All Forums > SimLeague Baseball > SimLeague Baseball > FAQ: How Sparky Uses His Bullpen (2012 Update)
2/19/2013 12:08 AM
Posted by contrarian23 on 2/16/2013 9:07:00 PM (view original):
Bump for:
(a) relevance
(b) an update as to how Sparky chooses between 2 pitchers with the same setting (appears to be based on OAV#)
(c) to thank sincerely the kind soul who deemed it necessary to negative-rate all of my recent posts.  So clever of you.  Your generosity, maturity, and contributions to the site are an inspiration to all of us. 
(b) has always appeared to me to be OAV, not OAV#
3/7/2013 6:10 AM
8/4/2015 10:35 AM
bump.... I've seen too many complaints recently about Sparky's use of the mop up.

If your mop up pitcher was brought into the game in a situation that you do not believe warranted it, it is ALWAYS because no other option was available to him at the time.

Specifically, it is very likely that one of the following was true:
-- Your other pitchers were fatigued below their autorest (this is most often the case...and when you look AFTER the game, the pitcher you think should have been used may now be at 100%, but before the game - which of course you can no longer see - he was at 94, and you set his autorest to 95)  
-- Your other rested pitchers were set to come in later in the game (if you set "inning available" = 7 and it's the 6th inning, then you have effectively told Sparky to use the mop up rather than this pitcher)
-- Your other rested pitchers were already used in the game (surprisingly common....user whines "why didn't Sparky use Eckersley" and what do you know, Eckersley was already used earlier in the game)
-- Your pitcher was ejected (yup, it happens)
-- Your pitcher was pinch hit for 
-- Your pitcher reached his pitch count
-- You just brought up the pitcher from AAA or from the waiver wire or via trade and forgot to check his relief box
-- Etc, etc, etc.

The point is, there is always a reason, based on YOUR settings.  It's not a glitch.

9/12/2015 4:46 PM
Thanks for the bump. I needed to read this.
of 4
All Forums > SimLeague Baseball > SimLeague Baseball > FAQ: How Sparky Uses His Bullpen (2012 Update)

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.