Update: 4/18/12 (UPDATED) Topic

Posted by bhouska on 4/19/2012 2:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by norbert on 4/19/2012 1:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stingray002 on 4/19/2012 11:33:00 AM (view original):
How much did you reduce the chance of pick 6's?  The reason I ask is that I had 2 against me in the 1st half of my game today.
It was cut roughly about 20%, which is why I said it wasn't a perfect fix, but I didn't want to cut it down too much.  This is another area that will be updated more thoroughly with the engine update.  I really just wanted to pull down the numbers a little, since I won't be able to put out any updates before the engine update is worked on, so within one game it might be tough to notice the change, but overall there will be fewer.
Norbert, when deciding a pick-6, does the engine take into consideration things like the interceptor's SPD, ELU, ATH, etc and the offense's SPD, TKL, etc to see how far his return, or is it simply a 10% chance of every int being returned all the way?  I use 10% as a random example.
It factors those in, but it's in an indirect way which is hard to explain.  So it's not just a flat chance for everyone, but it definitely does not take the match ups especially at the team level into enough consideration.  This allows lesser teams and players to get pick 6s more than they really should which is a factor in the upsets.  This minor update reduced the chance a little which should help reduce the numbers for lesser teams, but probably not as harsh as it should. The problem was it would take a little more to work the differences out between the chances for lesser teams and teams that legitimately should be returning the interceptions, so I left that work for the engine update.  One of the goals of the engine update will be to use the team match ups, as well as the appropriate individual ratings, when determining play results.
4/19/2012 2:38 PM
Great, Norbert, that sounds good.

4/19/2012 2:47 PM
Posted by norbert on 4/19/2012 2:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bhouska on 4/19/2012 2:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by norbert on 4/19/2012 1:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stingray002 on 4/19/2012 11:33:00 AM (view original):
How much did you reduce the chance of pick 6's?  The reason I ask is that I had 2 against me in the 1st half of my game today.
It was cut roughly about 20%, which is why I said it wasn't a perfect fix, but I didn't want to cut it down too much.  This is another area that will be updated more thoroughly with the engine update.  I really just wanted to pull down the numbers a little, since I won't be able to put out any updates before the engine update is worked on, so within one game it might be tough to notice the change, but overall there will be fewer.
Norbert, when deciding a pick-6, does the engine take into consideration things like the interceptor's SPD, ELU, ATH, etc and the offense's SPD, TKL, etc to see how far his return, or is it simply a 10% chance of every int being returned all the way?  I use 10% as a random example.
It factors those in, but it's in an indirect way which is hard to explain.  So it's not just a flat chance for everyone, but it definitely does not take the match ups especially at the team level into enough consideration.  This allows lesser teams and players to get pick 6s more than they really should which is a factor in the upsets.  This minor update reduced the chance a little which should help reduce the numbers for lesser teams, but probably not as harsh as it should. The problem was it would take a little more to work the differences out between the chances for lesser teams and teams that legitimately should be returning the interceptions, so I left that work for the engine update.  One of the goals of the engine update will be to use the team match ups, as well as the appropriate individual ratings, when determining play results.
Are you saying that we should start practicing blocking and tackling for all players to help out with interceptions returns and special team returns?
4/19/2012 2:54 PM
Norbert in the past I have ask about this but really didn't get a good responce so here goes and I will ask you. What aspects goes in to wich players play special teams? In other words. Who is going to be on the special teams becides the returner that we set up to returne. Is it all OF for the returnes and all DF for the kick offs?
4/19/2012 3:26 PM
Posted by norbert on 4/16/2012 1:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emw13 on 4/16/2012 1:51:00 PM (view original):
If you rescind an action for a recruit, will there be a negative outcome from it?
No, it's just withdrawing the action before it actually gets processed.
I love this addition. There have been a few times over the years when I spent money on a guy inadvertantly and there was no way to take it back.
4/19/2012 4:10 PM
Fermor's question is one I've had for awhile now. Any info would be much appreciated.
4/19/2012 7:12 PM
Regarding the rushing percentages.  How would it work if your in the shotgun formation (no RB's) on rushing levels?  If I give a WR a 8% for example that would effect in all formations?  Would the 8% WR be like 100% in Shotgun formation if there are no other running options yet remain a true 8% while in pro set for example?
4/19/2012 9:15 PM
Posted by zod007 on 4/19/2012 9:15:00 PM (view original):
Regarding the rushing percentages.  How would it work if your in the shotgun formation (no RB's) on rushing levels?  If I give a WR a 8% for example that would effect in all formations?  Would the 8% WR be like 100% in Shotgun formation if there are no other running options yet remain a true 8% while in pro set for example?
Yes. I any one player has an 8% chance and no other players have any chance that player will get all of the carries (except when the QB scrambles of course).
4/20/2012 1:00 AM
What exactly does the "Running Back sub pattern" do? If I set it at 80-20 split what does that do? Been playing this game for about 6 months and have really never understood how this setting affects the game.

