Any veteran coaches want to give me some pointers when it comes to game planning?

Thanxs
6/19/2012 8:31 PM
Game planning, formation practice and recruiting are linked at the hip. You must make a commitment and stick to it. The number of positions and the offense ,defense go hand in hand.I think your defense settings and formations come from game play log study. You must scout your opponents learn their GP and down and distance tendencies.You apply those to your GP and your on your way.

There is no magic bullet GP or settings in fact you may want to change these for the score and time left in your game. You should have a few gp situations on your GP list that kick in based on those factors.

On the OL front your talent will change year over year your formations should not. OL who are better will allow you to pass with more aggressive routes which is to say deeper as the QB will need to hold the ball longer. QB and WR also factor in with their skill set. OL GI and IQ factor in as they must read blitz and stunts and they will also need athletic skills with mobility and technique it isn't just strength and blocking but those two skills are always the starting point imop.

You will need to scout your own team to find out what settings work for you and keep in mind your opponent and his teams skill set.One other aspect to keep in mind when deciding your offense is Time of possession as that is a huge and most often over looked aspect of the game. Depth comes into play on both offense and defense when you factor this into your GP and will often spell victory or defeat. 
6/20/2012 6:24 AM
I've read this Topic since it started 20 days ago and its been one of the best topics to help new and less experienced coaches improve . During this time I have taken my team to the National semis and lost by a touchdown against a great team . Great all-round  information . Just a little tidbit that I found , after the first round signings have completed and money is tight , I have recruited a couple of decent recruits that fit my needs with just a phone call .
6/20/2012 12:40 PM
In regards to recruits with SIMS - I may have dreamed this but I thought I read somewhere once that it is actually harder to knock off the recruits with 1 SIM rather than the recruits with 3 SIMS.  Does anyone have experience with this?
6/20/2012 5:18 PM
Posted by fatherofmany on 6/20/2012 5:18:00 PM (view original):
In regards to recruits with SIMS - I may have dreamed this but I thought I read somewhere once that it is actually harder to knock off the recruits with 1 SIM rather than the recruits with 3 SIMS.  Does anyone have experience with this?
+1  It is harder to knock off a recruit with only one sim.  You must attack them aggressively!  Also, make sure you check to see if it is a need for the sim.  Ex- If you are recruiting an OL and the sim has only 3OL, then you better go hard and be prepared to offer a PS.  I have had success at D2, D1aa, and D1a knocking off simmy using the allotted amount  per scholly within the first two cycles after the 24 hour period. (I use 2AC and 2HC scouts with the rest being CV's).   Once the recruit is yellow, (depending on the level) I will send 2-5 CV until the recruit turns green. A lot of times it will cost you a bit more to knock off simmy.  I do not recommend this practice at D3 and only recommend it at D2 if you have great vision and the player is a stud.  You can find a lot of good  undecided players at D3 and D2 for cheap.
6/20/2012 11:34 PM
A lot of questions about vision, the best way I've found to test/watch for improvement is to run a search for the max number of Punters you can see during the season. Once the season rolls over, run it again. If there are more, your vision increased, etc.
6/22/2012 7:56 AM
^^^^^This guy has no idea what he's talking about. 
6/22/2012 8:08 AM
Gosh...owenj everyone knows it kicker and not punters to test vision increase/decrease.
6/22/2012 8:30 AM
I have a question about potentials. I just finished my 6th season and have read everything I could find on recruiting. I keep seeing people talk about STL, which I assume to mean Sky's the Limit. In my 6 recruiting seasons I have scouted 4-5 times the number of players I end up signing so that I can get guys with high potential, but I have never seen a report that said anything about the sky being the limit for a recruit. Am I looking in the wrong places? Or is this potential just that rare?
6/22/2012 10:49 AM
Posted by jbagley on 6/22/2012 10:49:00 AM (view original):
I have a question about potentials. I just finished my 6th season and have read everything I could find on recruiting. I keep seeing people talk about STL, which I assume to mean Sky's the Limit. In my 6 recruiting seasons I have scouted 4-5 times the number of players I end up signing so that I can get guys with high potential, but I have never seen a report that said anything about the sky being the limit for a recruit. Am I looking in the wrong places? Or is this potential just that rare?
STL potential is rare, which is why coaches tend to go nuts on fighting for said recruit if they see it in the scouting report.
it's the highest level of potential in GD. over the seasons i've played i've seen 14, signed 12 and lost 2 in recruiting.
there are about 4 different responses that indicate STL but it is indeed rare, some coaches never see it.

