I know there has been talk in the past about a potential world for professional basketball where former HD players would play, but havn’t seen an actual proposal ever brought up before. I created two (sure to be flawed) basic models for such a league. Both models act the same, but have different league structures. They are based on operating off of one game a day worlds which I believe have 46 day seasons. I havn’t fully developed either model, but Model A is definitely closer to a finished product. Obviously, both models have faults, but I’m looking to see if: a) many people would have interest, b) if it is feasible. I’ve always thought that it would have interest and would increase interest in HD too, but I have no idea about the feasibility of such a world(s).
Basic Principles for both models:
-30 teams per league.
-Not set on roster size (probably between 12 and 15 teams).
-Draft
                -The draft would still occur and would operate much like a non-live fantasy sports draft.
                                -A general list of players would be distributed on day 1 of graduating or declaring early HD players. Probably would include 300-400 players. They would be listed in the order that the sim would draft them currently. So, the NBA draft that we see now listed at the end of the season would be the top 60 players listed on day 1.
                                                -This means prestige added to HD teams by having players drafted would switch to having a player listed as a top 60 available player.
                -Coaches could list players in order of top to worse choice. Users could also specify to or not to draft certain positions.
-Signings
                -Signings for every league besides the NBA/top league start on day 1.
                                -The NBA/top league would be available to sign after the draft.
                                                -The reason for this is so that some potential draftees (maybe ten percent of players rated between 20-100) would be willing to sign with Euro teams if they were willing to offer either: a) more money than a NBA rookie contract and/or b) a starting spot.
                -Players would pick teams based on such factors as (playing time offered and money)
                -Resigning of players during the final year of their contract could occur at any time during the season.
-Every player would have expectations for playing time and their desire to resign would be dependent on if their hopes were being met.
                -All player potential would be available for all coach’s to see.
-Ratings
                -In previous threads I have seen concerns over how ratings translate. I would like to keep the 100 point rating system.
                                -The players’ ratings would translate to the professional game in a sort of haphazard way. For instance, a player with a 75 rating in a category could translate from anywhere from a 30-50 and a 99 rating from 60-80. Probably would have to translate different than that example, but you get the idea.
                -Professional potential would be loosely related to potential out of high school, so, that the player would at least be somewhat the same. For instance, if a player had high potential out of high school they would have at least normal potential professionally.
                                -Generally EE’s would have more potential.
                -Growth would slow after 25 and would peak around 30 and start to regress in early to mid-30’s.
                -Would include another element similar to IQ called Professional readiness.
                                -Sr’s out of college would be at a C, Jr’s at a D, and Soph’s at a F.
-Schedule
                -Day 1-8 A.M.-Contract offerings begin. 8 P.M.-Signings start.
                -Day 2-5 P.M.-NBA Draft (Model A)/Top League Draft (Model B).
                -Day 4-11:59 P.M.-Signings end.
                -Day 5-38-The season. Play 2 games a day with 5 days off. That means 58 games (playing every team twice).
                -Day 39-40-First round of the playoffs. 16 teams make the playoffs. Best of 3 series. 39 A.M. game one. 39 P.M. game two. 40 A.M. game three.
                -Day 41-42-Quarterfinals of the playoffs.
                -Day 43-44-Semifinals of the playoffs.
                -Day 45-46-Finals of the playoffs.
-Money
                -Due to there being more games there should be a higher cost. Probably in the $15-$20 amount per season.
                -Because there are fewer teams there would be smaller (by percentage at least) rewards available for successful season.
Model A
-League Structure: NBA-82 mil.
                                Euroleague 1-35-50 mil.
                                Euroleague 2-25-35 mil.
                                D-League-22-27 mil.
                                Other-10-15 mil.
                -The NBA is the only league with a salary cap. The other leagues go off of available funds which are earned in a prestige-like system. The values listed for them are the maximum and minimum possible available funds.
                -Other leagues would just be random world leagues. For my purposes I used 5 leagues (Latin America, Asian, African, Middle Eastern, Australian). If I operated under that assumption there could be 9 leagues or 240 teams in a world.
                -The Euroleagues allow for regulation and promotion.
Model B
-The difference would be that the entire league structure operates off of regulation and promotion.
-There was going to be more to this, but I’m tired and this option is probably less feasible anyways.
Sorry for the length and the concerns I’m sure to have looked over.
2/8/2012 10:51 PM
Okay, but who would want to play in the overseas market? Very few would be willing, I'm betting. Also, there would be so few spots it would be hard to justify a whole new server per world (because Rupp would have to feed into Jackson, Wooden into Riley, etc) for such a limited amount of owners. Unless you could fill the overseas markets, it would be impractical to implement this idea from a money standpoint.