Thanks in advance.
4/20/2012 8:00 AM
Means RB #1 will be in for 80% of the plays and RB#2 will be in for 20% of the plays - before they are at their fatigue setting. If RB #1 comes out because he is fatigued - RB#2 becomes #1 and #3 becomes #2, until #1 gets back in the game then it changes back.
4/20/2012 12:03 PM
Posted by fermor332002 on 4/19/2012 3:26:00 PM (view original):
Norbert in the past I have ask about this but really didn't get a good responce so here goes and I will ask you. What aspects goes in to wich players play special teams? In other words. Who is going to be on the special teams becides the returner that we set up to returne. Is it all OF for the returnes and all DF for the kick offs?
It doesn't really put players on the field for special teams plays, other than the kicker and the return man.  It uses a team special teams rating which is just the average Special Teams IQ of all the players on the team, other than the individual ratings for the kicker and the return man that are used.  I think it looks at it at a team level because people probably won't want to set depth charts for special teams, but I think just getting the average of the IQ of every player is a bit oversimplified.  I'm hoping to be able to spend a decent amount of time on special teams in the engine update, and if so, maybe we can come up with better ways to interact with your special teams.
4/20/2012 12:28 PM
It also does not factor in any offensive player ratings on the interception returns, so no, it does not require BLK or TKL for your offensive players to stop pick 6s.  Interception and interception returns will definitely be touched in the update, but I would never make you have defensive skills for your offensive players.
4/20/2012 12:33 PM
Posted by norbert on 4/20/2012 12:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by fermor332002 on 4/19/2012 3:26:00 PM (view original):
It doesn't really put players on the field for special teams plays, other than the kicker and the return man.  It uses a team special teams rating which is just the average Special Teams IQ of all the players on the team, other than the individual ratings for the kicker and the return man that are used.  I think it looks at it at a team level because people probably won't want to set depth charts for special teams, but I think just getting the average of the IQ of every player is a bit oversimplified.  I'm hoping to be able to spend a decent amount of time on special teams in the engine update, and if so, maybe we can come up with better ways to interact with your special teams.
Thanks norbert the Hun. ;-) It clears it up a bit.
4/20/2012 1:12 PM
Hey Norbert;

Thumbs up on this minor update I definitely like what you have been doing.

One question and let me know if this has been addressed already but in the major update is their being considered the possiblity of subbing in skill players by formation. For example in trips and Shotgun putting in your receiving TE and maybe your fast rb with good hands vs in the I Formation your regular TE and good all around rb? On defense I would love to be able to sub in a pash rusher on passing downs and designate which of my two lbers stay in the game in the nickel and dime!

Again if you have already addressed let me know

Thanks   
4/20/2012 8:27 PM
Norbert, great work.  I think we ALL appreciate how you answer the questions posed to you.  Clearly you understand what is going on in the engine, have thought through many of the issues, and can provide logical answers to us....even if you don't have the immediate fix in mind....its clear that you have the right approach and are working towards good solutions.

Love the communication and the effort.
4/21/2012 9:40 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8 Next ▸
Update: 4/18/12 (UPDATED) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.