6/22/2012 11:58 AM

I know it was covered early some, but i was not clear, does anyone know the keys for good OL in a pass heavey offense?...also, r there any specific WR/QB's to look for?

6/22/2012 2:46 PM
Posted by jas_illini on 6/22/2012 8:08:00 AM (view original):
^^^^^This guy has no idea what he's talking about. 
I found the absolute easiest thing I could post about...I feel like I gave away the farm.
6/22/2012 3:42 PM
Posted by govolswoo on 6/7/2012 10:23:00 AM (view original):
Posted by biggamefan on 6/6/2012 4:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by govolswoo on 6/4/2012 12:04:00 PM (view original):

i use interest in SIMs as my first cut, before i even look at attributes to narrow down the pool im gonna actually scout.
if a guy has SIMs on him before the first cycle i will not even consider him 9 times outta 10 (if not higher)
there are just too many fish in the DIII sea to bother battling with SIMs.
I dont think i've battled a SIM for more than one or two guys in the last 5 classes.

And I am the opposite. I do not care if he has a sim on him because I can beat sims the way I said earlier. I always go after attributes. The only thing that will make me drop (give up on) a recruit is if a human with more prestige than me is on him. Or when playing D1AA if a D1 school is on him.
Yes there are other fish in the sea, but I am only interested in the best I can get for my team. I am sorry some feel you can't beat sims at D3 but you can. And no I do not fight sims on every last one of my recruits. Maybe 40% of them. I just do not back down from a sim.
again, the point (at least in DIII) is not that you cant beat a SIM but that there is usually no need to.
there are just so many guys that are more-or-less equal attribute-wise. I mean for any given scoring/ranking system, there could be literally several dozens of guys within a point or so of each other, so that your #1 target is really more-or-less the same attribute-wise than your 50th target.
yes things can vary wien you factor in potential and WE, but as far as primary and secondary attributes, dont think of things as a concrete ranking of 1-whatever but rather a whatever-way tie for first place.
you can certainly knock off SIMs with enough money spent smartly enough, but why spend $4,000 to sign your #4 prospect when you could spend $400 to sign the #12 prospect who will end up playing more-or-less the same in the game enigne anyway? Yes, #4 is technically better than #12, but only by the slimist of measurable margins, and there will probably be no decernable difference in gameplay.
Plus there is a random attribute to growth within WE/Potential combos. I've started lookin into this and it appears that 2 guys with the same WE and same potential level and same game experience will not have the exact same growth rate.
So if the way players play in the engine and grow through the seasons are a little fuzzy there is no need to be uber-precise in who you recruit (i.e. spending $5,000 to knock off SIMs for your #1 WR when you could have had your #8 WR with just an AC scout)

You're correct in saying there are tons of recruits that are "more or less" equal, but IMHO that little bit of difference is what separates the "great" coaches from the "elite" coaches. I'm nowhere near an "elite" coach, and am sure I won't be for a long time if ever, but I do see the difference, though it may take a number of seasons for it to make that difference. I guess it's all according to how important becoming an elite coach is...
6/23/2012 9:09 AM
Is ther a difference between "an elite coach" and coaching an elite?
6/23/2012 10:13 AM
Posted by iamthetwo__2 on 6/23/2012 10:13:00 AM (view original):
Is ther a difference between "an elite coach" and coaching an elite?
Yes
6/23/2012 2:23 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.