Update Preview: Position Roles and Depth Charts Topic

Thanks guys.  We still have a long way to go and it remains to be seen how much randomness will remain in the engine, but I think we're heading in the right direction.
6/3/2012 12:18 PM
Posted by 0bigzeke0 on 6/3/2012 1:19:00 AM (view original):
What are you thinking for QB strength? Will we be able to set up a running vs a passing QB with these Position Roles?
Strength for QB is a little weird because it currently represents both body strength and arm strength, and while those could be two different things, we have to keep it as it is until we can review the ratings all together.  Strength for QB would be used in checks to break tackles, whether for running or resisting sacks.  It also is used in determining the ability of the QB to throw the ball down field.  It actually is used in those calculations today, but you have to look at my past comments on randomness as to why it doesn't seem to matter enough.  We'll try to make it seem to matter now and hopefully get the pbp updated so you can tell.

You will be able to set up a Running QB and a Passing QB.

6/3/2012 12:24 PM
Norbert, 

This is definitely a GREAT enhancement to the current engine.  Just by you implementing this ONE change would be considered a great success for GD.  Since this is just a taste of what's to come, I have a feeling that GD will be very busy after the update :)
6/3/2012 12:27 PM
Posted by norbert on 6/3/2012 12:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by 0bigzeke0 on 6/3/2012 1:19:00 AM (view original):
What are you thinking for QB strength? Will we be able to set up a running vs a passing QB with these Position Roles?
Strength for QB is a little weird because it currently represents both body strength and arm strength, and while those could be two different things, we have to keep it as it is until we can review the ratings all together.  Strength for QB would be used in checks to break tackles, whether for running or resisting sacks.  It also is used in determining the ability of the QB to throw the ball down field.  It actually is used in those calculations today, but you have to look at my past comments on randomness as to why it doesn't seem to matter enough.  We'll try to make it seem to matter now and hopefully get the pbp updated so you can tell.

You will be able to set up a Running QB and a Passing QB.

You say a Running QB and a Passing QB. Does this meen that we can set up QBs for each formation? Players for each for mation? If not, a Running QB will not do me or any one else any good in the Shotgun or Trips as a Passing QB in ND or WB.
6/3/2012 12:46 PM (edited)
Norbert I definitely think it would help to differentiate between arm strength and difficulty to tackle strength for qb's. As for starters and this may be too difficult but would there be a way for the engine to determine which players are used most and itself compile them into each teams starters?

And may have missed this but is the roles just for skill positions? i.e bruising rb vs scatback and blocking TE vs receiving TE? Or will you have roles for DL and OL? Not sure about OL roles but possibly pass rushers versus run stoppers on DL. Such as DE's who are better run stoppers being subbed out for your less stout but faster and more elusive DE's on passing downs. Of course am assuming on the update of the engine  speed and ELU for pass rushing DE's more important than it seems to be now.

All in all thanks for all the input and time Norbert.  
6/3/2012 2:54 PM
Norbert, thanks for all you are doing.  I know you have been told this but it's worth repeating that your approach is a "breath of fresh air" to some of us who have been with WIS for several years now.

Tagging on to what Sammy posted.  

I'm sure you are already thinking this but just in case, ...while you are looking at position roles, being able to add a player like a speed pass rusher from the outside at DE (or perhaps LB in the 3-4) would be very nice.  Or inserting your better coverage LBers on 3rd down.  I know that probably means you have to adjust the depth chart options so that a player like that could be on the field in certain situations, but it would really enhance the game.  Another example would be a possession receiver from the slot in Trips.  Going to Double Tight whenever you needed it.  

Allowing different players to be on the field in certain situations provides more "coaching " options for your customers.  It also might  open up some other options in the game like recruiting as you look for that guy who may not fit the role of an every down player but could be a real asset in certain situations.

Keep up the good work
6/3/2012 3:47 PM
will we be able to set style by unit?
I might want the front 7 to play agressive but the DB to hang back, or vice versa.

