Obama: Worst President Ever? Topic

8/19/2015 9:44 PM
8/19/2015 9:46 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by moy23 on 8/20/2015 8:14:00 AM (view original):
I could speculate that we'd be in a better place had we let them go under.... as well as our banks.

For example - Iceland let its 3 largest banks default and now they are doing better than those countries that 'bailed out' their banks. 3.2% unemployment predicted to get to 2%. 3% GDP growth over the last year. Debt to GDP has gone from 97% to 86% and is predicted to be at 60% by 2018. Real wages increased 5.5% over the last 12 months.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9311_Icelandic_financial_crisis

Many 'experts' think the Icelandic model is the model for the future of Greece and other European Countries that are struggling.
Iceland has currency independence. Greece doesn't. Greece's problems won't be solved until it gets off the Euro.

That's really the key to Iceland's recovery, they were able to collapse their own currency.

8/20/2015 12:08 PM
From the Washington Post:

"Iceland's recovery has become a myth wrapped in a legend inside a legend. It let its banks fail, slashed household debt, let its currency collapse, put capital controls in place—and now it's doing better than those countries that did austerity! In reality, Iceland let its banks fail for foreigners, wrote down household debt only after their laws had made it worse, had no choice but to watch the krona plummet, but, at the same time, tried to keep it from plunging too far by limiting how much money people could take out of the country . Oh, and it did more austerity than any country not named Greece. The truth is a more complicated place.

The lesson is that in a crisis—don't forget those three words—you can get a lot of things wrong and still be okay as long as you default and devalue. You can do a lot of austerity and make life impossible for borrowers and prevent people from investing in your country for years longer than you probably should have. You just have to get the big question right—what currency should I use?—and you'll have a decent enough recovery. The right monetary policy, in other words, can cover up a lot of mistakes."
8/20/2015 12:12 PM
Posted by moy23 on 8/20/2015 1:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/20/2015 12:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 8/20/2015 8:14:00 AM (view original):
I could speculate that we'd be in a better place had we let them go under.... as well as our banks.

For example - Iceland let its 3 largest banks default and now they are doing better than those countries that 'bailed out' their banks. 3.2% unemployment predicted to get to 2%. 3% GDP growth over the last year. Debt to GDP has gone from 97% to 86% and is predicted to be at 60% by 2018. Real wages increased 5.5% over the last 12 months.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9311_Icelandic_financial_crisis

Many 'experts' think the Icelandic model is the model for the future of Greece and other European Countries that are struggling.
Iceland has currency independence. Greece doesn't. Greece's problems won't be solved until it gets off the Euro.

That's really the key to Iceland's recovery, they were able to collapse their own currency.

You've missed the point. I am providing the FACTS that Iceland let is banks fail which has led to them doing better than those countries that 'bailed out' their banks. 3.2% unemployment predicted to get to 2%. 3% GDP growth over the last year. Debt to GDP has gone from 97% to 86% and is predicted to be at 60% by 2018. Real wages increased 5.5% over the last 12 months. These are indisputable FACTS in which I am using to SPECULATE, there's that word again, that bailing out the auto industry and even the banks MAY HAVE been unnecessary to save the economy. Whereas we are having a stagnant growth economy, Iceland is growing at a solid pace. It's speculation much like the second half of the article you said I failed to post. I failed to post it because it's SPECULATION.... The FACTS are the auto industry bailout lost taxpayers $11 billion and now those same companies are going to build cars overseas and import them here (which means more job loss). Obama was bragging about its success, no?

And BTW America has its own currency much like Iceland.
____
I am providing the FACTS that Iceland let is banks fail which has led to them doing better than those countries that 'bailed out' their banks. 

Well, you're showing that they both of those things happened. It doesn't prove causation. The WAPO piece I linked talks about that. The biggest factor in Iceland's recovery wasn't allowing banks to fail or austerity, if anything, those slowed the recovery down. But they were able to crash their currency 60%, which is the reason they recovered.

And BTW America has its own currency much like Iceland.

Yes, which is largely why we also recovered from the recession.
8/20/2015 1:54 PM
I never said anything about the second half of the article.

I'm just responding to your misunderstanding of Iceland's recovery.
8/20/2015 2:06 PM
And what jobs are you talking about?
8/20/2015 2:06 PM
Also, the auto bailout can still be considered a success even if it cost taxpayers money. The goal wasn't profit. It was economic stability.
8/20/2015 2:07 PM
◂ Prev 1...369|370|371|372|373...462 Next ▸
Obama: Worst President Ever? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.