Random Thread (title was chanaged upon request) Topic

Posted by emy1013 on 7/21/2012 12:12:00 AM (view original):
Add irapost to the list also.
Irapost really ruined Catawba. The team when I left it was stacked, capable of playing low end D1. 
8/31/2012 4:10 PM
Posted by tianyi7886 on 8/31/2012 4:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 7/21/2012 12:12:00 AM (view original):
Add irapost to the list also.
Irapost really ruined Catawba. The team when I left it was stacked, capable of playing low end D1. 
He ruins every team he goes to Tianyi.  He admitted that he's a terrible recruiter which is why he jumps from team to team using other people's players.  Once they graduate and it's just his guys there, the team is so bad that he runs to the next best team available.  He's the very definition of an HD parasite.  It's beyond pathetic and Seble really needs to put some kind of penalty in place to stop people from doing that.  He needs to put a severe hit on a coach's reputation for team hopping like that, so someone can't jump from team to team to team, wrecking each and every one as they go.

What people fail to realize is that it doesn't just affect the team he's screwed up, it also affects the rest of the teams in that conference.  Now we have to play some horrible ghost ship Sim team either once or twice a season (which he's destroyed so badly that no one would want to touch that team for several seasons, unless they're into a total rebuild), which in turn affects OUR RPI/SOS, and not for the good, you can believe that.  For a borderline NT team, playing that debacle of a team that he has destroyed could cost them a NT bid which actually hurts them in REAL LIFE dollars.
8/31/2012 4:49 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/14/2012 7:23:00 PM (view original):
Man up.  If that hurts your feelings you have no right being on the internet.  You are a job-jumper, and if I were in that conference I'd hate to see a coach like Reinsel replaced by you myself.  It looks like the poster isn't in the conference but does have a history with Reinsel.  If you want to be respected in this game build your own program and stop riding other coaches' coattails.
I couldn't possibly disagree more.  There's no reason to make those kinds of comments. 
9/18/2012 8:54 AM
Got to give respect where it's due.  Fredpaull just left Queens for SMU after 5 full seasons:
Season Coach Overall
W-L
Home
W-L
Road
W-L
Neutral
W-L
Conf
W-L
Rank RPI Prestige Notes
56 fredpaull 21-8 11-3 9-3 1-2 14-2   31 B+ NT At-large Bid
NT (1st Round)
55 fredpaull 17-14 7-6 7-7 3-1 9-7   95 B+ PI (1st Round)
54 fredpaull 20-10 8-4 9-5 3-1 12-4   42 A CT Champion
NT (1st Round)
53 fredpaull 24-8 8-5 11-2 5-1 12-4 22 28 A+ CT Champion
NT (Sweet 16)
52 fredpaull 30-2 15-0 11-0 4-2 16-0 4 7 A+ Conf Champion
NT At-large Bid
NT (Elite 8)
51 reinsel 34-1 13-0 12-1 9-0 16-0 1 1 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
National Champion
50 reinsel 29-3 11-0 13-2 5-1 15-1 6 4 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
NT (Sweet 16)
49 reinsel 18-13 8-6 8-5 2-2 7-9   34 A NT At-large Bid
NT (2nd Round)
48 reinsel 33-2 11-1 14-0 8-1 16-0 2 2 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
NT (Championship Game)
47 reinsel 29-3 11-2 13-0 5-1 15-1 5 9 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
NT (Sweet 16)

