Previous coach promised minutes? Topic

angmar,

Yes, some people are like the person you mention. They get frustrated when they don't get what they want and they take it out on others. They stop working very hard, or they make demands, or they just quit.

From everything I've seen, those types of people are the exception rather than the rule. Most people don't quit at something if they don't get whatever they want.

Even people who want to do this usually don't because there are often consequences they'd rather avoid.

If you think otherwise, perhaps you should suggest to the person you mention that he should go to his boss and demand an immediately effective raise to double what he presently makes and make it known if that doesn't happen he'll either work very lazily or quit altogether. 
9/7/2012 12:18 PM
Posted by bistiza on 9/7/2012 12:18:00 PM (view original):
angmar,

Yes, some people are like the person you mention. They get frustrated when they don't get what they want and they take it out on others. They stop working very hard, or they make demands, or they just quit.

From everything I've seen, those types of people are the exception rather than the rule. Most people don't quit at something if they don't get whatever they want.

Even people who want to do this usually don't because there are often consequences they'd rather avoid.

If you think otherwise, perhaps you should suggest to the person you mention that he should go to his boss and demand an immediately effective raise to double what he presently makes and make it known if that doesn't happen he'll either work very lazily or quit altogether. 
you obviously have seen a pretty small slice of human kind then. three quarters of people are too lazy to EVEN TRY TO MAKE THE TEAM, if not more. our nature is a slippery slope of ****, we go from bad to worse and then even worse. but shining above the rest, are a noble .1%, who want to sacrifice themselves for the good of the world. 90% of them are just saying that so people will praise them for being selfless, but a good 10% mean it. so unless you are using the words fat, lazy, or slob, you most likely are NOT talking about the majority of americans.
9/7/2012 12:22 PM
Posted by bistiza on 9/7/2012 12:14:00 PM (view original):
For the puposes of the game, I'm suggesting adding a practice option to the list of those which already exist.

It would function like study hall - you may not have to use it, but it's there. If a kid drops GPA, you give him study hall. Well, if a kid loses WE or makes demands, you could give him "run laps" or something similar, and this would alleivate those issues the same way study hall works with GPA.

Just like study hall, it would require strategy to use, because it would take away from practice time which could be used elsewhere. Along with this, it would be nice if, as I suggested earlier in the thread, there were ways to know if a kid was more or less prone to losing WE or complaining, so we could avoid those kids if we want to avoid use of "run laps" practice time.

Overall, I think implementing something along those levels, if done properly, would add a measure of realistic depth to the game.
this is quite weird.  you are suggesting a practice plan option that would take away from minutes used to improve skills, to put into an option whose purpose would be to increase work ethic?   you do realize of course that the resulting reduction of practice minutes would negate any beneficial effect of increasing the work ethic, right? 
9/7/2012 12:29 PM
I have long wanted options that could be used to ENCOURAGE kids to quit

- Jones, you owe me 100 suicides

- Guess what kid, you get to wash the uniforms this week

- Hey kid, did I mention that I doubt that you will get more than a handful of minutes next season too?

- Hey kid, here are the keys to my car, rather than bother with these next few drills, go pick up my dry cleaning?

9/7/2012 12:31 PM
?three quarters of people are too lazy to EVEN TRY TO MAKE THE TEAM, if not more.

You seem to be forgetting we're not talking about people who don't even try (in terms of HD) but those who not only try but also are good enough to be recruited to be on the team.

Discussion of "the majority of Americans" doesn't have anything to do with it.

milk,

The point of the practice option would be twofold:

First, it would prevent a player from LOSING his work ethic, even if he weren't happy with his situation or otherwise had a reason where he would lose some points there. This is the primary goal, the same way adding minutes to study hall's primary goal is to prevent a player from failing and becoming ineligable.

Second, it would provide an option for coaches to directly improve a player's WE, the way they can with other abilities. This way, if you as a coach for whatever reason want to increase a player's WE, you have a way to do it.

If you happen to think it would negate any beneficial effects, that's your decision to make.
9/7/2012 12:37 PM
fd343ny,

Just cut the kid if you don't want them.
9/7/2012 12:38 PM
Posted by bistiza on 9/7/2012 9:02:00 AM (view original):
The thread is this long because the original discussion was good

I agree to disagree on this
9/7/2012 12:39 PM
Posted by bistiza on 9/7/2012 12:38:00 PM (view original):
fd343ny,

sure, but if you cut him you suffer a rep hit (depending on whether you signed him)

and if you cut him you dont get the $$$ until a season's delay

if we are giving texture to player attitudes, practices, etc, why not this too?  it happens in real life.
9/7/2012 12:49 PM
Posted by bistiza on 9/7/2012 12:18:00 PM (view original):
angmar,

Umm, yeah, we both work for the Feds under a structured salary system, so going to our boss and demanding a raise wouldn't quite work anyway, but nice try.

