World Rankings- Updated Topic

Posted by dmurphy104 on 4/20/2012 4:08:00 PM (view original):

These rankings arent really a measurement of how the current owners like the world. If that were the intent, I could just look at turnover. But I think they do a decent job at capturing competitiveness and overall quality. It's clear that there are a bunch of leagues with a mix of dudes that like being in a league together with very low turnover--and it doesnt matter if its real competitive. And that's cool.

I agree with this completely with your statement. It would be interesting to see which worlds have the highest average tenure with say a cap of 10 seasons so that a 22 season doesn't have a silly advantage over a 21 season world.

4/20/2012 6:56 PM
It still doesn't make sense to me why you aren't looking at some variety of deviations as opposed to averages.
4/20/2012 7:44 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/19/2012 3:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 4/19/2012 3:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/19/2012 2:29:00 PM (view original):
Sounds like somebody is in a world or three that didn't do so well.
Actually, I don't really care.  I play in the worlds where I know a lot of people.  However, I first hand saw dmurph ruin franchises and disapprove of people paying attention to what he has to say about HBD because he is a 'tard owner.  That is all.
Someone who doesn't really care just drops a "**** you" and moves on.   You haven't been able to move on.   Hence, I think you care.  Deeply.
???
4/20/2012 7:58 PM
Posted by robusk on 4/20/2012 7:44:00 PM (view original):
It still doesn't make sense to me why you aren't looking at some variety of deviations as opposed to averages.
Because the averages are given to us on the team stats page. And the resulting rankings seem to accurately reflect my intentions.

My spreadsheet just has 1 tab where I inputted data from every world. I will probably relate tabs for each world to automatically bring in the data. At that time I could calculate anything that i want. But while you think I'm posing as an HBD expert, it's even a long time since I've taken advanced stats and quantitative analysis. So, please enlighten me as to what calculations you would like me to use as opposed to average ERA and plus/minus and why those stats would be more meaningful in measuring world quality.

4/20/2012 9:08 PM
Posted by dmurphy104 on 4/20/2012 9:08:00 PM (view original):
Because the averages are given to us on the team stats page. And the resulting rankings seem to accurately reflect my intentions.

My spreadsheet just has 1 tab where I inputted data from every world. I will probably relate tabs for each world to automatically bring in the data. At that time I could calculate anything that i want. But while you think I'm posing as an HBD expert, it's even a long time since I've taken advanced stats and quantitative analysis. So, please enlighten me as to what calculations you would like me to use as opposed to average ERA and plus/minus and why those stats would be more meaningful in measuring world quality.

Ah, so now it comes out. The resulting rankings seem to accurately reflect my intentions. You tweaked the formula until you achieved the results you were seeking. At least you admit it. 

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
4/21/2012 5:56 AM
Wow, you'd think that if someone volunteered their time to come up with something like this, people would thank him for the effort, even if they didn't like his formula. Then, you'd think the people who disagreed with the formula would actually suggest a formula - in the spirit of "hey what if you tried this - I think it might be more accurate", you know, as opposed to just proving they read the glossary of their statistics book. Those who can do, those who can't  try to make themselves look smart by ******** about what others did.
4/21/2012 7:54 AM
What I can't say ********?

4/21/2012 7:54 AM
Get your momma to turn off the profanity filter.
4/21/2012 7:56 AM
Cbriese. Let me make his clear. I didn't tweak the formula in order to rank my worlds or any other worlds in a particular manner. Remember these are my rankings, and so, I used criteria that I thought did a good job at measuring overall world quality. The resulting rankings seem to do a decent job at measuring what I believe to be important.

And every single opinion and suggestion is made with the intent of tweaking the formula to meet some agenda. If a tweak seems to more accurately measure world parity and overall quality then I will make it.
4/21/2012 8:22 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/20/2012 7:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/19/2012 3:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 4/19/2012 3:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/19/2012 2:29:00 PM (view original):
Sounds like somebody is in a world or three that didn't do so well.
Actually, I don't really care.  I play in the worlds where I know a lot of people.  However, I first hand saw dmurph ruin franchises and disapprove of people paying attention to what he has to say about HBD because he is a 'tard owner.  That is all.
Someone who doesn't really care just drops a "**** you" and moves on.   You haven't been able to move on.   Hence, I think you care.  Deeply.
???
The point is not to care about the rankings....  it is to give murph a hard time.
4/21/2012 8:45 PM
Posted by cbriese on 4/21/2012 5:56:00 AM (view original):

Ah, so now it comes out. The resulting rankings seem to accurately reflect my intentions. You tweaked the formula until you achieved the results you were seeking. At least you admit it. 

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Nailed it.
4/21/2012 8:46 PM

So, you'd have to paste the whole page and calculate...  probably ends up as a world a tab but even someone at your level could do this without a lot of effort.
4/21/2012 8:50 PM
It seems pretty easy to put someone down for their efforts, but I don't see anything  better coming from you.  Try doing the same thing, using your supposed better methods, and then you'll have a leg to stand on.
4/21/2012 8:51 PM
Posted by shobob on 4/21/2012 8:51:00 PM (view original):
It seems pretty easy to put someone down for their efforts, but I don't see anything  better coming from you.  Try doing the same thing, using your supposed better methods, and then you'll have a leg to stand on.
+1
4/21/2012 9:00 PM
Clearly you are missing the point.
4/21/2012 9:13 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...14 Next ▸
World Rankings- Updated Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.