Not an altogether great run and most of the roster is upper classmen so if someone doesn't pick them up they'll collapse, but much better than the 'worse than a sim coach' that I believed he was at New York Tech and Arkansas Tech.  Still the success wasn't what bothered me.  It was the way he intimidated others and I found him to act like a jerk towards others.  At least in our world, I have not found evidence of any of this in the last 6 months or so.  For as much as I ragged on him, I feel compelled to point out positives when they come about.  It appears that he's learned his lesson.  Me, I probably have not learned anything as I continue to call out people I feel are blatantly wrong and have a lot of Larry David-esque encounters.  The only strange thing (and this isn't a knock on fred because this is an engine issue not a fred issue) is that he got the SMU job over stuarjd.  Who should win the job between Fred's Queens resume and stuarjd's Eckerd resume?
Season Coach Overall
W-L
Home
W-L
Road
W-L
Neutral
W-L
Conf
W-L
Rank RPI Prestige Notes
56 steuarjd 23-9 7-6 11-2 5-1 12-4 24 42 B+ CT Champion
NT (Sweet 16)
55 steuarjd 15-14 7-6 8-7 0-1 7-9   68 B PI (2nd Round)
54 steuarjd 17-11 9-2 8-7 0-2 12-4   55 B+ NT At-large Bid
NT (1st Round)
53 steuarjd 21-9 8-3 10-5 3-1 14-2   44 B+ CT Champion
NT (1st Round)
52 steuarjd 22-8 10-2 10-4 2-2 13-3   35 B+ Conf Champion
NT At-large Bid
NT (2nd Round)
51 steuarjd 13-15 6-6 6-8 1-1 9-7   97 B-  
50 steuarjd 22-6 10-3 12-1 0-2 13-3   58 B Conf Champion
NT At-large Bid
NT (1st Round)
49 steuarjd 15-13 6-6 8-6 1-1 9-7   108 C+  
48 steuarjd 20-9 10-3 9-4 1-2 11-5   68 B- NT At-large Bid
NT (1st Round)
47 steuarjd 12-15 7-7 5-7 0-1 8-8   156 C  
46 steuarjd 20-9 10-3 8-5 2-1 10-6   107 C-  
45 steuarjd 15-12 8-4 7-7 0-1 8-8   134 C  
44 steuarjd 13-15 10-3 2-11 1-1 8-8   177 C-
11/15/2012 11:06 AM
The settings he left for the players on the CSU Bakersfield team lead me to believe that he intentionally set them to make the team as horrible as possible after he left.
11/15/2012 9:37 PM
I forgot who sitemailed me this, but there's a youtube profile called fredpaull.  Doubt it's the same guy, but a man can dream.  
11/15/2012 10:25 PM
Posted by ryrun on 8/30/2012 12:40:00 AM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 8/29/2012 11:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ryrun on 8/29/2012 10:31:00 PM (view original):
I just took over CSU, Bakersfield after he left (hadn't paid much attention to the previous coach, obviously).  Thankfully he was only there for one season so he couldn't run it into the ground.  He recruited 4 jr's last season, who shockingly aren't totally useless, but just thought that was very strange.

I do get to see the leftovers of some awful practice/player/team plans and an odd depth chart, though.  So now it sort of makes sense as to how he runs teams into the ground.
Yes Ryrun, some details would be very interesting I think.
I have a mild headache after looking through it all.  I wish there was just a reset all kind of button I could hit that would zero out all the practice minutes/depth chart slots/distro/etc.

The practice plan is just a mess.  I'm going to have to go through every player and adjust every category, basically.  To start with, he's practicing 25 min in Flex and 30 min in M2M, so there's some overkill there, but it could be defendable I guess, though it's way more than I ever practice for sets (and more than I've heard of anyone on the forums practicing due to diminishing returns).  But the player minutes are all over the place.  Some highlights:

- Every player has at least 8 min in study hall (even after the final grades).  Most GPA's are over 3.5.  Seniors are still getting 8+ minutes.
- There's a soph PG with 7 min in REB and and 8 in LP, even though 1) he's a PG and 2) those are already at low potential and 3) he has average potential left in ATH/SPD/BH/P.  Passing is getting 4 min.
- Same with another PG - he has an LP of 8 with low potential and then high potential left in BH/P, but he threw 8 min of practice time into LP.  What?
- Numerous players with only 4-6 practice minutes in footwork, even those with average/high potential left in DEF/SB.
- There is a C that is getting 6 minutes of BH minutes to try and improve his rating of 3 (with low potential, too, as if it matters).
- Actually, as I take an overall look at it, every single category is getting at least 4 minutes of practice time.  All the guards still practice REB/LP (most with single digit ratings and low potential), all the bigs practice PER/BH.

Then the distro numbers just have no rhyme or reason to them - they're all over the map.  Then there's a PG with low PER set at a +2 3pt frequency (the only player set to a +2, even though he has the lowest PER of all the guards), most of the bigs are set to a 0 3pt (but not all, so ?).  I don't know if he was jacking with this for his last game or what, but I can't think of any scenario where it'd make sense.

Depth chart goes 4-deep for all positions, but I don't know if he went that deep because he thinks he has to or what.  A PG is listed as the 4th option for PF (with his 13 REB).

The only silver lining to this team is that I get to bring in 5 of my own players for next season (probably 6 after I most likely cut Harrison) and then 5 more the season after, so at least he didn't saddle me with terrible young players for a few seasons.

This brings me to a question though - when someone jacks with the practice settings/distro/etc and then leaves, does Simmy reset those?  Or will they stay for all returning players?  Part of me thinks they'd stay for all returning players since it doesn't reset when a human coach takes over, but I've never paid enough attention to it to notice.  But even if you set up a good distro and then lose a bunch of players, do the old values stay for the returning players and then the new players are set to 0?  So, say you bring in a one player class and give him a 1 distro his freshman year, then you leave - by his senior year, is he at a 1 while everyone else (simmy recruits) is at 0?  Just something looking through this made me curious about.
Interesting thread. I also set my depth chart 4 deep at all positions (although I would not have a PG playing PF). I figure the 4th guy probably rarely comes in, but if it gets to that point I'd rather pick who it is as opposed to the SIM engine.
11/15/2012 10:57 PM
It's possible that he jacks up the practice plans as he's out the door so the incoming coach can't steal his secrets? 