I'm just not quite understanding the logic behind how "punishing" someone (running laps) is supposed to RAISE a person's work ethic.  Damn near EVERY person I've EVER known from my kid all the way through the military and up to and including this Fed job gets ****** when they get punished, not motivated.  I'm going to have to disagree and say YOUR guy is the exception to the rule.

Someone getting motivated when they get punished, ha ha  **rolls eyes**.  Talk about living in a dream world.  I sincerely hope that you don't supervise people wherever you work because if you do I could honestly see some of them going postal after listening to your rah, rah "motivational" speeches  **rolls eyes yet again**.  Have to agree with Gill, if that's what you've "seen", you've "seen" a very, very limited amount of the REAL world **rolls eyes a third time**.
9/7/2012 1:25 PM
Just so you're aware bistiza, the comments above about "escalated quickly," "got out of hand fast," and "jumped up a notch" were not criticism aimed at you or anyone in particular, just us goofs quoting a silly movie.  Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

Also I wasn't actually suggesting the kid should leave if you run him; the Hoosiers reference was for fun.  There are kids who might do that, but I'm not sure how it could work programming-wise since you need to have twelve guys on the team (maybe replace him with a walk-on).

As for telling whether a kid is likely to have a WE drop or not, either from this running idea or in the original context of him being uphappy with his PT, again, there are clues in the coach e-mails and scouting trips about that; none of us who has said this is making it up.  The kid who "rides the bus" is probably your kind of guy; the kid whose "rape charges were dismissed" is probably not.  There are plenty of others, mostly equally blunt, which one learns as one goes.  They are also tips on whether the kid will take a redshirt, although again it's not 100%, nor should it be.

in real life a kid may go Reeves Nelson on you even if he was a Boy Scout earlier in life.  You can't reasonably expect what a kid tells you when he's in high school to play out in college.  A lot changes in those years.  I think they deal with that decently in this game.
9/7/2012 1:38 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 9/7/2012 12:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 9/7/2012 12:38:00 PM (view original):
fd343ny,

sure, but if you cut him you suffer a rep hit (depending on whether you signed him)

and if you cut him you dont get the $$$ until a season's delay

if we are giving texture to player attitudes, practices, etc, why not this too?  it happens in real life.
Reality has long-escaped this thread.
9/7/2012 1:53 PM

Sorry; that's not an option here because I WON'T agree to disagree in this particular instance.

The original discussion was good for a time before certain people sidetracked it (and I'm sad to say, I responded to them). If you disagree, either defend your opinion or acknowledge you have no defense for it.

fd343ny,

You shouldn't suffer a rep hit if you didn't sign the kid.

If you did, then you shouldn't be wanting to cut him in the first place.
Umm, yeah, we both work for the Feds under a structured salary system, so going to our boss and demanding a raise wouldn't quite work anyway, but nice try.
You're missing the point. If it helps, assume we're talking about someone else who CAN demand a raise or threaten to work less hard/quit their job. Try making that ultimatum and see if it gets you anywhere then - that's the point.

Imagine being in your military job and telling the person you report to that you're not doing what they want unless you get what you want, and if they refuse, you're going to quit. I bet that wouldn't fly there, either.

People who get "punished" as you put it tend to fall into line with the rules, provided they know why they were punished and what is behavior is expected to be changed. It may not mean their work ethic is raised, but it does mean they'll do what they are supposed to do. The only way to reflect this in the game is to put it under something called "work ethic", but that doesn't mean it would necessarily be reflected as a rise in someone's work ethic in real life.

The point for HD is I want the kid to show me some respect as coach. He gets to ask for minutes (or whatever) but if I say no, then that's the way it goes down because I'm in charge. If he can't do that, then he can run laps until he's ready to do it.

piper,

You've got some good thoughts in this post about how kids may react and how the game gives clues in emails. Thanks for the input on that. I'll try to look for those clues in the game.

9/7/2012 2:03 PM
Posted by bistiza on 9/7/2012 2:03:00 PM (view original):

Sorry; that's not an option here because I WON'T agree to disagree in this particular instance.

