Planned Update - Later this Year Topic

Posted by sluggo on 1/26/2012 9:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gr8flly on 1/26/2012 3:36:00 PM (view original):
I have a suggestion regarding recruiting and while it will not be addressed in this particular update, it may be something to consider down the road.  On the summary recruit page, would it be possible to have something that shows pending recruiting actions for the players?  Personally, I think it would be nice to know who I am waiting to hear from rather than clicking on the guy and checking the history.  When you are contacting a large number of guys its easy to forget....for me anyway.  Additionally, how about a mass recruit option?

Thanks for the open lines of communication.
You MUST give us the ability to cancel a recruiting action before the next cycle hits. I can't tell you the number of times I have lost recruits because I accidentally hit the wrong button and wasted a couple thousand dollars on the wrong player and ran out of money at the end. After all, the money for a Campus Visit isn't spent til you take the trip -- not when you tell the coach to head to the airport...
Again I say:

+1
+1
+1
+1
1/26/2012 9:28 PM
Make sure the DIME defense (especially one with lesser talent) cannot shutdown a WISHBONE offense...
1/26/2012 9:32 PM
Posted by sluggo on 1/26/2012 9:32:00 PM (view original):
Make sure the DIME defense (especially one with lesser talent) cannot shutdown a WISHBONE offense...
THe last update helped this some, although didn't fix the problem completely. But yes, 5-2 shouldn't shut down the SG, just as Dime should not shut down the WB. 

1/26/2012 9:35 PM
As far as player aspects go, I would like to see that the more you practice either form IQ or player the more you gain. It seems more realistic that the more you practice you should gain more for every minute rather than less for every minute. Make >10 min lose attributes, 10 min = no gain, 15 min less average gain per minute than 20 min. Same with 25, 30 or more. Makes no sense and adds no strategy if 15 min is the top value for gain.
1/26/2012 9:45 PM
Back with another.

Maybe make an adjustment to the penalty for a broken starting promise. Rather than having it be an immediate and large hit to WE as it is now, have it more progressive.

For example, if you don't start the player as promised for one game, his WE drops a few points (2 or 3?) and he sends you a warning letter. If you don't start him a second game, his WE drops further, say, 4 or 5 points. From there, each time he doesn't start as promised his WE drops until he finally leaves the team, even midseason.

Have it so that the quicker you correct the problem and get him back in the starting line up, the quicker and more completely he recovers WE.

1/26/2012 10:32 PM
Here are some of my ideas:

1) Of course Distribution settings in the passing game. If CB1 is going up against WR1, and I see he has a distinct advantage, but I see that my WR2 has an advantage over CB2, then I am going to want to target my 2nd WR a lot more than my #1 guy. 

2) For me, recruiting is a really FUN part of the game. But lets make it a little more realistic. Don't allow 20 Campus Visits per period, per recruit. Lets make it so that you can only invite "x" amount of recruits to your campus at any one time period/cycle. And instead of allowing us to send a set amount of them, lets give them aggressiveness settings, as in game planning. You can invite a guy only once per cycle, and only a total of 5 (for the sake of argument) CVs go out and they may or may not accept, based on your aggressiveness setting. Same with everything except calls, letters, etc. But any type of visits should be limited to 1 per cycle. 

3) With game planning, I believe if I read correctly (I skimmed over this, so forgive me if I misunderstood or am repeating anything), you are considering not just having formations, but actual "playbooks" as well? I suggested this about 2 years ago, to give game planning real depth and meaning. I think this is a great idea. Have offensive and defensive "playbooks", that way not only do we control the formations, we have control over the plays that are called. That way, we can't ***** and moan about the choices the engine made on 4th and goal from the 6. If we set 4 plays for every situation, we know that one of those 4 plays will be called, and WE chose those plays.

Thats all I have for now. I am tired, but I have a ton more ideas. I will try to give some more feedback on this tomorrow. 
1/26/2012 11:44 PM
I like the concept of being a passing team and switch to run if pass isn't working (i.e. defense is playing Pass defense), and vice versa.

I would like to see consideration of additional changes as follows:

1. set defense coverage in Man-to-man (either aggressive press coverage, or conservative off line of scrimmae; CBs are key defenders), or zone coverage (CBs, S, LBs all factor in coverage)

2. set defense blitz level/type (basic blitz = 1 blitzer, multiple blitz = 2 blitzers, max blitz = 3 blitzers, also have a zone blitz)

2a. set offensive blitz protection to either basic (no extra protection), moderate (TE/RB chip blocks, they go out for pass if not a heavy blitz), or max protection (TE/RB stay in to block and don't go out for pass)

3. set defense line style to 1-gap (Defense needs better DL than LBs... DTs try to make plays, LBs have to fend of blocks) or 2-gap (Defense needs better LBs than DL... DTs occupy OL and don't make plays but LBs have free run and make the plays), you can recruit DL/LB to fit your style

4. set O-line blocking to Zone blocking (OL requires BLK, GI, and Tech) or Man-to-man blocking (OL require BLK and Str), you can recruit OL to fit your style

5. Offense can call individual plays, by setting a percentage of times they can each be used.  Maybe have an inventory of 10 to 15 basic offensive plays. (For example, if there were 10 plays, a SIM team might set all of them to 10% each and run them equally).  Called pass plays would determine the primary receiver, if he is covered and QB decides not to throw, it's as if current system is in place and QB makes another pass or scramble. Play-by-play results would need to identify play that was called (ex: "QB incomplete pass to WR on skinny post", "RB rushes for 4 yards on draw"), so defense could scout as if watching the plays on film.

