dub, owners complain about tandem starters because some owners game the tandem starters to pull one pitcher as soon as possible and swap in the opposite handed pitcher.  It isn't done in real life.

This thread is just about finding a place to use a player with a good bat where you can hide poor defense.  That does happen in real life.

9/6/2012 3:54 PM
in real life there are outfielders who would rate 1 out of 7 in range on the major league rating scale?

*I stand corrected, a hbd player with a range of 9 would be a zero on the mlb scale
9/6/2012 4:02 PM (edited)
Seems like I remember Johnny Bench playing 3B and OF at times
9/6/2012 3:58 PM
Bench was not a rock, was a very athletic young man, even played cf in a major league game or two.  I would guess his range factor was never below 1.7
I dont think any semi regular player has ever had a rf much lower than 1.6

in real life it would be silly to put someone that inmoblie in a major league outfield
9/6/2012 4:06 PM
A few weeks ago the Rangers put Mark Trumbo in RF.  I believe at the time I read something like he'd played maybe ten games in the OF in his entire pro career, and never above the low minors.

While I don't care to speculate on what number Trumbo's range would translate to, I think "playing a guy where he's never played before" isn't something you'd expect to see a pro team do conventionally.

9/6/2012 4:17 PM (edited)
Trumbo has played in the OF all 3 years of his ML career. and has played it better than below average.  that 10 games thing is off, because Ive seen him in the outfield more than that this season.  No way that guy would rate as a 9 in range if he were a hbd player
9/6/2012 4:19 PM
rf not outfield
9/6/2012 4:20 PM
Meh.  Yogi Berra and even Babe Ruth played RF.   I don't think of them as "nimble, old school Ichiros". 

Adrian Gonzalez and Kevin Youkilis played some RF for Boston in recent years.   Neither of those guys will join the ballet.
9/6/2012 4:21 PM
My mistake, I meant Olt.  Confused him with Trumbo.  At the time they'd called up Olt but were trying to fit him into the lineup somewhere.  Still running Michael Young out there.

9/6/2012 4:25 PM
where did the ichiro comparisons come in?
Im talking about guys who would be single digits in hbd rating terms, I have no idea about Berra or Ruth.
youk is a good one, Id be curious to know what his range factor was in the outfield.

but A.G. probably didnt have 27 innings in the of until this year. And we all know how well that worked out for him, it was embarassing to watch him get picked on out there. he was TERRIBLE
9/6/2012 4:28 PM
Michael Young plays outfield?  I saw Olt get the start out there, I do not think he will become a part time outfielder. but it is too early to tell.
9/6/2012 4:32 PM

Well, if we're talking unrealistic, I would say the number of guys with that low of range is way high.  Virtually every catcher in the game is a complete rock relative to even 1B, and that's not overly realistic either.

9/6/2012 4:34 PM

Gonzalez-148 career innings, 3 errors, RF/9 of 1.34
Youk actually did most of his OF work in left.   Greg Luzinski, who I avoided because he played LF, would be another rock in the OF.

Ruth and Berra were not fast, rangy guys.   I doubt Ruth would come out as a 9 Range in HBD but Berra probably would.  

9/6/2012 4:37 PM
The reason to play the low range guy in RF is two fold.  
1. Less opportunities.   In this game, the best RF have a RF of 1.75-1.80.  That's a little lower than MLB which I think is just over 2.
2. The game makes AA/AS the "important" ratings in RF.   C have good arms, poor range and weak gloves.  

Anyway, as you can see with my experiments(that are actually players now), the C turned RF costs you 50-70 plays per 162.   I'd argue that it might be less in MLB if someone like Russell Martin played RF for a full season.   A manager could "pitch away" from that side of the field thus limiting his opps.   Can't do that in HBD.
9/6/2012 4:42 PM
Ryan Doumit is a real life C/RF/DH.

9/6/2012 4:43 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...17 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.