The original discussion was good for a time before certain people sidetracked it (and I'm sad to say, I responded to them). If you disagree, either defend your opinion or acknowledge you have no defense for it.

fd343ny,

You shouldn't suffer a rep hit if you didn't sign the kid.

If you did, then you shouldn't be wanting to cut him in the first place.
You're missing the point. If it helps, assume we're talking about someone else who CAN demand a raise or threaten to work less hard/quit their job. Try making that ultimatum and see if it gets you anywhere then - that's the point.

Imagine being in your military job and telling the person you report to that you're not doing what they want unless you get what you want, and if they refuse, you're going to quit. I bet that wouldn't fly there, either.

People who get "punished" as you put it tend to fall into line with the rules, provided they know why they were punished and what is behavior is expected to be changed. It may not mean their work ethic is raised, but it does mean they'll do what they are supposed to do. The only way to reflect this in the game is to put it under something called "work ethic", but that doesn't mean it would necessarily be reflected as a rise in someone's work ethic in real life.

The point for HD is I want the kid to show me some respect as coach. He gets to ask for minutes (or whatever) but if I say no, then that's the way it goes down because I'm in charge. If he can't do that, then he can run laps until he's ready to do it.

piper,

You've got some good thoughts in this post about how kids may react and how the game gives clues in emails. Thanks for the input on that. I'll try to look for those clues in the game.

really?
 you continue to amaze. every time i lower my opinion of you, you scream, ITS NOT LOW ENOUGH YET!! after your child-like insistence on everyone "agreeing to disagree" (is this kindergarden? i thought people here were adults, not five year olds), you won't even do it now? what a joke. you are a joke, and not in the haha funny sort of way.
9/7/2012 2:25 PM
If we are talking about making a specific kid run laps, say for instance your C who is a JR and tanking in WE, why would his WE increase? He already isn't getting the court time he feels he should get on top of now having to run laps because he's not happy with the direction the program is going. One aspect I don't believe you equate in your theory here is that sometimes guys don't realize they are actually a worse player than who is in front of them. Of course it's obvious with the standouts, the stars, blue chip athletes who just can flat out play, but if you're starting players over a guy because they have more "potential" for growth than this upperclassmen, as a coach you can see this but as a player it would absolutely boggle their mind at the present time.

Making this type of player run extra laps would only serve to expedite his exit from your team. The player is required to give more and gain nothing. From a players point of view this would not work. I've seen plenty of people quit after being punished by the coach... If you make one player run extra laps, you effectively make that player the black sheep of the team. To gain any positive WE from a single player... you'd effectively have to punish the entire team for one players lack of desire. In the military everyone is punished for the mistake of one because they operate as a single unit. The same process is generally used in team sports.
9/7/2012 2:34 PM
Posted by bistiza on 9/7/2012 12:37:00 PM (view original):
?three quarters of people are too lazy to EVEN TRY TO MAKE THE TEAM, if not more.

You seem to be forgetting we're not talking about people who don't even try (in terms of HD) but those who not only try but also are good enough to be recruited to be on the team.

Discussion of "the majority of Americans" doesn't have anything to do with it.

milk,

The point of the practice option would be twofold:

First, it would prevent a player from LOSING his work ethic, even if he weren't happy with his situation or otherwise had a reason where he would lose some points there. This is the primary goal, the same way adding minutes to study hall's primary goal is to prevent a player from failing and becoming ineligable.

Second, it would provide an option for coaches to directly improve a player's WE, the way they can with other abilities. This way, if you as a coach for whatever reason want to increase a player's WE, you have a way to do it.

If you happen to think it would negate any beneficial effects, that's your decision to make.
I don't "think" it will negate any beneficial effects, IT WILL.   the sole purpose of work ethic in this game (if you aren't aware) is to increase the rate that skills go up.    you already said before (i think) in one of your earlier posts that you worry that the lower work ethic of the junior you aren't playing will cause him to not improve enough to be a bench player in his senior season.

now, if you were to take minutes out of his LP, per, pass, etc and put them into "running laps" to get his work ethic to either increase or just stop going down (doesn't matter which really), any benefit you get from the work ethic is offset by the fact that less minutes are being practiced in that skill.  it would have no positive effect on the game. 

oh yeah, and there is an option for coaches to increase a players work ethic, it's called PLAY HIM.  most of us have used this option a couple times at least
9/7/2012 2:47 PM
◂ Prev 1...28|29|30|31|32 Next ▸
Previous coach promised minutes? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.