That said, I do like the idea. I've pondered this lately, but never panned anything out. Great work and effort put into this.
2/8/2012 11:04 PM
I'm interested, and although I like the Euroleague/other league idea I think it'd be more realistic to just have a 3"-team "NBA"
And by regulation, I assume you mean relegation
2/8/2012 11:07 PM
Yeah I don't know about interest in overseas teams. People in HD do own teams in areas they have no connection to, so, I think many don't care, but could be wrong. Plus location matters less because there is no recruiting. That and if people filled up the initial 240 teams you could expand to more worlds or more of the "other leagues".
And I meant relegation. I have 3 English teachers in my family, but obviously it hasn't helped. 
2/8/2012 11:16 PM
I support this idea!
2/9/2012 12:51 AM
I like the idea on paper anyway...

Maybe this is flawed thinking but what about just adding another tier to the world...so you'd have D3, D2 D1 and NBA.  Obviously there are way fewer NBA teams than at any other level so it would be super competitive to get one of those jobs but it would be no more competitive than the pursuit of one of the top baseline D1 jobs now.  Would also allow some of those top D1 jobs to come open more regularly potentially as people jump to the NBA.  Could make the NBA jobs far more volatile in terms of getting fired, which would again lead to more coach-movement. 

2/9/2012 1:23 AM
Having a pro level to HD is a great idea on paper but the practical realities make it pretty much impossible that it would ever happen. Still something to dream about.
2/9/2012 2:08 AM
it seems great - but things like trades and lack of team options per would would bring it down...

can you imagine trying to program fair trades with sim teams?
2/9/2012 2:39 AM
Trades would be an issue, but there are a couple ways you could deal with that. 
     A) Set up a system where if a high enough percentage of users vote against a trade it is nullified. Plus if a trade is obviously done just to make one team a juggernaut WIS could impose their own penalties.
     B) Shorten the lengths of contracts to say 4 seasons or less and don't allow any type of trading. It would make it different than the real world, but HD holds many differences from college basketball too.

I've thought about adding the NBA pro level to the current season, but I don't think it would be good for the game from a marketing standpoint. Right now most HD users are big college basketball fans or come from college basketball hot beds. We have some, but far less users that are NBA/pro first fans. I don't see any people with interest in the professional side really being interested in going through the 10+ seasons that it would take to go through the college aspect to reach the pro game. So, that just means that the 30 coaches would come from the HD community and would likely mean 30 less coaches at low to mid-major schools which would increase that gap. 
By contrast, adding a pro game would mean we would add a different demographic plus we would add HD coaches who want to follow old players. So, I think adding a separate game would be far more profitable than adding a different level to HD.
I'll post a link to this in the simleague b-ball forums and see what they think.
2/9/2012 10:00 AM
I would be interested as a basketball sim player, but if the logic for this is anything near what the logic is in the actual basketball sim then this is just going to a situation for me to keep gaining gray hairs.

The NBA sim is so forgotten and run into the ground that I would be interested in something like this if WIS was really interested in making it better, but of course if it is a Dynasty League or Baseball League then it will probably be ok.
2/9/2012 10:23 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.