Yep, I got that out without laughing. 
11/16/2012 7:46 AM
ryrun - i think that if a sim ai coaches for a single season, they wipe all the settings and set how the sim would. but when a human follows a human, i think you get the existing settings.

actually i pretty much agree with what you are saying - i didnt think he was as terrible of a recruiter, as he was a combo terrible recruiter/practice planner. his freshman always struck me as mediocreish, but as upperclassmen, its like wtf? 
11/16/2012 10:35 AM
Yea, I know the settings remain for a human to human switch, I just didn't know if sim ai would reset the human settings for human to simmy.  About the only way to know would be to take over a team that has been vacant for a season or two, then go in and see if the human recruited players have a different practice plan or something.

But I just don't care enough to do that.
11/16/2012 1:28 PM
Posted by gillispie on 11/16/2012 10:35:00 AM (view original):
ryrun - i think that if a sim ai coaches for a single season, they wipe all the settings and set how the sim would. but when a human follows a human, i think you get the existing settings.

actually i pretty much agree with what you are saying - i didnt think he was as terrible of a recruiter, as he was a combo terrible recruiter/practice planner. his freshman always struck me as mediocreish, but as upperclassmen, its like wtf? 
You get the existing settings, including if he changes them to something ridiculous right before he leaves, which is probably the case here. 

I followed Lostmyth one time and he had zeroed out all of his settings before he moved on, presumably so no one could glean any meaningful info on how he set things up.
11/16/2012 2:55 PM
Posted by gillispie on 11/16/2012 10:35:00 AM (view original):

I think the issue is that his strategy is all about short term success without concern for anything outside the first 2 or so seasons.  So, what I think he does, by looking at a couple of his classes, is not buy FSS so that he can have those funds to win battles for jucos/transfers.  For instance, a few seasons ago his Queens team (in NYC) took a pf from New Mexico with a reb rating in the 20s with low potential.  There must have been several better players nearby, but I don't think cared.  He probably just looks at start values for frosh and picks based off that and spends the rest of his budget on jucos/transfers.  To his credit though, he did leave a good guard at Queens when he left this time.
11/16/2012 5:11 PM
What are all of his ID's?  I was thinking about this because I just moved to D2 in Wooden and saw in the news tab that a couple familiar ID's also took new jobs.  Irapost took army and coachgunnar took bloomfield.  Those two schools are only 51 miles away from each other.  I payed some attention but not a whole lot to the multiple teams thread.  As I remember the argument was about whether people should be penalized by the rule who had had teams within 1000 miles since before the rule even existed.  This obviously isn't the case here because with the amount of movement he does none of his teams would have been the same since before the rule existed.  Anyway, between the 3 id's (assuming they are all connected) it looks like he is in violation with 4 teams:

Allen-coachgunnar-Cameron (Lawton, OK), fredpaull-Centenary (Shreveport, LA)

Distance between Cameron and Centenary-381 miles

Crum-fredpaull-SMU (Dallas, TX)

Iba-irapost-Iona (New Rochelle, NY)

Naismith-irapost-Queens (Flushing, NY)

Rupp-coachgunnar-Holy Family (Philadelphia, PA), irapost-Coppin St. (Baltimore, MD), fredpaull-Oral Roberts (Tulsa, OK)

Distance between Holy Family and Coppin St.-97 miles

Distance between Holy Family and Oral Roberts-1,279 miles

Distance between Coppin St. and Oral Roberts-1,214 miles

Smith-irapost-Cornell (Ithaca, NY), fredpaull-Valparaiso (Valparaiso, IN)

Distance between Cornell and Valparaiso-633 miles

Wooden-coachgunnar-Bloomfield (Bloomfield, NJ), irapost-Army (West Point, NY)

Distance between Bloomfield and Army-51 miles

Also, here's a link to irapost commenting on the multiple teams scenario, so, he is at least aware of the rule.  The real question though is it against fair play guidelines if it is obvious that the coach isn't using FSS? (sorry it'd been over 6 months since my last crack on fredpaull.  Was starting to get that itch).

6/23/2013 3:35 PM
Somebody had told me fredpaull was also abelemons, who definitely violated the 1,000 in Allen when he was coaching Wisconsin, Parkside. 

Anyways, what I've taken from this thread (see page 3) and fredpaull's Allen resume is that hogstench is a really nice guy. 
6/23/2013 4:19 PM
fred, what do you care what the other coaches say about you in chat? you'll be gone in a season or two anyway.
6/25/2013 9:01 AM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14 Next ▸
Random Thread (title was chanaged upon request) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.