ODL-40 Team Compositions Topic

I'm just tickled shitless that Dwight's 60% fg% is going to be wasted by Kobe & Pierce firing up bricks.
8/10/2012 11:41 PM
But on the bright side that should mean fewer trips to the line and his 60% there as well, correct? Actually my Howard usage will be higher than the PP I'm using, so I'll have to figure out how to get Dwight at least 7-8 minutes a game of "Kobe free" time. Hey, and more bricks = more boards for Dwight, right?
8/11/2012 12:28 AM
natenoy wis-quantum physics theory: less is more... well, works for mosquito bites and measels!

actually, nate MAKES the playoffs. who wants to wager with me?
8/11/2012 12:44 AM (edited)
also, logic has no place in the realm of WIS.  Neither does good basketball sense - two things which you have stated a lot of.  Unfortunately, you'll find out that it's truly a numbers game and the best way to manipulate those numbers doesn't always make basketball sense.  For example:  Your bright side is a double edged sword... it might mean less trips to the line for Howard, but it means less trips to the line for your team.  Less trips to the line means less personal fouls on your opponent.  Less fouls by your opponent means less foul trouble, which means his gameplan won't be as disrupted, which can be a very, very bad thing depending on the owner.  Quickest way to screw up a dominant team is a quick foul out by an important person.

edit: scud - I need to see more than 3 picks before I say that.  I'm dubious right now, though.  I'll tell you why after I see what nate puts out as a SL.

8/11/2012 12:46 AM
Posted by scudmissle on 8/10/2012 7:34:00 PM (view original):
i forget who the owner was, but he recruited 5 other owners and they joined an exhibition league together just to test out the double team theory. each team was comprised of the same players, and same seasons. 3 teams would double team the same player, and three teams would not. jordan was on every team, as was wilt. i forget the other players. in a 10 game season, no would could determine that double teaming had any effect.

then they said the exhibition teams were deprived of certain managerial controls, so they expanded their efforts and all joined an open league at the same time. i think 4 others went in with them. after a full season of an open league, one determination was made, and agreed to by the others, double teaming actually hurt the team's chances when playing each other.

yeah, wis recommends d'teaming, but it is very unreliable. to be able to do this, the team aggregate defense on the floor has to be stout. wis does not actually double team the player through match-ups, rather, as a team as a whole, which makes it obsolete.
Jakotay, jweb1510, captainzen, usmoo, joshbonds, and I did that test in several exhibition leagues.

We determined that DTing caused a small dip in performance.
8/11/2012 12:48 AM
dip in performance for your team defensively
8/11/2012 12:50 AM
hahahaha. i knew it was done by somebody! my mind is still intact, haven't lost it all yet. that was a very cool experiment
8/11/2012 12:52 AM
Posted by scudmissle on 8/11/2012 12:44:00 AM (view original):
natenoy wis-quantum physics theory: less is more... well, works for mosquito bites and measels!

actually, nate MAKES the playoffs. who wants to wager with me?
I would almost make that bet.  What I really don't like (outside of the usage thing) is that he either screwed himself on assists or rebounds, and maybe both depending on what else he drafts obviously.  There is a really, really thin line here between brilliance and a descent into the madness of over figuring the team.  Really there are like 15 players that he needs, and he has to get four of them (maybe three) without anyone else jumping in and grabbing them.  To use a poker euphemism he is drawing to a one out with two cards to come.  Only here we could screw him badly if so inclined.
8/11/2012 12:55 AM
sounds like you're taking me up on this bet... GC?
8/11/2012 12:59 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence scud.

Malone I disagree, I know a TON of players that have 27+ ast%, I'll have a min of one of those on the floor for 48 minutes a game. Also the versions of Kobe and PP I'm using have a combined ast% of 34.1%. Lets say the 5th guy I add is around an 8% ast, Howard is close to 5%, and assume my pg is a 30%. That gives me a starting 5 of over 75 and keeps me over 50 for all 48 minutes.

My Def will also have an average of at least 60-70 at all times since Kobe and Howard are a 90 and I'll likely have fewer than 2-3 players that are sub-50.

All of my power players will likely be in the mid-30's for total reb%'s, and my Kobe/PP combo comes in at over a combined 26 in dred%, Howard comes in over 40 total and 28.5 dreb, so my dreb will be close to 100 most of the time.

I agree that there clearly are a few key players that I NEED to complete this team in an optimal way, but you'd have to agree that more than a few picks have already been way out of whack, one hopes to expect much of the same.

I'd say at worse I have an open-ended straight flush draw, meaning I have about 15 outs left (for the nuts) in the deck with two cards to come.
8/11/2012 1:28 AM
malone's right.  Unless your pg has amazing oreb, you're going to get hurt on the boards.  Which is why I said:
edit: scud - I need to see more than 3 picks before I say that.  I'm dubious right now, though.  I'll tell you why after I see what nate puts out as a SL.

8/11/2012 2:58 AM
My experience of double-teaming a dominant scorer is that the more I do so, the better the guy scores on me. Really, really annoying to watch Bird or jordan hit 50 when they are being double-teamed.

The ONLY positive I have ever gotten from double teaming is to go after the opposing PG if his A\T is not the best.
8/11/2012 7:50 AM
Posted by scudmissle on 8/11/2012 12:59:00 AM (view original):
sounds like you're taking me up on this bet... GC?
I'll let you know after the fifth round
8/11/2012 10:21 AM
that's not kosher... run blind. even-steven right now. you guys hate his 3-some, i don't think it's as bad as u say. now or never. don't back-seat me. pull the trigger. molest the monkey. red or black. all or nothing. 3 blind mice... you've already indicated he imploded his team. man up. no chicken-c r a p-let-me-see the rest of the guys. haha.
8/11/2012 10:38 AM
$10 GC then?
8/11/2012 10:53 AM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...13 Next ▸
ODL-40 Team Compositions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.