clowns.  What fun is it to sit by yourself...especially eating this slop."  Jim went back to eating---or really, poking at, his breakfast.  My friends looked at each other and sat in silence.  I looked around and realized the place was empty---and really quiet.

I was killing some time before we left and I looked outside the window.  People were passing by.  Running, walking their dogs, pushing toddlers in strollers.  A whole world outside.  My friends and I sat some more in silence.  We paid the bill and left. 

What do you do, Potter?  You seem extremely bright.  I'm being serious.

4/18/2012 12:33 PM
You keep sending me stuff, WIS.  I would love to come back.  But I'm not joining worlds with decades of action already gone by.  Close down a world each cycle when it hits 100 years.  Start a new one at the same time.  Keep them going 1, 10, 20, 30, etc.  Ain't tricky but keeps things from getting uber-dusty.  I'd rather be part of something new than a world with 90 year coaches.  Thanks anyway.
11/24/2012 9:14 PM
Why the eff does it matter anyway?
11/24/2012 9:17 PM
Yeah open a  NEW World I agree I would just pay an extra $10 a month to them I don't think it would be that damn hard to do.
11/25/2012 3:31 PM
Come on everyone, if a new world is created, it should be JCONTE!!!!!
11/25/2012 3:37 PM
+1 lol
11/25/2012 5:31 PM
Everyone who wants a new world to open add a +1 to this post see how much support or how popular the idea would be.
11/25/2012 5:32 PM
Posted by jfootball88 on 11/25/2012 5:32:00 PM (view original):
Everyone who wants a new world to open add a +1 to this post see how much support or how popular the idea would be.
+ 4.31
11/25/2012 5:33 PM
- infinite
11/26/2012 7:28 AM
+1
11/26/2012 1:52 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.