GD's Guide to the Game Topic

But it is worth Far More when paired with a decent work ethic. I have had my share of STL and WE in the 30's. This effectively kills a lot of the gain a STL would otherwise have made.
8/18/2016 3:08 AM
What does it mean if a recruiting message says this: "His mechanics are a bit unique but effective" Does that carry a specific message?
11/25/2016 3:26 AM (edited)
does GPA affect recruit development, I cant remember, thanks
2/22/2017 3:31 PM
Posted by alexisthomas on 11/25/2016 3:26:00 AM (view original):
What does it mean if a recruiting message says this: "His mechanics are a bit unique but effective" Does that carry a specific message?
The only line that really matters in the scouting reports is the first one which relates to the recruit's potential for growth...the rest is just fluff.
3/1/2017 12:27 AM
GPA affects Formation IQ. Higher the GPA, the higher your FIQ can grow.
3/4/2017 10:32 AM
Kickoff and punt return stats aren't logged anywhere are they? Is there an unofficial record for most returns in a season?
7/17/2017 6:08 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 2/22/2012 5:53:00 AM (view original):
Wishbone Offense:  Well, since caesari called me out, I suppose I have to at least add something to this thread.

First let me say that there are others who run the WB also at the various levels and it seems everyone has a slightly different way in which they use it.  

I've been running it in Heisman D3 and D2 for 8 full seasons.  When I started in Heisman I decided to give it a try because the team I took over had some good RBs, a solid OL, and not much in the WR department.....so the experiment began and here are my thoughts.

1.  You can win a lot of games using the WB exclusively.  I've seen some guys who use it part time, but I believe its true value is in using it exclusively.
2.  My philosophy is run, run, run and when that doesn't work, run some more.  :)  I've been in many games where in 1H the WB was simply shut down by SIMs and/or human coaches.  Don't give up your gameplan.  The 2H can completely turn around and if/when the WB comes alive, it rocks!!  I've also lost a few games because the 'bone just never did come alive.
3.  I've had some success throwing from the WB, but it has not been consistent enough for me.  In this game, as in real life, the 'bone will get you 2, 3, 2, 4, 4, 3, 2 and then a 55 yarder.  So, the more you run, the more opportunities you have for the 55 yarder to pop up.  (At least thats the way I look at it).
4.  What do you need?  Much like any successful offense, you first need an outstanding OL.  Without that, you are not going to get much with any offense.  Beyond that, you need at least 6 very good RBs (I typically have 4 RBs and 2 FBs).  I also keep at least 2 WRs who are deep threats, just so I have that weapon, if I ever get really behind and HAVE to toss the pigskin.
5.  Skills:  Blocking, blocking and more blocking.  Somewhere recently, Norbert posted the "anatomy of a running play", which describes how a running play unfolds.  To me, blocking from the entire team is crucial.  So I recruit and develop all players (except for QB which has no effect) for their blocking abilities as a key attribute.  This goes for WRs and TEs.  I have also converted a TE to WR a few times so I could increase the blocking ability of my WR corps.  No data, but it seemed to help.
6.  QB:  nothing real special here unless you want the guy to run.  Otherwise, its the same attributes that others think are key (GI, Tech, Str)  I personally value GI more than anything (whether its a WB or more conventional offense).  If you want the guy to run, put value on the RB attributes.  You can find some pretty good running QBs out there.
7.  FB:  I've had success running the FB (in both the WB and my conventional I-Form and Pro Set offenses).  I've just about abandoned it though due to what I view as inconsistent results.  I've had some really, really good FBs who could run and put up solid numbers.  With similar players I've also had poor results.  I have not figured out why.
8.  DEFENSE:  I would only count on putting up 15-20 points (max) a game against good teams.  One of the advantages of using a running WB full time is that you usually get a huge Time of Possession advantage.  This means that when you are playing a team with a high octane passing game....they are simply not going to get enough plays.  But even with this TOP advantage, you need to have a very solid defense.  I'll let others talk about defense, but i will say that this truly is a TEAM sport and you need to have a defense that compliments your offense.....an overall TEAM philosophy that you decide on, recruit for, and then utilize in your game play.
I was a RB in college, running the WB. Real Life was very similar to the description above. 3 things can happen when you pass the football, 2 of them are bad!
7/21/2017 10:32 PM
Posted by ibstrummin on 2/21/2012 9:45:00 PM (view original):
I have a spreadsheet that I will offer to anyone who wants it.  I did offer to the mass of  "rookies" to help them with the learning curve, but I have given it out ot many coaches now.  I am working on a new version, one with greater visual aides (conditional formating) and includes the GUESS DTS rating multipliers.  So those who are familiar with (and beta testing with me) the Roster Manager, the RB, DL, Backers and DBacks will include both attributes for the position...which is very helpfull if you need a FB to balance out the 6 RB's you have.  I will announce the release towards the end of Stagg Season 72....March.
Caesari, Samford_18, Beebster32, Starfinder77 are some of the coaches using the new version if you want to find out their opinion.
Couple weeks, as Stagg 72 is wrapping up!

