FAQ: How Sparky Uses His Bullpen (2012 Update) Topic

crimson, I believe that all those settings do is influence how the WIS engine sets your recommended pitch counts. If the default value for closer usage is 35%, then WIS assumes that the closer will be used in roughly 1/3 of your games...this is how they figure out what pitch count to recommend for your closer. I do not believe those settings influence, for example, how often Sparky uses any particular pitcher.

Since I always manually set my own pitch counts anyway, I have never bothered to change those settings.

If you have a different understanding, can you post how you think it works?

3/15/2016 4:39 AM
Posted by contrarian23 on 3/15/2016 4:39:00 AM (view original):
crimson, I believe that all those settings do is influence how the WIS engine sets your recommended pitch counts. If the default value for closer usage is 35%, then WIS assumes that the closer will be used in roughly 1/3 of your games...this is how they figure out what pitch count to recommend for your closer. I do not believe those settings influence, for example, how often Sparky uses any particular pitcher.

Since I always manually set my own pitch counts anyway, I have never bothered to change those settings.

If you have a different understanding, can you post how you think it works?

I was a little vague and unspecific. That's my understanding of the section you mention as well. To echo your point, my main point was about the 'Default Autorest values' section. Many don't make adjustments and expect pitchers to enter a game well below these preset values.
3/15/2016 9:06 AM
I'm going to post a support ticket, and box score here as contrarian requested. This is a case of 'sparky' using the MOP when he shouldn't have as confirmed in the support ticket.

In the 9th inning of this game. Clay Bryant who is a set as MOP was brought in to pitch in the 9th inning with the lead even though the 'use mop up only when losing' WAS checked and the 'use closer only in save situation' WAS NOT checked.

Link to box score
https://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=27303295&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

Here is the support ticket I submitted and the response:
10/2/2016 4:10 AM combalt
Please see the 9th inning of this game. Clay Bryant who is a set as MOP was brough in to pitch in the 9th inning even though the 'use mop up only when losing' IS checked and the 'use closer only in save situation' is NOT checked.

Seems like Dizzy Dean should have come in to pitch in the 9th inning there based on my settings.

Thoughts? Explanations?

Thanks
10/3/2016 10:06 AM Customer Support
Hi Com,

We will review this to see why the Sim brought in a mopup when you had the lead instead of your closer.

Thanks.
10/10/2016 2:53 PM Customer Support
For this game, the only option the manager had (due to pitcher roles and auto rest settings) was to bring in a Mopup pitcher or closer.

Currently, the "Use Closer in Save Situations Only" setting doesn't focus on the non-save situation if ahead by more than 4 runs but more of the "tie game" situation (i.e. tied 4-4 in 9th). This is a good example for it to be a bit more than that.

We will investigating this logic further and most likely make an adjustment.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
10/13/2016 4:20 AM combalt
Thanks for the response.

Are you guys ok if I post our exchange in the forum so others are aware of the issue in one of the appropriate threads in the forum?

Marty
10/14/2016 9:36 AM Customer Support
Sure. Thanks!

10/22/2016 2:35 AM (edited)
1) is there any actual reason so many posts here have low ratings? This seems quite useful to me.

2) anyone have any actual success with RHS/LHS? If sparky considers matchups in choosing the next pitcher this role isn't especially necessary, is it? Every time I've tried pitchers in this role they hardly ever get used.
4/19/2017 4:17 PM
Posted by doctorcc on 4/19/2017 4:17:00 PM (view original):
1) is there any actual reason so many posts here have low ratings? This seems quite useful to me.

2) anyone have any actual success with RHS/LHS? If sparky considers matchups in choosing the next pitcher this role isn't especially necessary, is it? Every time I've tried pitchers in this role they hardly ever get used.
1) A lot of people will troll and will downvote good posts for no real reason. It's part of why I set my threshold to -5 -- I see all posts no matter how bad the "rating" is.

2) RHS/LHS are more of a way to use the 25-35 IP pitchers that can't really be used for a more challenging role than anything else. I also notice they rarely get into a game. I never use them unless, as mentioned, I have a reason to get one of these low-inning pitchers and need to leverage them as a setup-type RP -- which is extremely rare.
4/19/2017 6:34 PM
Posted by crimsonblue on 3/15/2016 1:11:00 AM (view original):
Also on the 'team center' page, there is a tiny thing called 'edit user settings' Where you can construct your usage ratios. My experience here is that 90% of the people here have never ever adjusted this.
Wow, all the years here and I never noticed that little button for edit user settings.

