bump
6/14/2017 12:00 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2012 10:01:00 AM (view original):

Update!

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Frank Nieve has played 116 innings in LF and hasn't been a disaster.   Producing pretty much the same results as in RF.  However, because a defensive upgrade in LF can produce a lot more outs, the effect of "same" is much greater.    Nieve is now having some fatigue issues so, because I want the experiment as "clean" as possible, he'll see some bench time.   He won't be playing any more 1B and will only get LF/RF innings. 

Thus far, after checking dozens of previous results on my teams, a "normal" RF produces about 220-250 positive plays(positive plays, putouts, assists - errors, negative plays) per season.    Nieve was on pace for 197.   I'm estimating a C will produce about 12-15% less PPPS in RF.    Attempting to extrapolate that to offensive numbers, you'd need about .2(that's point two) more RC27 from him to "break even". 

In contrast, Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Bingo Pearson is only on pace to create 209.2 PPPS in RF after 230 innings.  However, as a LF, he was on pace for 358.4 while the rest of the team was producing 311.4(Nieve excluded).   Because I've known about the ability to get "extra D" from LF, my average numbers might be a bit skewed.   I'm estimating that a normal LF will produce about 290-320 PPPS.

Catching up on this thread.

We're assuming a difference of 40-70 defensive plays per season with these Cs and 2/3 runs cost per play, correct?

Let's call it 50 plays per season and 35 runs cost (as was stated by Mike earlier in the thread)

I'm confused about the translation to offense, the only reference i see to that is right here, regarding the .2 runs more RC27 (needed from the C as opposed to a normal RF). May I ask how we arrived at that number?
6/14/2017 5:04 AM
Just reading about this now. Say you have two players, one is 50-50-50-50 fielding, one is 65-65-65-65. Would you put the 50's in right and 65's in left? Or do you need a good arm in RF?
6/14/2017 4:37 PM
The 50s will do more damage in LF than the 65s will help in RF.
6/14/2017 5:12 PM
Has anyone played C in RF in the playoffs? Would they do it again?
7/20/2017 10:32 PM
Posted by opie100 on 7/20/2017 10:32:00 PM (view original):
Has anyone played C in RF in the playoffs? Would they do it again?
Yes. Yes.
7/20/2017 11:28 PM
Yes I play a guy on my Cleveland team in Cl Ripken league named Tory Chung dude is unreal and plays RF with no issue though he would be better off at C
8/4/2017 3:05 AM
Here is the player link https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=7558470
8/4/2017 3:07 AM
Or maybe it's in here, lccooler.
1/3/2018 5:43 PM
It is in here and you commented at the time. This is the best fielding formula I've ran across.
1/3/2018 5:45 PM
Bump
9/20/2019 2:31 PM
This can also work in reverse.

If you are in a World with a bunch of vet owners that take advantage of this 'trick', you can try to target guys that are left handed with a low push-pull rating or right handed hitters with a high push-pull rating. Obviously, don't sacrifice the better hitter over a guy with a more desirable push-pull rating, but as MikeT mentioned, this works because RFs rarely get opportunities to field balls compared to other fielders. If you find that half of the teams in league you are in are using a C or DH as a RF, you might be able to force more opponent RF opportunities and sneak in a dozen or so extra hits which should equal about 24 extra bases.
9/20/2019 6:40 PM (edited)
Posted by schuyler101 on 6/14/2017 5:04:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/18/2012 10:01:00 AM (view original):

Update!

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Frank Nieve has played 116 innings in LF and hasn't been a disaster.   Producing pretty much the same results as in RF.  However, because a defensive upgrade in LF can produce a lot more outs, the effect of "same" is much greater.    Nieve is now having some fatigue issues so, because I want the experiment as "clean" as possible, he'll see some bench time.   He won't be playing any more 1B and will only get LF/RF innings. 

Thus far, after checking dozens of previous results on my teams, a "normal" RF produces about 220-250 positive plays(positive plays, putouts, assists - errors, negative plays) per season.    Nieve was on pace for 197.   I'm estimating a C will produce about 12-15% less PPPS in RF.    Attempting to extrapolate that to offensive numbers, you'd need about .2(that's point two) more RC27 from him to "break even". 

In contrast, Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Bingo Pearson is only on pace to create 209.2 PPPS in RF after 230 innings.  However, as a LF, he was on pace for 358.4 while the rest of the team was producing 311.4(Nieve excluded).   Because I've known about the ability to get "extra D" from LF, my average numbers might be a bit skewed.   I'm estimating that a normal LF will produce about 290-320 PPPS.

Catching up on this thread.

We're assuming a difference of 40-70 defensive plays per season with these Cs and 2/3 runs cost per play, correct?

Let's call it 50 plays per season and 35 runs cost (as was stated by Mike earlier in the thread)

I'm confused about the translation to offense, the only reference i see to that is right here, regarding the .2 runs more RC27 (needed from the C as opposed to a normal RF). May I ask how we arrived at that number?
I believe MikeT used 1428 innings as a "whole season".... 35 runs/1428 innings = .02 runs cost per inning *9 = 0.22 runs cost per game (which would be reflected in RC27). I can't say for certain that's how he got to the number, but it makes logical sense and the math checks out.
9/29/2019 9:47 PM
◂ Prev 1...15|16|17

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.