Example of play inventory would be:
Passes
RB screen (more effective if defense is rushing the passer),
Bubble screen to WR (more effective when the defense playing off line of scrimmage or CB is poor tackler),
Crossing pattern (more effective when DB/LB doesn't have GI to pick up in zone or DB doesn't have Speed to follow WR in man-to-man),
Deep vertical "go" routes (more effective when WR has speed and/or DB doesn't),
Stop-and-go, Sluggos/slant-and-go, Out-and-up (WR needs Tech and Speed),
Out/sideline patterns,can be deep or short (WR needs Tech to get feet in bounds, these also stop clock in hurry-up mode),
Post/skinny post patterns (up to Safety to make play on WR),
Curl routes/come-back/slant routes for possession receivers with little Speed/Elus but good hands,
Runs
Draw to RB (more effective if defense is rushing the passer),
Zone read runs (either QB/RB carries, depending if Aggr run defense and DE charges then QB keeps, if Consv defense and thus DE slow plays then the QB hands off to RB),
Basic RB inside runs (DTs and MLB defend) and outside runs (DE and OLB defend).
QB draw (effective with running QB and/or blitzing defense)
QB roll-outs (pass or run depending on GI and play available)

1/27/2012 11:23 AM
Season long recruiting. I know that it was mentioned earlier, but it would be nice to target 3-5 players during the season.

I doubt that it's plausible, but running the sim quarter by quarter would be a nice upgrade. Maybe something like 1st qtr at 2:30 am, 2nd at 8:30 am, 3rd at 2:30 pm, 4th at 8:30 pm. Or even condensing it to 4 am, 9 am, 2 pm, 7pm

Increase the stamina effect. Depth and the lack of it, should matter.

1/27/2012 12:10 PM
You MUST give us the ability to cancel a recruiting action before the next cycle hits. I can't tell you the number of times I have lost recruits because I accidentally hit the wrong button and wasted a couple thousand dollars on the wrong player and ran out of money at the end. After all, the money for a Campus Visit isn't spent til you take the trip -- not when you tell the coach to head to the airport...

I know everyone is not as old and slow minded as mojo and I but what sluggo said is a for sure good thing for me. 
1/27/2012 1:58 PM
I would like to see more play by play detail.  Was the QB forced to make a bad throw due to pressure, was he scrambling, did he just make a bad pass?  Also, take YAC to the next level in play by play and say that the receiver caught the ball at the 40 and was tackled at the 50.  Mention if a RB breaks a tackle.  Make mention of whether it was good pass defense, a bad throw, or a bad route that caused the ball to be incomplete or intercepted.  

Also, you have to be careful not to give the offense too much of an advantage.  If an offense has the ability to specify pass distribution, the defense should be able to double team a specific receiver.  If someone sends out a I formation on 2nd down with backup running backs, the defense should be sitting on a pass.  Otherwise the offensive settings are just trickery without letting the defense respond.
1/27/2012 2:15 PM
Posted by zharkins on 1/27/2012 2:15:00 PM (view original):
I would like to see more play by play detail.  Was the QB forced to make a bad throw due to pressure, was he scrambling, did he just make a bad pass?  Also, take YAC to the next level in play by play and say that the receiver caught the ball at the 40 and was tackled at the 50.  Mention if a RB breaks a tackle.  Make mention of whether it was good pass defense, a bad throw, or a bad route that caused the ball to be incomplete or intercepted.  

Also, you have to be careful not to give the offense too much of an advantage.  If an offense has the ability to specify pass distribution, the defense should be able to double team a specific receiver.  If someone sends out a I formation on 2nd down with backup running backs, the defense should be sitting on a pass.  Otherwise the offensive settings are just trickery without letting the defense respond.
Yes, this is definitely a goal when working on these settings.  If you can get an advantage on offense, the defense should have a way of countering it, and vice versa.  I think as long as we can come up with a "script" of how the plays break down and how each react at each step, we can build something in these lines.
1/27/2012 5:03 PM
I have a suggestion regarding recruiting and while it will not be addressed in this particular update, it may be something to consider down the road.  On the summary recruit page, would it be possible to have something that shows pending recruiting actions for the players?  Personally, I think it would be nice to know who I am waiting to hear from rather than clicking on the guy and checking the history.  When you are contacting a large number of guys its easy to forget....for me anyway.  Additionally, how about a mass recruit option?

