Throw the Bum Out - Hall of Fame Edition Topic

Posted by kermit on 3/1/2012 2:16:00 PM (view original):
Also note that the "rest of his numbers" included an ERA of 3.34 (6th in the league).
Jim Palmer was better across the board.
3/1/2012 2:20 PM
Where would jrd be without E and kerm to make his case for him? Too bad he doesn't bother doing any of his own research or he may actually be able to make a decent point without sounding like a tool.
3/1/2012 2:21 PM
All the sportwriters in the early 80s were hacks.
3/1/2012 2:23 PM

Not sure if someone else posted this, but this article from FanGraphs has some fascinating characters in it.  What I noticed is that the guys who like FIP really really really like it, and will basically fight anyone who refutes any part of it.  It's almost a religious thing, where they won't listen to logic (in this case, some guy named "Rational-something") and immmediately flame on anyone who doesn't agree with them.

They absolutely REFUSE to believe that a pitcher has some control over a batted ball, and that guys like Maddux, Glavine, Rivera, and the awesome Matt Cain might be able to get the hitter to miss the sweet spot in key situations and consistently outperform their FIP by controlling their BABIP through command.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/a-random-walk-with-fip/

If I had to guess, jrd probably orders his kool-aid from this site.

3/1/2012 2:29 PM
I like DIPS better.  Because only DIP ***** buy the crap they're selling.
3/1/2012 2:35 PM
Just to extend the BABIP analogy, I've played slow-pitch softball for years.  We had a pitcher that could throw inside strikes ALL DAY, hitting the inside corner like a metronome.  We stacked the left side with our best players, almost knowing where the hitters HAD to hit the ball.  I'm sure his BABIP was much lower than the league average because he could get the hitters to swing at HIS pitch, which would typically be hit where he had his best fielders waiting.

Of course, the hitter could try to inside out the ball, and go to right field, but those were typically not hit with any authority and could be fielded by average fielders.  The only way they could square up a ball was to pull it, and you can plan for that.
3/1/2012 2:36 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 3/1/2012 2:36:00 PM (view original):
Just to extend the BABIP analogy, I've played slow-pitch softball for years.  We had a pitcher that could throw inside strikes ALL DAY, hitting the inside corner like a metronome.  We stacked the left side with our best players, almost knowing where the hitters HAD to hit the ball.  I'm sure his BABIP was much lower than the league average because he could get the hitters to swing at HIS pitch, which would typically be hit where he had his best fielders waiting.

Of course, the hitter could try to inside out the ball, and go to right field, but those were typically not hit with any authority and could be fielded by average fielders.  The only way they could square up a ball was to pull it, and you can plan for that.
But was the pitcher able to guide the ball right into the fielder's glove? If not, zero control.
3/1/2012 2:38 PM
I'm pretty sure Jim Palmer did not go to the playoffs that year. How could he be the best pitcher if he couldn't beat out a weak AL East division?
3/1/2012 2:41 PM
screw this babip nonsense.  it's the pitchers fault if he doesn't strike the batter out.  whatever happens is all on him.

if he is responsible for strikeouts, then he should be equally repsonsible for non-strikeouts, because according to this fip garbage, getting strikeouts is the pitchers damn job.  hold him responsible for not doing his job.
3/1/2012 2:50 PM
Uh oh.  Sounds like somebody doesn't fully understand ADVANCED BASEBALL STATISTICS!!!
3/1/2012 3:03 PM
Cue the ominous Jaws music as jrd_x's dorsal fin begins to appear....     
3/1/2012 3:05 PM

"We're gonna need a bigger thread"
3/1/2012 3:23 PM
Very well played, sir
3/1/2012 3:36 PM
ADVANCED METRICS!!!!!!

3/1/2012 3:46 PM

Where did you manage to track down a picture of primate?

3/1/2012 4:00 PM
◂ Prev 1...75|76|77|78|79...103 Next ▸
Throw the Bum Out - Hall of Fame Edition Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.