Player for cash discussion Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 7/30/2012 8:23:00 AM (view original):
But at least he was a giver and a taker.   BTW, bigal and blanch left after S15. 
And aside from the variables within the game, there are even more when you consider real life, and why people stop playing this game.  But I suppose you forgot about real life.
7/30/2012 10:46 AM
I'm not posting 72 examples because anyone who cares can check it themselves.  I'm not your research monkey.

Both bigal and blanch are still playing the game.

Ignore the facts if you want but you can check any of your "FREE CASH!!!" worlds and see it for yourself.   Of course, I'm sure every owner who leaves is doing so for "real life reasons" even if he has half a dozen other teams, right?
7/30/2012 11:29 AM

Y'know what I noticed?  A large number of the anti-cash-in-trades people also posted a lot in the "What we learned in Aaron/Ruth" thread.  Do you think there's a correlation?

7/30/2012 11:45 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/30/2012 9:10:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/29/2012 8:23:00 AM (view original):
How many times can people say the same thing yet think they're making their point in a better manner?

I did this awhile ago and I imagine the results would be the same.    Check the cash deals in your world(or any world) where cash isn't restricted.   You'll likely find a few things:
1.  The better team is getting the cash.
2.  That same team will still be better in three seasons.
3,  One or both owners will be gone after five seasons.

IOW, the owner doling OUT cash usually isn't as good at HBD as the owner getting cash and despite his brilliant move to make a good team better, he won't get better at HBD than his trade partner.
I wasn't really singling anyone out, bigal, I was just backing up this after jclark disputed it.
No, I got that.  I think my point being, I did terrible in that league and looking back on it I think I see some reasons why.  Sending large amounts of cash doesn't work all that well for a good team.  Granted I was in rebuilding mode in that league, but I could have used that $5 million elsewhere and probably been better off.
7/30/2012 11:53 AM
FWIW, I'm not "anti-cash", I'm "anti-bad trade".  

I've played three ways:
1.  "I'm a much thinner, considerably better looking American version of deathinahole.  NO CASH EVER!!!!"

2.  "Yeah, I'd love to have that player but I need you to pay the salary.   What can we do to make it work?"

3.  "We have a 1.5m cash limit.  I'll need to throw in a salary to make this work."

Option 1 makes it tough to trade if one or both teams are near their cap.   Perhaps even impossible to trade.
Option 2 makes it very, very easy to trade.   Especially if you don't plan on sticking around.
Option 3 isn't as tough as option 1 but, if you've played the game properly, you don't have useless salary floating around.  So you end up moving an extra usable piece.

7/30/2012 12:02 PM
It works real well when the trading  partner needs your cash to sign a top prospect. He will give a good prospect to sign his better one, and you have gotten a player you would have no reason to expect to get for peanuts., or at least money that would not have been used at all. Pick your spots.
7/30/2012 12:08 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/30/2012 11:29:00 AM (view original):
I'm not posting 72 examples because anyone who cares can check it themselves.  I'm not your research monkey.

Ignore the facts if you want but you can check any of your "FREE CASH!!!" worlds and see it for yourself.   Of course, I'm sure every owner who leaves is doing so for "real life reasons" even if he has half a dozen other teams, right?
"Ignore facts". 

You have done what all bad researchers do.  You have come up with a theory, cherry picked your studies, and ignored all other factors.  Because you settled on your conclusion first.  Again, fantastic job.
7/30/2012 12:13 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/30/2012 12:02:00 PM (view original):
FWIW, I'm not "anti-cash", I'm "anti-bad trade".  

I've played three ways:
1.  "I'm a much thinner, considerably better looking American version of deathinahole.  NO CASH EVER!!!!"

2.  "Yeah, I'd love to have that player but I need you to pay the salary.   What can we do to make it work?"

3.  "We have a 1.5m cash limit.  I'll need to throw in a salary to make this work."

Option 1 makes it tough to trade if one or both teams are near their cap.   Perhaps even impossible to trade.
Option 2 makes it very, very easy to trade.   Especially if you don't plan on sticking around.
Option 3 isn't as tough as option 1 but, if you've played the game properly, you don't have useless salary floating around.  So you end up moving an extra usable piece.

As to (1), pics please.
7/30/2012 12:15 PM
Posted by jclarkbaker on 7/30/2012 12:13:00 PM (view original):

"Ignore facts". 

You have done what all bad researchers do.  You have come up with a theory, cherry picked your studies, and ignored all other factors.  Because you settled on your conclusion first.  Again, fantastic job.
Sez the guy who believes that 190 = 185.
7/30/2012 12:15 PM
I understand the value in it.   That's not my problem.   I also understand the collusive element to it.  That's my problem.

For instance, say me, you, tec and jclark are in the same world.    tec needs 2m to sign his pick, jclark needs 2m to sign his pick.  Both offer me a decent prospect for 2m in cash and a try out camp pitcher.   Which trade do I accept?  The natural reaction is to accept the deal sent by the owner you find more agreeable because the deals are almost identical.   

Now remove the cash.  They now have to send me a decent prospect and a player making 2m for my nothingness.   Except they have to get something of value now or the deal gets vetoed.   What's the odds of all three players involved being similar?  Now I have to make a decision on which trade works best for my team regardless of my thoughts on the other owners.  Unless I'm a moron who'd rather make jclark squirm instead of making my team better.
7/30/2012 12:21 PM

"Ignore facts". 

There's no cherry picking.  I entered your world and the OP's world.   I went back 5 seasons and looked at deals with 5m included.   And the same thing keeps happening over and over again.    Feel free to look in any world with no cash policy and let me know what you find.
7/30/2012 12:22 PM
FWIW, there are exceptions.    I checked Greenberg.  gjello has built a ridiculous team.  5 seasons ago he handed out 10m with his older players and got prospects in return while winning 100.    2 of the three owners are no longer in the world and gjello has been better than the other.   The prospects are now BL players and he's still winning.  So the owner giving up the cash isn't always the lesser owner.   But gjello did exactly what he needed to do to be good now and later.
7/30/2012 12:35 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/30/2012 12:15:00 PM (view original):

"Ignore facts". 

Sez the guy who believes that 190 = 185.
Is that what I believe?
7/30/2012 1:01 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/30/2012 12:21:00 PM (view original):
I understand the value in it.   That's not my problem.   I also understand the collusive element to it.  That's my problem.

For instance, say me, you, tec and jclark are in the same world.    tec needs 2m to sign his pick, jclark needs 2m to sign his pick.  Both offer me a decent prospect for 2m in cash and a try out camp pitcher.   Which trade do I accept?  The natural reaction is to accept the deal sent by the owner you find more agreeable because the deals are almost identical.   

Now remove the cash.  They now have to send me a decent prospect and a player making 2m for my nothingness.   Except they have to get something of value now or the deal gets vetoed.   What's the odds of all three players involved being similar?  Now I have to make a decision on which trade works best for my team regardless of my thoughts on the other owners.  Unless I'm a moron who'd rather make jclark squirm instead of making my team better.
You accept mine.
7/30/2012 1:05 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/30/2012 12:22:00 PM (view original):

"Ignore facts". 

There's no cherry picking.  I entered your world and the OP's world.   I went back 5 seasons and looked at deals with 5m included.   And the same thing keeps happening over and over again.    Feel free to look in any world with no cash policy and let me know what you find.
Oh, so your sample size is even smaller, because now all of a sudden only cash in the amount of $5m matters.  I see.
7/30/2012 1:06 PM
◂ Prev 1...25|26|27|28|29...38 Next ▸
Player for cash discussion Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.