How far below the core values should I consider recruiting a guy if he has above average potential?  Say the core for one attribute is 50, would it be ok if he's rated 35 or 40 and still go after him?
6/5/2012 10:19 AM
Another bit of advice base on my own (failed) experience.

Be careful with your recruiting....last season I realized that I had fallen in to a trap over the previous 5-6 seasons.  Instead of sticking with the key attributes that I personally wanted for my players, I found myself more focused on the players that had high GUESS ratings.  As a result, I was losing the advantages in certain skills that I had placed a high value on.

I'm now going back to basics and will probably create my own equations to use in yatzr's recruiting tool to help me stay focused on the attributes that I value vs the normal GUESS values.
6/5/2012 10:19 AM
You have to look at improving your weak positions every season. You have to be true to your own values but it is always a good idea to look at GUESS and compare notes before you recuit and during as well as after a season. It will give you insite on other teams as well as your own.Getting above avg potential is what you want on any player. Lower ranked players should be redshirted or if you have a real good recuit but he will be stuck behind another great player reshirt him don't waste a season with your star players sitting on the bench.
6/5/2012 5:55 PM
Posted by jc1796 on 6/3/2012 11:45:00 PM (view original):

Rmancil, another question...

In my game plan for todays game, I never had my team running the wishbone or a dime defense.  Yet, in the PBP results, I was in those formations occasionally.  Am I not doing something right?

JC
I would look at your GP again I have never seen plays being run that in fact were not in your GP. Pay attention to down distance and time along with score then look at your GP settings to find out which GP was in fact running and then you will have your answer.
6/5/2012 6:02 PM
On the sim front I can tell you that at Div 1 a I look for recruits with sims on them  over human competition as I know I can in most cases get rid of the sim pretty fast while the human could be a long battle. The key in all divisions is to win the recruit while spending as little as you can . All battles are expensive avoid them when ever you can. If you must battle try and make sure you have more money and are closer to your target if you can. Don't battle for scrubs.Don't get into ******* contest your the loser even when you win.
6/5/2012 6:09 PM
Posted by rmancil on 6/5/2012 6:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jc1796 on 6/3/2012 11:45:00 PM (view original):

Rmancil, another question...

In my game plan for todays game, I never had my team running the wishbone or a dime defense.  Yet, in the PBP results, I was in those formations occasionally.  Am I not doing something right?

JC
I would look at your GP again I have never seen plays being run that in fact were not in your GP. Pay attention to down distance and time along with score then look at your GP settings to find out which GP was in fact running and then you will have your answer.

Argh - that's it, I didn't change the GPs for when I'm winning at the end of a half and when I'm losing. 

Thanks!!
6/5/2012 8:22 PM
Posted by govolswoo on 6/4/2012 12:04:00 PM (view original):

i use interest in SIMs as my first cut, before i even look at attributes to narrow down the pool im gonna actually scout.
if a guy has SIMs on him before the first cycle i will not even consider him 9 times outta 10 (if not higher)
there are just too many fish in the DIII sea to bother battling with SIMs.
I dont think i've battled a SIM for more than one or two guys in the last 5 classes.

And I am the opposite. I do not care if he has a sim on him because I can beat sims the way I said earlier. I always go after attributes. The only thing that will make me drop (give up on) a recruit is if a human with more prestige than me is on him. Or when playing D1AA if a D1 school is on him.
Yes there are other fish in the sea, but I am only interested in the best I can get for my team. I am sorry some feel you can't beat sims at D3 but you can. And no I do not fight sims on every last one of my recruits. Maybe 40% of them. I just do not back down from a sim.
6/6/2012 4:18 AM

This season (my second) I didn't immediately give up on the guys that had 3 SIMs on them.  I used the first cycle to scout them all, and found out a guy I liked was an STL, and quickly knocked the SIMs off within two more cycles.

That being said, I did sign a lot of guys that were undecided based on that AC scout alone.
6/6/2012 11:46 AM
rman, how many CVs would you throw at a SIM in the following scenarios

day 1, 3 sims
day 2, 3 sims
day 3, 3 sims
6/6/2012 3:18 PM
Posted by hcazual on 6/6/2012 3:18:00 PM (view original):

day 1, 3 sims
day 2, 3 sims
day 3, 3 sims
day1:  3 CVs
day 2: 4 to 5 CVs
day 3: 6 CVs

The above is for DIII.  Note that all CVs should be sent in one cycle, one at a time; don't use the dropdown and select 3, select 1 CV three times instead.  The first time you send CVs, not all of them will be accepted, so you could actually turn a guy green with 2 CVs.  If you send them one at a time, you will get your money back for the one (or more) that weren't accepted.  If you use the dropdown and send three, either all three will be rejected (you still get your money back), or all three will be accepted (you could overspend a bit if the guy would have turned green for you with only two CVs).
6/6/2012 4:33 PM

rmancil-  So how would you set up your game plan....say for tonight.

6/6/2012 7:40 PM
Posted by mgm0461 on 6/6/2012 4:33:00 PM (view original):

day 1, 3 sims
day 2, 3 sims
day 3, 3 sims

The above is for DIII.  Note that all CVs should be sent in one cycle, one at a time; don't use the dropdown and select 3, select 1 CV three times instead.  The first time you send CVs, not all of them will be accepted, so you could actually turn a guy green with 2 CVs.  If you send them one at a time, you will get your money back for the one (or more) that weren't accepted.  If you use the dropdown and send three, either all three will be rejected (you still get your money back), or all three will be accepted (you could overspend a bit if the guy would have turned green for you with only two CVs).
Well, I just learned something....I've always just sent multiple CVs at once.  Never occurred to me to send one at a time.  
6/6/2012 9:45 PM
Posted by vanian6836 on 6/6/2012 7:40:00 PM (view original):

rmancil-  So how would you set up your game plan....say for tonight.

Plan on changing things up going shotgun throwing the ball around the yard.Got to do something to throw you as you kill me over and over. Now for the folks who want to learn from a master coach and recuiter Van is your man he takes Maryland and whips us all including Penn St.Van you have what 2 N.C. at Maryland over the past 4 seasons?
6/6/2012 11:29 PM
Oh I see Van has been in three N.C. won 1 over the past 4 seasons. That from Maryland pretty impressive.On the CV front I have not recruited at Div 3 in so long I better defer .
6/6/2012 11:34 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 6/6/2012 9:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mgm0461 on 6/6/2012 4:33:00 PM (view original):

day 1, 3 sims
day 2, 3 sims
day 3, 3 sims

Well, I just learned something....I've always just sent multiple CVs at once.  Never occurred to me to send one at a time.  
Use yatzr's Recruit Action Scheduler tool when you do your recruiting:  you can set the actions for each recruit, click on the 'Do Actions' button (do not click on the 'Use Dropdowns' button in the pop up),  This eliminates having to manually do your recruiting actions for each of the players you're considering.
6/7/2012 9:19 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.