Throw the Bum Out - Hall of Fame Edition Topic

Funny how people who actually watched baseball when Hunter pitched can appreciate why he is HOF worthy, while the "stupid millennials with stats" cannot.

That's why context is important. As well as watching the games.

"I don't have to watch the games. I have the stats" - bad_luck
6/23/2017 5:54 PM
Well, ****. I'm always down to learn from an old-timer like yourself. You tell me why Hunter is so hall worthy and Mussina isn't. What context am I missing?
6/23/2017 6:10 PM
For a 4-5 year period, Hunter was the most coveted pitcher in MLB.
Mussina was never the most coveted pitcher in MLB.

But, as I said, BLd_x and his stat book have to be smarter than every GM in baseball from the 70s, right?
6/23/2017 6:53 PM
What does most coveted really mean? You keep saying it like it's a fact. Hunter wasn't the best in the AL, let alone all of MLB. I would have rather had Palmer over the same 4 years (or their entire careers).
6/23/2017 6:57 PM
I'd take Seaver over Hunter too. Probably Perry & Messersmith. Maybe even Sutton.
6/23/2017 7:05 PM
"Most coveted" is what someone says when they have no argument based on anything that actually happened on the field.
6/23/2017 7:06 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/23/2017 5:54:00 PM (view original):
Funny how people who actually watched baseball when Hunter pitched can appreciate why he is HOF worthy, while the "stupid millennials with stats" cannot.

First of all, I'd bet I'm older than you and I saw Hunter pitch. I don't see where anyone said he was not a good pitcher. Just that he may not be hall worthy. There's nothing wrong with not being in the Hall. There are hundreds of very good pitchers who are not in the Hall of Fame. Hunter should be one of them. Yes, he was great for 3 - 4 years. For the rest of his career he was average to good. Mussina may not have ever been great, but he was consistently very good for a long career right in the middle of the steroid era.
6/23/2017 7:25 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 6/23/2017 5:54:00 PM (view original):

You just have a bias. It's okay, we all do. I grew up watching the Killer B's. Biggio and Bagwell are in, and from the eye test, no one was better going the opposite way with power than Lance Berkman. The eyetest says he's a HoFer too, to me. But without stats, how do we compare great hitters/pitchers to each other?

6/23/2017 8:37 PM
Catfish also has a lot going on in the "fame" part of things besides being an outstanding pitcher. Ton of points for that.
6/23/2017 9:06 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/23/2017 6:57:00 PM (view original):
What does most coveted really mean? You keep saying it like it's a fact. Hunter wasn't the best in the AL, let alone all of MLB. I would have rather had Palmer over the same 4 years (or their entire careers).
"coveted" = desired, sought after.

No one gives a **** who you would have rather had when you were still shitting your diapers. Did you have a statbook when you were 2?
6/24/2017 4:17 AM
6/24/2017 4:52 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 6/23/2017 7:06:00 PM (view original):
I'd take Seaver over Hunter too. Probably Perry & Messersmith. Maybe even Sutton.
"Right here in my stat book, all 4 of them has superior FIP in the 7th inning on when leading by 2 or more with crowd sizes exceeding 32,157!!!"

6/24/2017 8:08 AM
Again, claiming Hunter was "most coveted" (which is just something you made up) is what you do when you know Hunter wasn't actually the best.
6/24/2017 12:00 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/24/2017 8:08:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 6/23/2017 7:06:00 PM (view original):
"Right here in my stat book, all 4 of them has superior FIP in the 7th inning on when leading by 2 or more with crowd sizes exceeding 32,157!!!"

I guess Hunter just choked under pressure from big crowds then. Sounds like he sucks
6/24/2017 1:06 PM
Pitchers not in the HOF who were better than Hunter:

Schilling
Mussina
Halladay
Kevin Brown
Tiant
Jack Morris
David Cone
Kevin Appier
Chuck Finley
Hershiser
Tim Hudson
Tommy John
Mark Buehrle
Langston
JIm Kaat
David Wells
BRAD RADKE!
6/26/2017 12:32 PM
◂ Prev 1...79|80|81|82|83...103 Next ▸
Throw the Bum Out - Hall of Fame Edition Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.