Planned Update - Later this Year Topic

Posted by uneedusman on 1/29/2012 11:43:00 PM (view original):

First, norbert, thank you so much for not only your efforts but also your attempts to seek input from the users. Whether WifS recognizes it or not, your efforts are making money for them by keeping people like me playing in anticipation of some improvements to GiD.

I'll try not to let this post get too long but I've been thinking about this idea for a while. As you're probably aware, since the last major engine change, most users seem to believe that there is some random factor affecting the outcome of games.  No one wants a game in which the team with the best players wins every game, but if there is a random factor making players sometimes play above or below their ratings, I believe that we should know what that factor is.  This is a ratings based simulation, not real life.  Unknown factors produce unexplainable results which then produce unhappy users, in my opinion.

So the idea that I came up with is adding a rating for each player called Focus. Focus would represent the mood, attitude, and focus of the player for each game. This rating would fluctuate completely randomly to simulate real life and would affect the way a player plays in the game that day, either in a negative way or a positive way.  So a player with a higher than normal Focus rating would play above his ratings that day and a lower Focus would mean he's likely to have a subpar day.  Each player could be affected differently by his Focus so that it wouldn't be obvious just how good or bad a day he was going to have.  But a coach who paid attention would be able to figure out how his players would perform as their Focus went up or down after looking at each player's performance over the course of a season or a career.  This would lead to more strategy is setting depth charts for each game as the coach would have to decide if, for example, his #2 RB with a higher Focus for the upcoming game should start over his #1 RB who happens to have a lower Focus for this game.  And it would allow for upsets to occur and not appear as random as they appear to be currently.  If the more talented team happened to have several players with low Focus ratings and his opponent had many of his players with high Focus ratings, it would help explain why an OL with a 10 point rating advantage was unable to get the running game going, or why a QB who threw only 7 interceptions in 300 pass attempts throws 4 in one game, for example.

It's just an idea. It may not even be possible.  I'm sure there are things that I'm not considering and there may be better ways to address the issue.  As much as we want the game to reflect real life, it is not and the results should not be artificially manipulated just to produce life-like outcomes.  I just have trouble accepting the idea that there is some unknown, random factor which the users can never have any control over or knowledge of and yet it is helping to determine the outcome of a ratings based simulation.

Again, thank for all your efforts, norbert, and thanks for listening to all of us.

Well, I don't want to get this thread off track, but this is something that I feel should be addressed.  There isn't a factor or setting or predetermined anything that makes a player perform worse or better than expected.  What I have mentioned before is that the randomness is in determining each and every play result.  When each team lines up for a play, it simulates that play in determining how many yards a player gets on a rush or if a pass is complete or incomplete and so on.  You have the base chances of different things happening at each point in the game (tackled for a loss, etc) which is where comparing to real life averages come into play.  The base chances with no modifications should be similar to real life averages.  Then you modify those base chances based on the players' ratings, so a higher rated player increases the chance of success and a lower rated player decreases it.  Now, if you throw all the results of those plays together and the higher rated player actually doesn't have a lot of success, that's where I would say the player did not play up to expectations or "had a bad day", but this means the poor performances are left up to chance depending on how each play plays out.  So there are many checks and chances for a player throughout the game and not just one randomly predetermined performance factor.
1/30/2012 12:20 PM
I didn't mean to get your thread off track either.  I don't see how my suggestion is any different than any other suggestion in a thread that was presented as an opportunity to make suggestions to improve the game.

The fact is, it doesn't matter if the random factor is predetermined (which I never said, by the way) or whether it is implemented on a play by play basis.  My suggestion for making a better game was that instead of a random chance of poor performance which is completely outside of coaching influence, it would be nice if we had more information and some opportunity to affect those chances of poor play rather than being forced to wait and find out after the fact that our star player just happened to have a bad day.

I apologize for the misunderstanding and thanks for your time.
1/30/2012 1:21 PM
Posted by dawgnuts on 1/29/2012 11:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by nittanylions on 1/25/2012 12:26:00 PM (view original):
Formation specific depth charts
Please do this!  I hate not being able to use a receiving TE in some formations and then a blocking TE in another, for example.
+1
1/30/2012 1:36 PM
It's not that the suggestion would take it off topic. I'm more afraid that it the whole topic of randomness would take the topic off topic, as that's been beat to death in other threads.  As far as having a component that would say whether a player would be up or down for a game, one problem I would have with that is that there is already a random component, as I described, built into the very nature of a simulation that could cause a player to play better or worse in a game and I'd be afraid that adding something on top of that would make the results seem even more random as I wouldn't be able to tie the results solely to the new component.

