Back 20 seasons ago, I tried this with a guy in the minors (can't prove it or show stats, since minor league stats are not kept for retired players).  I got 5 (-) plays in 20 games and abandoned it.  I'll have to try it again.
5/31/2012 9:56 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/31/2012 12:17:00 PM (view original):
Mike's new right fielder:

There is a kid (David) in my younger son's Little League level who is by far the worst player in the league.  He's a "special needs" kid who plays by his own agenda when he's on the field.  We played his team tonight.  I coach first base for our team.  In the bottom of the first inning, during our first AB, I turned around to check the depth of the OFers and where they were playing and was quite amused to see David in his own little world behind me in right field.  I immediately thought of this thread and, in particular, this picture.
5/31/2012 11:15 PM
Don't you think posting a pic of that kid, considering the circumstances, makes you a bit of an *******?

FWIW, when I coached 8-9 year olds, half the team played with their own agenda.   None were "special needs" but I spent half the game yelling "BILLY!!!  THE GAME'S ON THIS FIELD!!" or "JIMMY!!!!  PAY ATTENTION TO THE BATTER!!!"    I spent the other half of the game telling Billy and Jimmy's parents why Billy and Jimmy weren't playing SS and batting first.
6/1/2012 8:02 AM
i don't think that's the exact kid tec's talking about
6/1/2012 8:11 AM
That isn't a picture of the kid I'm talking about.  That's just a random internet picture.
6/1/2012 8:12 AM
Or, what sergei said.
6/1/2012 8:13 AM
Oh, nevermind.  Except about the ******* part.  That applies even without the actual kid pic.
6/1/2012 8:14 AM
Update:

After a brief run thru interleague as a DH, Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Frank Nieve now has 293 innings in RF.   38 putouts, 1 assist, 1 error and 4 negative plays.   A little worse than he was before but still not as bad as one would think.
6/5/2012 4:05 PM
I tossed Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Lance Kelleher out in RF for some late season garbage time.... and the error struck quickly!!!!
6/5/2012 5:23 PM
You've convinced me to give  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Yorvit James a shot in RF vs. 1B for the remainder of the year (vs. Righties)... results to follow...
6/5/2012 5:56 PM
Is there an added chance of injury if you play a guy out of position?
6/6/2012 11:38 AM
Posted by willsauve on 6/6/2012 11:38:00 AM (view original):
Is there an added chance of injury if you play a guy out of position?
No.
6/6/2012 11:59 AM
Not that we know of.  
6/6/2012 12:19 PM
Has anyone done any sort of analysis to test if ALL fielding differences are reflected in +/- plays and errors?

It seems that my pitchers have much better stats when I have a team has above average (by HBD recommendations) fielders at every position than when I don't. And that the +/- plays & errors don't come close to having enough of an impact to explain that.

I suspect that much of the impact of fielding is not shown in the box score or play-by-play.  Which means balls are caught or drop in for hits based on fielding and there is no way for us to know if any particular play had anything to do with fielding ratings.

Before I buy into the Rock In RF Theory, I'd want to see a lot of data that includes putouts, assists, and how many times a runner went 1st-3rd or scored from 2nd on balls hit to RF.   Not that I'm going to gather the data. But it would be cool if someone did. And shared it with me.  And nobody else.

6/6/2012 2:36 PM
Actually, the +/- do show a HUGE impact on pitching.    I'll bump a thread called something like "C at 1B".   Look at the data I tracked on 5 pitchers, whose ratings didn't change, and the results they had based on +/- plays.

The thing with the RF is they don't get that many +/- plays regardless of ratings.
6/6/2012 2:46 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...17 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.