6/3/2012 9:23 PM
Posted by sammyboy4022 on 6/3/2012 2:54:00 PM (view original):
Norbert I definitely think it would help to differentiate between arm strength and difficulty to tackle strength for qb's. As for starters and this may be too difficult but would there be a way for the engine to determine which players are used most and itself compile them into each teams starters?

And may have missed this but is the roles just for skill positions? i.e bruising rb vs scatback and blocking TE vs receiving TE? Or will you have roles for DL and OL? Not sure about OL roles but possibly pass rushers versus run stoppers on DL. Such as DE's who are better run stoppers being subbed out for your less stout but faster and more elusive DE's on passing downs. Of course am assuming on the update of the engine  speed and ELU for pass rushing DE's more important than it seems to be now.

All in all thanks for all the input and time Norbert.  
You will be able to set different Roles for all positions, not just the offensive skill positions.  Yes, this can bring back the hockey line style changes, but unless you are carrying 10 OL, we're really probably talking about 1-2 subs, and if you really do make the commitment to have 10+ OL out of 50 players then good luck.
6/4/2012 10:49 AM
I can't wait and "3.0" looks like the game I had hoped for when I joined the site.  Great work norbert and team
6/6/2012 9:37 AM
You will be able to set different Roles for all positions, not just the offensive skill positions. Yes, this can bring back the hockey line style changes, but unless you are carrying 10 OL, we're really probably talking about 1-2 subs, and if you really do make the commitment to have 10+ OL out of 50 players then good luck.

Good deal Norbert adn yes I agree carrying 10 OL may have been optimal in the ground and pound engine but not really realistic in this version or am assuming the 3.0 where more positions and strategies come into play. ?
6/6/2012 4:09 PM
Will we be able to set depth charts for how much time is left and the score? Just like game plans. Would be nice to have a depth chart set so your Soph/Fresh/Backups can get playing time if you are winning big or losing big within a set time remaining.
6/7/2012 11:36 PM
Posted by ksbillsfan on 6/7/2012 11:36:00 PM (view original):
Will we be able to set depth charts for how much time is left and the score? Just like game plans. Would be nice to have a depth chart set so your Soph/Fresh/Backups can get playing time if you are winning big or losing big within a set time remaining.
Currently, that is not in the plans, but we may look at working in some setting that allows your backups to get in under certain conditions.  This would most likely be something we work in towards the end after the engine is in good shape, but it has a lot of ramifications to playing time and such.
6/8/2012 10:37 AM
Norbert, if you're looking for conformation from your paying customers that we feel like you're heading in the right direction I will say this. YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES............................AND YES!!!!! And for the 1,000th time, and well deserved, thank you for the hard work and many hours you are putting into this game. I hope you're getting paid what you're worth, which is a mint!
6/9/2012 2:26 PM
Will the update include the need for matcingvup the proper defense with the given offense. ie.. dime vs gun and 52 vs box for optimal defensive play? btw i really like the idea of roles. however with the way players advance over the years; i think we will still be playing our. seniors over any special rating underclass. what i mean by this is that any players low attribute climbs fasterthan the already high attribute . so what you end up with is the balanced. senior. i think if we have a roster of 55 or 60 then we could take full advantage. of roles.
6/10/2012 10:38 AM
A major focus of the update is to redo the way the engine evaluates the number of players participating in a given part of a play, such as at the line or trying to tackle a player, and how it evaluates the talent levels of those players.  So, hopefully if everything goes as planned, you should see a natural benefit to correctly matched formations and a penalty to mismatched formations.

Injecting player roles into the game is the first step.  I think a following step, to make player roles reach their maximum potential, is going to be altering the development process and player generation so that there is more diversity in players and a reason to recruit certain players over others.  This would not be something we would do by itself, so we would probably review the roster size and red shirts and everything at that point as well.
6/12/2012 10:44 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Update Preview: Position Roles and Depth Charts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.