ODL-40 Team Compositions Topic

I plan on starting all 3, but Kobe will take ALL 13 minutes of Pierce's posiiton when he his not on the floor, so I can have a second team with virtually ZERO usage and NEVER hit the team penalty. Also that means that Howard and Pierce will have at least 13 minutes a game with no Kobe, but one will ALWAYS be on the floor.

I can take a bunch of 17.5 usage 25%+ ast players to play my 48 pg minutes, and take a bunch of no usage PF/C types to do nothing but play D and grab boards.

I NEVER planned on Kobe being there in the middle of the 3rd and considered him over Pierce in the 2nd. One thing I have noticed about the sim is that there seems to be a "clutch" factor at the end of periods/games where the top players seem to "shine". So I figured I HAD to take Kobe there.

Now the hard part is that I've gropped like 26 of my 47 cap on three guys, so I will need to keep the next two starters lower in salary than I would have liked so I can get enough $2.5million players to be my rotation guys. Should be an interesting team to run.

8/10/2012 2:30 PM
Fair enough. But your starting lineup, by my count, already has at least 16 usage points, so there's no question that for the 20-25 minutes all three of those guys are on the floor you'll be wasting usage. And yeah, the salary thing could be an issue. But you're right to think that low usage guys are not too hard to find, especially if you don't need them to play D (and you don't with Dwight and Kobe)

Also, clearly I'm just annoyed cause I was hoping Kobe would somehow fall to me. Or Ginobili. Sigh.
8/10/2012 2:41 PM
also, nate, you have to be an alias of someone. you gonna tell us who you are or keep it a secret ;)?
8/10/2012 2:42 PM
Tar,

Honestly no alias here, long-time fantasy leaguer that learned how WIS works mainly by trial and error (plus reading EVERYTING in the forums.)

I’ll concede that there is clear usage waste for 20-25 min a game, but I believe this is offset by the defensive matchups and positioning issues that this combination creates. I learned from an open league the importance of double teaming a superstar. Played against a guy that had MJ,(and two other high usage guys), so I decided not to double team and MJ dropped a 50 spot on me and I lost.

So, I think Kobe mandates a double team, leaving more open shots for PP and Howard (at least in theory is the WIS sim does what it says it does.) I’ll also be adding something like 200-400 more threes on this team which (again assuming the sim engine does what it says it does) should cause a defensive positioning nightmare for my opponents. Set it at +3 to stop PP, Kobe and my other long-range shooters and Howard and his close to 60% shooting should go crazy on the inside, set it at -3 to stop Howard and my team should be raining down 3’s the entire game.

I definitely noticed the impact on opponents shooting percentage with strong D ratings in the lineup. Again from an open league I have a team with a couple 100’s and four 90’s and my team has been 1 or 2 in lowest FG% against the entire year. My initial plan was to use my first pick on a 90+ defender that could rebound, I would have been happy with other players, but then I had the opportunity to trade up, so Howard gives me the D of other players, comes very close in the rebounding department, and his offense is a complete bonus as far as I’m concerned.

My plan all along was also to get a 90+ D player in round 3. I was shocked that I had three prime ones to pick from, and Kobe seemed to be the one that offered a little more from an all-around perspective. The real issue now is salary, plus there is a $7million guy that looks like he is NEVER drafted in the ODL that I would have taken in round 5. This guy is 50 efg, 27 or so ast, over 100 triples but his usage is too high, and now I have to restructure my entire plan for the remainder of this team. That darn salary cap….what at nightmare for me at this point.
8/10/2012 6:51 PM (edited)
Ha OK. Again, fair enough. Still not entirely sure I believe you on the alias - you just sound too much like a long-timer - but I suppose I have no reason not to.

I will say, though, that I have long found double teaming to be absolutely the most useless thing about the SIM. Never seen any evidence, not even a shred, that it works the way it's supposed to.     
8/10/2012 5:43 PM

long time nate, then you should know not to name undrafted players. hope you can delete him from your post, or i will. thanks..

8/10/2012 6:29 PM
sry was not even thinking about that guy still being on the board, taken care of
8/10/2012 6:37 PM
Did not double team MJ, I'm 33-15 in that league now, guy who beat me that day is 8-40, here is the MJ line:

PLAYER MIN FGM/FGA 3PM/3PA FTM/FTA OREB REB AST BLK STL TO PF TP
92-93 Michael Jordan* 39 20/31 2/4 8/9 3 6 2 0 3 4 2 50
8/10/2012 6:40 PM
nate, the player's name is still mentioned in your long post, 2 times... please remove him, or i will delete the entire post. sorry to be a hard a s s about it, but it is a must to be able to post in this thread. thanks you.
8/10/2012 6:43 PM
And here are three double-team MJ lines:

PLAYER MIN FGM/FGA 3PM/3PA FTM/FTA OREB REB AST BLK STL TO PF TP
92-93 Michael Jordan* 40 10/30 2/8 6/6 3 7 6 2 0 5 3 28
92-93 Michael Jordan* 39 8/23 2/5 9/9 0 6 3 0 3 2 3 27
92-93 Michael Jordan* 48 14/36 2/7 2/2 1 9 4 1 2 9 5 32
8/10/2012 6:48 PM
If it's not fixed now then pls let me know, I had the players I mentioned being drafted #18 and #38, so I'm not sure what I'm missing here unless I somehow do not have my draft board properly updated.
8/10/2012 6:53 PM
thanks, nate!!!
8/10/2012 6:53 PM
Non double teamed MJ 50 points and .645 shooting; double teamed MJ ave 29ppg .360 shooting. I know it is a very small sample size, but I think what WIS says about not double teaming players that were dt'd in RL and seeing thier shooting pct go off the charts is a warning that should be headed.
8/10/2012 6:58 PM
i forget who the owner was, but he recruited 5 other owners and they joined an exhibition league together just to test out the double team theory. each team was comprised of the same players, and same seasons. 3 teams would double team the same player, and three teams would not. jordan was on every team, as was wilt. i forget the other players. in a 10 game season, no would could determine that double teaming had any effect.

then they said the exhibition teams were deprived of certain managerial controls, so they expanded their efforts and all joined an open league at the same time. i think 4 others went in with them. after a full season of an open league, one determination was made, and agreed to by the others, double teaming actually hurt the team's chances when playing each other.

yeah, wis recommends d'teaming, but it is very unreliable. to be able to do this, the team aggregate defense on the floor has to be stout. wis does not actually double team the player through match-ups, rather, as a team as a whole, which makes it obsolete.
8/10/2012 7:34 PM
back in the old days cenquist and I did that in an exhibition league with a few guys we recruited
8/10/2012 8:42 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...13 Next ▸
ODL-40 Team Compositions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.