I will say that one of the things I'd like to accomplish with the update is to provide a little less randomness and a little more detail. I hope to tie a little more to player match ups.  If I can get the engine to a point where there is a little more control on how plays play out, we can revisit the topic of player performance and if having something that pushes a player's performance up or down would be worthwhile.  But there is no way to really add up all the players on the field, look at all the settings, and say "oh, this player gets 10 yards on this play".  The results of the plays will always rely on some randomness to determine how the play plays out, but I might be able to turn the screws a little more so the range of results is a little tighter and if it does go outside that range, then give some indication of why.
1/30/2012 1:42 PM
Just to comment on the formation specific depth charts...a lot of this depends on how we handle setting up the plays.  If we look at setting up playbooks as building a bunch of plays that you can pull from, then I'm sort of leaning to have basic depth charts as they are now and then advanced depth charts based on special position needs.  For instance, you could set a Blocking TE depth chart and then when building the play, you could set it to use the Blocking TE.  This would require being able to define a set of special depth charts for each position and allowing the plays to be built as such.

What we do with the engine will drive what we can do with the game plans.  I need to change the way it simulates the plays before I could make some of these changes, so I'll know more once I start changing the engine.  The game plan ideas will be what drives the engine changes, so they both need to be worked on about the same time.  It's tough to do one without the other.

If you were creating a bunch of plays that your team could run in a game, what sort of info would you like to set?  How much level of control would you like on each player?  Keep in mind that the plays have to be generic enough and flexible enough to encompass the entire game.  I would say we'd want to see more like a dozen plays in the playbook versus a hundred.  Can you think of ways to define situations in which you would want to use each play?  For instance, maybe you set up a play that is passing but you don't want to use it in short yardage situations, or maybe there's a way to modify the play call for short yardage situations.  Throw out any ideas along these lines and maybe something will come together.

Also, if anyone has real life experience with putting together playbooks for real teams, please contact me through customer support, and I really mean real experience.
1/30/2012 2:03 PM

For playbooks, just download Bowl Bound College football from Greydog Software.  That's where a lot of these suggestions are coming from.

I personally am against having individual plays and playbooks.  I think it will make setting up defenses really dificult and time consuming.

I am for adding a couple of new formations on offense and defense.  Take out style and add % run inside and % run outside for run plays and add % pass -5 to 0, 1 to 5, 6-15 and 15+ for pass plays.  Add something similar for the defense. 

1/30/2012 3:07 PM
Posted by dawgnuts on 1/29/2012 11:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by nittanylions on 1/25/2012 12:26:00 PM (view original):
Formation specific depth charts
Please do this!  I hate not being able to use a receiving TE in some formations and then a blocking TE in another, for example.
again +1
1/30/2012 3:17 PM
The central issue for many of us using the formation specific depth chart is not whether we have the best TE in for the style of play we are about to use, though that helps. The central issue is using it to gain fatigue advantages over those who put less time and effort into the game.  Let's say I am using a nd box and a wishbone because my team runs 80% of the time.  With one of my formations I am going to go all run (for this example let's say it is the box) and in the other I am just going to run.  I plan on using each formation in equal amounts.  By using my 2nd string QB with say the nd box that I am only running out of I am limiting the number of plays my QB sees the field thereby preserving his freshness.  Part of the joy of only throwing out of trips was that I could put my 4th string rb there and make sure that my actual runners got off field for a play.  The same is true on defense.  Know the other guy is only running out of his wishbone?  Put your worst db's to save them for formations where his throwing.  Does such wild substitution reflect reality?  No.  Was it fun and did it reward those who were willing to put in the time?  Yes.  Did it reward the guy whose roster was 50 deep instead of 22?  Certainly.  What Norbert, IMO, has to decide is if wants to reward those clever enough to game the system or keep the game a little simpler, and maybe more accessible, but not reward those put the time quite so much.  There is an argument to be made either way. 
1/30/2012 7:01 PM
IMO, passing distribution is more important than formation specific depth charts.
1/30/2012 8:43 PM
I have read through all of these suggestions and some of them are great, others are just going to over complicate the game and run off football novices. I like the idea of a balance where the game is easy enough that a person with basic knowledge of football can enter the game and have a good idea what he/she is doing from the start, and complicated enough to keep it fun for the experts and create a learning experience for even a die hard football buff. I know from real life that the distance between a real coach, and a football fan is light years! But you need to keep the game fun and informative for all.

I have a couple of ideas that I have not seen listed, they are a little radical in nature, but not so much in programming I think.

