Like long drafts (auctions)? This league's for you Topic

Posted by Beernoser on 10/2/2012 11:07:00 AM (view original):
Yes -- there will be many days where each owner will choose not to bid on anyone on the ballot. I'm going to ask each owner to send in a bid sheet at least every few days just to show you're still here even if it's a blank sheet. I'll be keeping track of who I haven't heard from for a few days and then sitemail them.

Just trying to anticipate problems while I wait for WIS to publish its 2012 ratings.
Good call!
10/2/2012 4:20 PM
One question I have is will all the owners be able to know the results of all the bids even the unsuccessful ones?

I really hope so because that information will be very helpful in a strategic way to formulate future bidding.
10/3/2012 7:23 AM
Hmm. This is a tough one just logistically.

I am not computer savvy, so I'm pretty much planning on doing this by hand. What I was planning on doing was  showing how many bids for each player when I posted the daily results, maybe even the second high bid.  To list each person's bid for every player every night seems like a paperwork nightmare for me.

Anyone with computer tech advice to make this more manageable?  I do have a 15 year old son who can help me set  up a system one time.  He's computer savvy, but not particularly helpful in a reaching out kind of way.

I'm not against the idea. I just don't want to stay up until 4 am every night.
10/3/2012 12:14 PM (edited)
Posted by werewolf on 10/3/2012 7:23:00 AM (view original):
One question I have is will all the owners be able to know the results of all the bids even the unsuccessful ones?

I really hope so because that information will be very helpful in a strategic way to formulate future bidding.
Yes, it would be helpful, but no, I dont think it should be done.
These are *sealed* bids that we are using and *un-sealing* them everyday takes AWAY from our own bidding strategy.
I wouldnt want someone tracking all of my bids for future use in determining what his bid should be.

In fact, I hope that the winning *bid* is shown, but I hope the winning *bidder* is not shown.
10/3/2012 1:43 PM (edited)
i also dont think that every bid should be shown.  one, as beer pointed out, it is a logistics noghtmare.   two, why seal the bids if you are unsealing them to everyone.  does this give a competitive advantage to beernoser?  maybe a very small one because he sees all the bids, but i hardly think that he will have the time to make any sense of each person's bidding strategy.

i think that the winning bidder has to be shown, if for no other reason than as a double check.  i know that beer will do his best to keep things straight, but there is a ton of things to track here.  say 2 people bid $100 for a player and one of their bids doesnt get checked or recorded (i have been in other leagues that do auction free agency and this has happened a couple of times over several seasons.  thats not a knock on the commish, it is totally understandable human error).  if beer posts the winning bid as $100, then both people think they got the player and remove the $100 from their available cash.  fast forward to the league starting..both guys enter said player on the roster, we figure out what happened.  do they both get the player?  how do you decide who gets him?  and what impact does that have on how each guy would have bid over the course of the rest of the auction?

i think we eliminate that chance as much as possible and post winning bid and bidder.  that way, if someone else claims to have bid the same amount, it will be identified immediately.
10/3/2012 1:54 PM
I agree with loudawg.  Winning bid and bidder only should be shown. 
10/3/2012 5:42 PM
I agree only winning bid and bidder so we know where players are going.
Yes, with this info, you can track an owners spending if you want to track everyone's winning bid, and I am sure someone may do this, but that is as much a part of a draft as anything else.  Knowing your opponent(s) is part of the game.  
10/3/2012 7:13 PM
I'm fine with only the winning bid and bidder being shown but I think it's very naive to think that knowing all the bids is a very small advantage. If Beernoser wanted to he could use that information as a BIG advantage. I'm not saying he would but if those of you think it's not much of an advanatge at all then you shouldn't mind not getting that information while people like me get it. 
10/3/2012 9:24 PM
Also one of the main reasons the bids are sealed is because there is NO other choice. As stated before you can't have all 24 owners bidding on all the players in an open forum or thread at the same time.

A true auction would have an open forum where everyone knows how everyone bids, it's part of the fun even though basically not possible on WIS
10/3/2012 9:29 PM
Here's what I envision the auction looking like.

Each night around midnight I will post the next day's list.

It will look like this...

Alfonzo, Eliezer (C)
Arencibia, JP (C)
Allen, Brandon (1B)
Ackley, Dustin (2B)
Alvarez, Pedro (3B)
Aviles, Mike (3B)

and 19 more

and then after midnight the next night it will be updated  as follows...

Alfonzo, Eliezer (C)   6  Lou
Arencibia, JP   (C)  no bids
Allen, Brandon (1B)   4 DD
Ackley, Dustin (2B)   11 Beer
Alvarez, Pedro (3B)  2  tie bid
Aviles, Mike (3B)    21  journey

I will also keep a roster for each team and update it daily.
10/4/2012 12:00 AM
i dont remember this...does a tie bid go back into the pool for the next night for everyone to bid on?  or are only the 2 who were tied allowed to bid?
10/4/2012 7:05 AM
Tie bids go back into the pool and can be bid on again at the end of the draft, not the next night. Everyone can bid on them.  The second time they come up, it could be a very different situation as some teams might be short of money and other teams short of players.
10/4/2012 10:20 AM
Posted by werewolf on 10/3/2012 9:24:00 PM (view original):
I'm fine with only the winning bid and bidder being shown but I think it's very naive to think that knowing all the bids is a very small advantage. If Beernoser wanted to he could use that information as a BIG advantage. I'm not saying he would but if those of you think it's not much of an advanatge at all then you shouldn't mind not getting that information while people like me get it. 
Considering that Beernoser is putting significantly more work in this than anyone else, I'm ok with him having that advantage.
10/4/2012 12:17 PM
I will send my picks in when I post the day's people to be bid on, before anyone has sent one to me. I'm thinking I will send them to DD as he's pretty well trusted universally on WIS.

As far as analyzing anyone else's strategy, I just don't think they'll be time for that even if there was an interest. I'm assuming I'm going to be scrambling just to get each day's work done and all the threads updated and cross-checked. I'm worrying if I'll have time to put much analysis into my own team.

Perfect situation would be to have someone run the league who wasn't in it, but that doesn't seem practical.
10/4/2012 1:21 PM
I haven't heard from knowhim, oli and rls.  If anyone knows them, ask to contact me.
10/4/2012 11:32 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Like long drafts (auctions)? This league's for you Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.