2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Hamilton isn't Japanese, dummy. 
11/8/2012 3:44 PM
I'm assuming any team that signs him will want a clause voiding the contract if he relapses.

Soria and Adams will likely command more than Duquette will pay for relievers. Id take a flyer on Berkman as DH. And I'd prefer Lohse or Haren over Sanchez, if they come cheaply enough.

Torii Hunter has also been linked to the Os. For the right price, I'd take him.
11/8/2012 4:07 PM
I don't think he would sign a deal with a clause like that.  I imagine the best-case scenario to cover for injury or the less-likely event of relapse is to give him a deal for something like 5/140 with $20 and $15 million vesting options for the 6th and 7th years if he gets to, say, 650 games or 2800 PAs in the first 5 years of the contract for year 6 + another 100 games or 400 PAs in the 6th year for the 7th year option.
11/8/2012 6:44 PM
He may not sign, but I could see a lot of teams requesting it. Lots of players have some sort of insurance clause in their contract. Hamilton has relapsed twice, so it's certainly not unfair for a team investing that much money to want the clause included. I don't see anyone offering him 7 years though, no matter what clauses are in the contract. He's showing signs of starting to break down already.

Question is, if he can get you to a WS in the next 2-3 seasons, is that worth the wasted years on the back end of the contract.
11/9/2012 10:40 AM
It only takes one team to not insist on it but, if he wants max money, he'll sign a deal with that sort of clause.    If he takes less money/years without a drug relapse clause, that tells you everything you need to know about him.
11/9/2012 10:58 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/9/2012 10:58:00 AM (view original):
It only takes one team to not insist on it but, if he wants max money, he'll sign a deal with that sort of clause.    If he takes less money/years without a drug relapse clause, that tells you everything you need to know about him.
How exactly would you know if he turns down a deal with some sort of relapse clause?

*What can and can't be put in contracts is governed by the CBA. I don't think a relapse clause is allowed. But they can put in vesting options for plate appearances, which would be a good idea; the real risk with Hamilton is injury and/or decline due to age, not drug or alcohol relapse.
11/9/2012 11:50 AM
Shockingly, stuff like that gets out.   You know, like this photo:

11/9/2012 12:33 PM
Mets are shopping Dickey which actually is a good move for them.  I have this strange feeling if he goes he is going to wind up on the O's.  He would be awesome in Baltimore, I think.  His influence on that young staff, that good team playing behind him  WOW.  Stay tuned.
11/9/2012 3:20 PM
Appears if he's traded, Mets want a solid, cheap, OF bat back...I don't know who the Orioles would give up.  Markakis makes wayyy too much and Jones isn't going anywhere.  I'm not that familiar with the O's prospects, but I don't see any great  future outfielders either.
11/9/2012 3:57 PM
Depends how much stock people put in Reimold, Avery and Hoes. They do have OF prospects, but I don't think they're viewed as top notch
11/9/2012 6:00 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/9/2012 11:50:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/9/2012 10:58:00 AM (view original):
How exactly would you know if he turns down a deal with some sort of relapse clause?

*What can and can't be put in contracts is governed by the CBA. I don't think a relapse clause is allowed. But they can put in vesting options for plate appearances, which would be a good idea; the real risk with Hamilton is injury and/or decline due to age, not drug or alcohol relapse.
So teams can put in clauses saying "If Player gets hurt riding a motorcycle, contract is voided", or "If Player uses steroids, contract is voided", but they can't put in a clause saying "If we invest a sh*tload of cash in this recovering alcholic/drug addict, and he relapses, the contract is voided"?
11/9/2012 6:01 PM
Joe Sheenan of SI is a moron, saying the O's front office shouldn't let this season fool them - they're nothing more than a .500 team that got lucky. He also said the O's should sign a third baseman and send Machado back to AAA next season.
11/9/2012 9:23 PM
Sheenan tells it like it is. They got locky with all those 1 run games. Regression to the mean next season.
11/9/2012 10:53 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 11/9/2012 9:23:00 PM (view original):
Joe Sheenan of SI is a moron, saying the O's front office shouldn't let this season fool them - they're nothing more than a .500 team that got lucky. He also said the O's should sign a third baseman and send Machado back to AAA next season.
Keep Macahdo up. But...yea, with this roster, I'm guessing 79-83 next year.
11/9/2012 11:21 PM
◂ Prev 1...28|29|30|31|32...75 Next ▸
2015 Orioles Thread - DEAD & BURIED Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.