1) I am tired of the same old predictable Sims running the same offenses and defenses, how do I know how my opponent is going to handle my offense if he has never played against it? I propose that the Sim teams either practice and play all of the formations, and that they are given extra formation IQ to compensate, or that a base set of formations and game plans is assigned to each school so that it will default to that whenever it is Sim coached. If I wanted to run a WB offense currently, and I took over a SIM team, it would take 4 seasons to build and coach that team. But I could start right out with the "I," Pro Set or Trips and I really think that this hurts the game. If you set a "default formations" and "default game/practice plan" for each school, then that Sim coach should know exactly what attributes in a player that he is looking for and set his priority for going after the recruits that show those attributes. This would be a great teaching tool to show everyone what type recruits that they should be looking for if they want to use the particular formations used by that Sim coach. Either of these plans would help whether you are a new coach looking to start off with a decent team, or it would make it easier for a coach to move up to a team that was previously Sim coached. I think that there are a lot of coaches right now that just wait on a good program to open up before they make a move.

2) Speaking of these moves I have seen another thing that is somewhat detrimental and discouraging to new coaches, or those trying to build a dynasty from scratch. When a coach leaves a powerhouse in real life, seldom does a new coach step in and keep it going at the same pace. Right now if you are coaching in a conference with an established dynasty, you are not going to win many championships because that school is always going to have great recruiting vision and great players, even if there is a change of coaches. It seems to me that in real life the formation IQ, the WE, and possibly some other attributes would drop on the existing players, and the recruiting vision should drop at least to the level that the coach had at his previous school if not to a baseline level.

3) Almost everyone that I have talked to uses spreadsheets vigorously for all kinds of things from recruiting to game planning. It would make life a lot easier if all of the data tables were spreadsheet friendly, or if there was a copy to spreadsheet button that would copy the pertinent data into memory and ready for paste.
1/30/2012 8:55 PM
Okay, again, CCs need to be opened to everyone to talk in. I guarantee this would be an easy, welcome addition. I doubt it takes too much to add, either.

1/30/2012 9:00 PM
Posted by caesari on 1/30/2012 9:00:00 PM (view original):
Okay, again, CCs need to be opened to everyone to talk in. I guarantee this would be an easy, welcome addition. I doubt it takes too much to add, either.

+1 on this.  I would be great to be able to talk trash/say Hi in conference chat pages.  I think it would really liven up the OOC games during the season.

1/30/2012 9:13 PM
Here is a crazy idea: Give different SIM teams different game plans. Why does every SIM team have the exact same game plan? Not very realistic. Right now, SIM games are a waste of time. Everyone puts in their same O and D game plans and takes the day off. Make some SIM teams Run a little more than Pass. Make a few Pass Happy or Run Happy. This way it forces coaches to game plan every game. If they play three SIM games in a row, they can no longer set their lineup and come back three days later. We would have to look at each team's games to see how to set our Defense.

There have been plenty of DII and D1AA seasons where I only had 1 or 2 human opponents in Conference, and even a few where I had no human opponents. Playing 9 SIM opponents in one year is not fun.

The only problem I see with this is that the SIM's first opponent could be surprised if the SIM doesn't play in a preseason game. Maybe all you have to do is guarantee that each SIM will play at least one preseason game. Like put in a feature that after the Freshman report, any SIM that hasn't yet been scheduled for a preseason game by midnight the next night automatically gets scheduled with another SIM for the 0230 Freshman game.
1/30/2012 9:25 PM (edited)
Posted by sluggo on 1/30/2012 9:20:00 PM (view original):
Here is a crazy idea: Give different SIM teams different game plans. Why does every SIM team have the exact same game plan? Not very realistic. Right now, SIM games are a waste of time. Everyone puts in their same O and D game plans and takes the day off. Make some SIM teams Run a little more than Pass. Make a few Pass Happy or Run Happy. This way it forces coaches to game plan every game. If they play three SIM games in a row, they can no longer set their lineup and come back three days later. We would have to look at each team's games to see how to set our Defense.

There have been plenty of DII and D1AA seasons where I only had 1 or 2 human opponents in Conference, and even a few where I had no human opponents. Playing 9 SIM opponents in one year is not fun.
Have 3 SIM AI Coaches...Pass Happy Harry, Balanced Bobby and Grind It Out George.
1/30/2012 9:25 PM
I like the idea. Very interesting.

One thing we can all agree on is that WIS needs to market more. While this isn't a specific suggestion for the game, (sorry Norb) it is vital to the continual flow of profit. I think, after viewing a bunch of different simulation sites, this is by far the most visually appealing, and therefore it is more attractive to play. You get guys that buy one season to try it out, then they stick around if the engine is good. But we wont have  that if there is no marketing.
1/30/2012 9:31 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...31 Next ▸
Planned Update - Later this Year Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.