2 things I hate with recruiting Topic

Posted by isack24 on 3/4/2012 11:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Iguana1 on 3/4/2012 1:10:00 PM (view original):
I'm the culprit that stooped down for barretchap's recruit.

I often grab a lower ranked recruit to cover in case of Early Entry.  I've lost a combined 7 frontcourt players early the past 3 seasons.  Last season I ended up with two of my five man rotation up front being filler guys like this.  One of the two graduated and the other is a senior, so it's time to bring another one in. 

I pegged this guy to end up at least 750, most likely 770, and depending on the cap on those high-highs, possibly 800  (ATH in mid 90's, REB over 70, DEF over 80, LP of 90, B- FT shooter, and BH & PAS both around 50).   Even though he is rated in the 180's at PF, my grading had him ranked much closer to 50th.

I also signed the #1 PF.   I'd estimate the chances that this low-ranked guy sees more playing time over the course of his career than the #1 (before he bolts Early Entry), at better than 50/50.
Whoa.  Are we talking about in Allen?

I wouldn't usually say anything, but I've got a serious problem with this given that your alternate ID happens to be in the same conference as barret,

That's a pretty blatant conflict of interest, in my opinion, and frankly, I don't think you should be recruiting the same geographic area with both your IDs, as it creates an appearance of impropriety.

Sorry, Iguana, but I think that's just plain wrong.
Agreed. Very uncool in my opinion. 
3/5/2012 2:07 AM
Posted by professor17 on 3/4/2012 9:40:00 AM (view original):
With regards to your 2nd point, real life is littered with examples of lower rated (or non-rated) recruits that ended up in the NBA, or clearly could have contributed at high level D1, if only those high level teams had taken a closer look. Jeremy Lin, for a very recent example.

Or how about Sherman Douglas, back in the mid-1980's at Syracuse (for those old enough to remember). The guy had one scholarship offer from a D1 program... Old Dominion. Syracuse thought they had Boo Harvey locked up as a PG recruit, but that fell through due to academic concerns. So what did Syracuse do? They effectively poached Douglas from ODU at the very last minute, and the guy ended up the NCAA's all-time assist leader when he graduated, and played many years in the NBA. Obviously, an awful lot of high-level D1 programs missed on Douglas, but they certainly could have used him, if they had known.

It's just like the situation you've described. So yes, it does happen in real life. Looking for diamonds in the rough is part of the fun of the game, IMO.
I just had to comment on this for a couple reasons.  First, awesome Boo Harvey pull (his senior season at STJ was a one-man show).  Second, the General was a great college player and a pretty decent NBA one as well.  Those were the good old days of the Big East. 
3/5/2012 9:13 AM
whats iguana's alternate id? this kind of things happening is why I think alternate ids in the same world is a little stupid. 
3/5/2012 10:36 AM
My understanding is that Iguana = OW.

But I could be wrong.  If I am, I'm sorry for the accusation.
3/5/2012 11:11 AM
kinda messed up to say if you aren't sure
3/5/2012 6:56 PM
Posted by rednation58 on 3/5/2012 6:56:00 PM (view original):
kinda messed up to say if you aren't sure

Yeah, because that's the part that's messed up.

Anyway, I'm sure.  I'm more hoping I'm wrong because I happen to be in the same conference, and I don't really want to think that happened.  That's a pretty egregious violation of an alt ID, in my opinion. 

3/5/2012 8:17 PM
Alt IDs should ONLY be used in the same world if they are at different levels, in different geographical regions. There's no way of enforcing this, but to avoid all suspicion, this should be the way you do it.

3/5/2012 8:20 PM
4 Comments:
In Allen, B range or lower schools even in big 6 conferences often need to try a shotgun approach, as their 3,4 and 5 stars will often get poached away by a loaded A range school from a high tier conf. as signings approach.

Anyone who has lost a player early to ees or built up a D1 D range school from scratch recognizes the value of juniors and seniors who end their career rated in the mid 700s but started ranked 100 or worse at their position.

Without factoring in potential, SIM rankings are basically crap.

I have never been able to comprehend why anyone would ever need or want a second ID in the same world unless they are exploiting the system.  I run 3 or 4 different worlds and just find it more fun to have each one at a different time of the season all the time (if that made any sense). That being said, I don't exactly know who has multiple IDs and who doesn't and I certainly wouldn't accuse anyone of anything unless I was pretty sure of it.
3/5/2012 11:00 PM
Barretchap, I raised pretty much the same points you did some time ago on this board.  The discussion here convinced me that (a) It's all part of the game of dog-eat-dog and (b) there are plenty of other good recruits out there.

I would disagree mildly with (b) since some recruits definitely are much better than others, but there's no denying that as D2 coaches we have to encroach on D1 players to excel.  When we do, we risk spending money on the same players that D1 schools might find attractive.  That's just how it is.  If I spot a D2 player with good potentials I want, I wouldn't hesitate to push a D3 school off of him.  So it works both ways.

There are a number of flaws in the HD game.  We see complaints about D1 balance here frequently, and the subject of using alternate IDs is even discouraged in the players' guide.  But unless HD tracks IP addresses (and allows for dormitories, apartment buildings and offices) how do you catch that kind of thing?

3/5/2012 11:27 PM
You can report it, and they will look into IP addresses. They don't check actively, though, so you have to have grounds for them to look.
3/5/2012 11:31 PM
Posted by nbstowman on 3/5/2012 11:00:00 PM (view original):
4 Comments:
In Allen, B range or lower schools even in big 6 conferences often need to try a shotgun approach, as their 3,4 and 5 stars will often get poached away by a loaded A range school from a high tier conf. as signings approach.

Anyone who has lost a player early to ees or built up a D1 D range school from scratch recognizes the value of juniors and seniors who end their career rated in the mid 700s but started ranked 100 or worse at their position.

Without factoring in potential, SIM rankings are basically crap.

I have never been able to comprehend why anyone would ever need or want a second ID in the same world unless they are exploiting the system.  I run 3 or 4 different worlds and just find it more fun to have each one at a different time of the season all the time (if that made any sense). That being said, I don't exactly know who has multiple IDs and who doesn't and I certainly wouldn't accuse anyone of anything unless I was pretty sure of it.
It's not like I called the NYT and said he's a terrorist.  Worst-case scenario, Iguana comes on, says he's not Oldwarrior, I apologize, and a few people think less of me while no one else cares.

That said, I'm as sure as I can be without actually knowing him, but I guess without knowing him, I can't be "sure."

And so I was trying to open the door for Iguana to prove me wrong, especially since I'm in that conference with Oldwarrior and barret, and respect OW as a coach.  

As for alt IDs, I think it's pretty clear that there are reasons for wanting a second ID in the same world that don't include collusion.  I just don't think you should be stealing recruits from someone in one conference with an alt ID in a second conference, especially not when it's an elite Big 6 school coming down and taking a recruit from a D2 team.  That's just one of the consequences of having an alt; you have to avoid recruits you otherwise would go after.
3/6/2012 12:09 AM
◂ Prev 12
2 things I hate with recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.