For everyone that +1 this, I think we'll put out a minor update before we start working on the major one that will take a few months, and two of the things that we'll get in there are cancelling recruiting efforts (like Hoops Dynasty does) and a separate offense and defense playbook setting.  I'm hoping we can sneak it in in February.
1/27/2012 5:06 PM
1. Don't shoe-horn all GD play results into real-world statistical norms, even where very unrealistic talent differentials exist  (!!!!!!)
2. Passing distribution
3. (since you already know #1 and #2): Formational depth charts for everything but OL/QB
4. A way to make your "Hurry Up" gameplan situational by yardage, in addition to score/time!!! (ie, I don't need my passing offense if I'm on my opponent's 4-yd line with 55 sec left and losing by 2, but I sure as hell do if I'm on MY 4-yd line, down by 2 w/ 55 sec left)
5. Offensive pace setting
6. Separate Off/Def gameplan
7. More specific control over blitz frequency and personnel
8. Zone vs. Man coverage setting for defense
9. Gameplan (or individual play call) for "inside my own X yard line"

1/27/2012 5:30 PM
Posted by norbert on 1/27/2012 5:06:00 PM (view original):

For everyone that +1 this, I think we'll put out a minor update before we start working on the major one that will take a few months, and two of the things that we'll get in there are cancelling recruiting efforts (like Hoops Dynasty does) and a separate offense and defense playbook setting.  I'm hoping we can sneak it in in February.
+1
1/27/2012 6:56 PM
Posted by champ83 on 1/27/2012 11:23:00 AM (view original):
I like the concept of being a passing team and switch to run if pass isn't working (i.e. defense is playing Pass defense), and vice versa.

I would like to see consideration of additional changes as follows:

1. set defense coverage in Man-to-man (either aggressive press coverage, or conservative off line of scrimmae; CBs are key defenders), or zone coverage (CBs, S, LBs all factor in coverage)

2. set defense blitz level/type (basic blitz = 1 blitzer, multiple blitz = 2 blitzers, max blitz = 3 blitzers, also have a zone blitz)

2a. set offensive blitz protection to either basic (no extra protection), moderate (TE/RB chip blocks, they go out for pass if not a heavy blitz), or max protection (TE/RB stay in to block and don't go out for pass)

3. set defense line style to 1-gap (Defense needs better DL than LBs... DTs try to make plays, LBs have to fend of blocks) or 2-gap (Defense needs better LBs than DL... DTs occupy OL and don't make plays but LBs have free run and make the plays), you can recruit DL/LB to fit your style

4. set O-line blocking to Zone blocking (OL requires BLK, GI, and Tech) or Man-to-man blocking (OL require BLK and Str), you can recruit OL to fit your style

5. Offense can call individual plays, by setting a percentage of times they can each be used.  Maybe have an inventory of 10 to 15 basic offensive plays. (For example, if there were 10 plays, a SIM team might set all of them to 10% each and run them equally).  Called pass plays would determine the primary receiver, if he is covered and QB decides not to throw, it's as if current system is in place and QB makes another pass or scramble. Play-by-play results would need to identify play that was called (ex: "QB incomplete pass to WR on skinny post", "RB rushes for 4 yards on draw"), so defense could scout as if watching the plays on film.

Example of play inventory would be:
Passes
RB screen (more effective if defense is rushing the passer),
Bubble screen to WR (more effective when the defense playing off line of scrimmage or CB is poor tackler),
Crossing pattern (more effective when DB/LB doesn't have GI to pick up in zone or DB doesn't have Speed to follow WR in man-to-man),
Deep vertical "go" routes (more effective when WR has speed and/or DB doesn't),
Stop-and-go, Sluggos/slant-and-go, Out-and-up (WR needs Tech and Speed),
Out/sideline patterns,can be deep or short (WR needs Tech to get feet in bounds, these also stop clock in hurry-up mode),
Post/skinny post patterns (up to Safety to make play on WR),
Curl routes/come-back/slant routes for possession receivers with little Speed/Elus but good hands,
Runs
Draw to RB (more effective if defense is rushing the passer),
Zone read runs (either QB/RB carries, depending if Aggr run defense and DE charges then QB keeps, if Consv defense and thus DE slow plays then the QB hands off to RB),
Basic RB inside runs (DTs and MLB defend) and outside runs (DE and OLB defend).
QB draw (effective with running QB and/or blitzing defense)
QB roll-outs (pass or run depending on GI and play available)

+1  Excellent stuff if these ideas are workable.  Love the examples of play inventory.

I'd like to add the ability for a High GI QB to be more likely to audible to the draw if he senses a blitz or a pass if he senses single man coverage on the outside with the safeties crowding the box.  Likewise, a high GI safety could influence the game more, like a Reed or Polamalu, by duping a QB to throw the ball somewhere by making it appear open,etc...  Again, these might all be too technical, but if we're making a wish list...
1/27/2012 10:31 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...31 Next ▸
Planned Update - Later this Year Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.