Nice work caesari!
Still works ?? needs some visual work w/ color of some of the cells conflicting w/ neighboring cells....but it still works. I used it to help recruit season 89 Yost, my first time back in it since April 2013 !

Excited to be back!!!
7/24/2017 8:23 PM
Posted by ibstrummin on 7/24/2017 8:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ibstrummin on 2/21/2012 9:45:00 PM (view original):
I have a spreadsheet that I will offer to anyone who wants it.  I did offer to the mass of  "rookies" to help them with the learning curve, but I have given it out ot many coaches now.  I am working on a new version, one with greater visual aides (conditional formating) and includes the GUESS DTS rating multipliers.  So those who are familiar with (and beta testing with me) the Roster Manager, the RB, DL, Backers and DBacks will include both attributes for the position...which is very helpfull if you need a FB to balance out the 6 RB's you have.  I will announce the release towards the end of Stagg Season 72....March.
Caesari, Samford_18, Beebster32, Starfinder77 are some of the coaches using the new version if you want to find out their opinion.
Couple weeks, as Stagg 72 is wrapping up!

Nice work caesari!
Still works ?? needs some visual work w/ color of some of the cells conflicting w/ neighboring cells....but it still works. I used it to help recruit season 89 Yost, my first time back in it since April 2013 !

Excited to be back!!!
*"it still works"* the ?? were for a failed thumbs up emoji, not questioning my own thoughts...
7/24/2017 8:30 PM
I have not played GD 3.0 yet. I like the new interface (my Last season was April 2013). I have many new questions that I have not been able to answer reading this forum. I will narrow it down to just one, and see if I can't pick up where I left off with the others:

Is there a point of diminishing return for position practice time? If I remember correctly, it was 20 min per area in 2.0.
Thanks!
7/26/2017 9:14 PM
Posted by ibstrummin on 7/26/2017 9:14:00 PM (view original):
I have not played GD 3.0 yet. I like the new interface (my Last season was April 2013). I have many new questions that I have not been able to answer reading this forum. I will narrow it down to just one, and see if I can't pick up where I left off with the others:

Is there a point of diminishing return for position practice time? If I remember correctly, it was 20 min per area in 2.0.
Thanks!
I believe that still holds true.
7/27/2017 2:54 AM
means anyone you give less than 20 to gets worse?
8/1/2017 8:50 PM
No, it just doesn't improve quite as much as if you gave them 20.
8/2/2017 1:50 PM (edited)
8 maybe
9/3/2017 4:42 PM
Hey Im new, and wondering if there is a new recruiting tool for the 3.0 update?
10/10/2018 8:32 PM
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12 Next ▸
GD's Guide to the Game Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.