What are the percentage options for starters about though? It gives 1/rotation which is whatever the number of rotation turns is, obviously, which I assume nearly all of us use. But then it also has options that go from 5% to 95% for starters. What would this be for? Especially since these settings are for multiple teams and if one sets it to 5% you would need 20 starters to cover games for you team then, no? What am I misunderstanding?

Anyway, the option to give recommended hierarchies when AAA are called up is a great option for those of us with busy schedules. It may be annoying sometimes, but at least you don't have to redo all the hierarchies if you call up a couple of players, nor at the start of an OL league if you replace all your ca. 200K scrubs (there are few actual $200,000 players now I have noticed) with your AAA.

thanks crimsonblue, for pointing that out.
4/19/2017 6:48 PM
Posted by italyprof on 4/19/2017 6:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by crimsonblue on 3/15/2016 1:11:00 AM (view original):
Also on the 'team center' page, there is a tiny thing called 'edit user settings' Where you can construct your usage ratios. My experience here is that 90% of the people here have never ever adjusted this.
Wow, all the years here and I never noticed that little button for edit user settings.

What are the percentage options for starters about though? It gives 1/rotation which is whatever the number of rotation turns is, obviously, which I assume nearly all of us use. But then it also has options that go from 5% to 95% for starters. What would this be for? Especially since these settings are for multiple teams and if one sets it to 5% you would need 20 starters to cover games for you team then, no? What am I misunderstanding?

Anyway, the option to give recommended hierarchies when AAA are called up is a great option for those of us with busy schedules. It may be annoying sometimes, but at least you don't have to redo all the hierarchies if you call up a couple of players, nor at the start of an OL league if you replace all your ca. 200K scrubs (there are few actual $200,000 players now I have noticed) with your AAA.

thanks crimsonblue, for pointing that out.
Percentages are intended for relievers. It appears in the starters to let you hardcode percentages because... well, being that silly isn't their problem. (More likely: lazy coding)

User settings have only been around for a couple of years. They're kinda obscure, yeah.
4/20/2017 12:26 AM
The user settings have been around since at least 2007 when I first got into SLB. They really aren't new. The Expected Usage Patterns for Pitchers are, like it says right there on the screen, used in recommendations. Their only purpose is to give you those default/recommended pitch counts in the pitcher Advanced Settings window.
4/20/2017 9:58 AM
Posted by skunk206 on 4/20/2017 9:58:00 AM (view original):
The user settings have been around since at least 2007 when I first got into SLB. They really aren't new. The Expected Usage Patterns for Pitchers are, like it says right there on the screen, used in recommendations. Their only purpose is to give you those default/recommended pitch counts in the pitcher Advanced Settings window.
I've been here for much longer than that, but... wow, yeah, I guess time really does fly, lol.
4/20/2017 10:33 AM
What exactly counts as a 'save situation' to sparky? Say I'm up by 2 or 3 in the 7th, and have three players set as 'Closer A' (and otherwise available) - will it bring them in sequentially, or is this not a save situation?
5/7/2017 8:11 PM
I'm honestly ****** and confused why sparky took out Marichal here. 115 TPC. 1 pull rating.

https://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=28664393&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10
5/30/2017 1:45 AM
Even at a 1 pull setting, if a starting pitcher blows a lead in an inning with relievers available, he will be pulled. This was done in the 7th inning, so you must have had at least one reliever set as available in the 7th or earlier. Marichal only stays in the game if reliever availability is 8th or later.
5/30/2017 9:54 AM
Posted by skunk206 on 5/30/2017 9:54:00 AM (view original):
Even at a 1 pull setting, if a starting pitcher blows a lead in an inning with relievers available, he will be pulled. This was done in the 7th inning, so you must have had at least one reliever set as available in the 7th or earlier. Marichal only stays in the game if reliever availability is 8th or later.
Well that's annoying considering that was his 3rd hit given up, and now my bullpen is gone. I need a 0 pull rating. Cuz the point of this team is for every pitcher to throw 115-120 pitches, go 8-9 every game.
5/30/2017 10:35 AM
Well **** me, it happened again to the same team. Should I send in a ticket?

https://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=28668075&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10
5/30/2017 8:31 PM
2020 bump...still the most misunderstood facet of the game in my opinion
10/13/2020 6:04 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
FAQ: How Sparky Uses His Bullpen (2012 Update) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.